Author Topic: Can't be easy can it! - Update!  (Read 1850 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Can't be easy can it! - Update!
« on: February 09, 2013 - 09:35:38 PM »
working on my cuda front suspension rebuild tonight, I have one LBJ taper that just will not budge.  After trying the pickle fork and bj puller, I resorted to cutting off the bottom of the LBJ so it will fit in a press and it will still not budge!!!   :banghead:

On top of that I am trying to get the Upper BJ out of the control arm...using the proper socket and an impact gun and it will just not move.   :bricks1:

I am just about ready to  :catfight: :hammer:

The upper I think I will take the controll arm off and soak the ball joint in something for a week to see if it will losen up.

The lower, I am stumped...other then a bigger press!! 

Any thoughts?????

Not quite how I planned my night to go!!! :spank:

Jason
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013 - 02:12:22 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline 73restomod

Re: Can't be easy can it!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:05:42 PM »
For the upper and lower, as long as paint/powdercoat  isn't an issue, just use a torch. Heat them up, but no need to get red hot, normally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:40:18 PM »
 :iagree:  I've broken tools trying to separate parts that a little heat had falling apart.  If you don't have Oxy/Acetelyne you could probably get away with a simple MAPP gas torch that plumbers use.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:45:44 PM »
Had the same problem with my upper ball joint. Took the UCA out (was replacing bushings anyway) and heated that baby up with an acetelyne torch and it finally came out. I know they can be a massive headache!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:56:52 PM »
Heating it will work wonders.  I spray penetrating oil on things stuck, apply heat with my torch and usually it comes apart the first time.   Good luck.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013 - 12:05:40 AM »
Thanks guys.

All I have is a little propane torch...I will heat up both parts with that and see if it works.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline spamtank

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013 - 08:27:34 AM »
Thanks guys.

All I have is a little propane torch...I will heat up both parts with that and see if it works.

Jason

Both pieces will heat up.  I would try to keep the heat on the LCA causing it to expand quicker than the ball joint.  That difference in expansion is what will help break it lose.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013 - 08:30:38 AM »
Both pieces will heat up.  I would try to keep the heat on the LCA causing it to expand quicker than the ball joint.  That difference in expansion is what will help break it lose.

Yep...I meant I will heat up botht eh LCA and UCA and see it it helps.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline spamtank

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013 - 09:36:31 AM »
A trick I learned from my dad, and that I've had success with is tapping around the outside of a part with a hammer.  That will stretch the metal a very little bit, which may be enough to loosen time and rust's grip on it.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: Can't be easy can it! - Update
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013 - 02:08:04 PM »
OK...50% success rate today.

Tried some heat on the LCA today, put it in the press (this is the u-joint / bearing press that you can rent at various places) tightned it up with the impact gun and then gave the screw end of the press a whack with the BFH and the taper finally poped out!!! :clapping: :clapping: :bananasmi

The ball joint in the UCA, not so good...put some heat on it tried the impact gun, no luck, tried my breaker bar, and thougth is was moving, wrong, it was my breaker bar well breaking...yep snaped the 1/2 inch lug on my bar in half.  doh!! 

Oh well...keep trying I guess!

Jason 
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: Can't be easy can it! - Update!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013 - 11:30:28 PM »
PM sent