Author Topic: SHOCKS - Opinions requested please  (Read 3728 times)

Offline jhaag

Re: SHOCKS - Opinions requested please
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013 - 05:55:44 PM »

'm brake torquing off the line at about 2,500 RPM's.
I just have the stock snubber, I didn't know there was an adjustment. The ears that it mounts to the rear end with were bent when I got it, so I just beat them back to flat.
 I have not payed any attention to it, maybe it's bent and doing me no good at all. I really don't understand what the snubber does. How about a quick explanation?
THANK YOU!

couple things here. because you are torquing up to 2500 rpm you are preloading the rear suspension and not allowing it to work. you are also negating some of the torque multiplication of the convertor. having said that this is the way some setups work best. have you tried leaving at an idle or lower rpm? the snubber is used to plant the tires as the rear end tries to rotate upwards on acceleration. you need to have some clearance between the snubber and the pad on the frame as the car sits at rest. start with an inch or 2 and adjust up or down until you find the best result. if yours isn't adjustable you can trim the rubber or add washers. best bet is an adjustable one. rear shock rates also affect how quickly the axle rotates to plant the tires. you need to be aware of the extension rate for shocks mounted behind the axle. All of these things work in relation to each other and need to be tested. I would buy some good shocks first and test all the other variables 1 at a time and asses there effect. if all of this confuses you there are many articles written with diagrams that will help you understand what is happening to your rear end when you drop the hammer. not always as easy as some think, and the quicker you go the more critical each piece becomes. good luck

love 70 Challengers

Offline Glennster

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013 - 09:19:30 PM »
YUP.... The more I learn, the more confused I get. It was a lot easier in the 70's when I was a young Motocrosser, put it in second gear, when the gate drops, dump the clutch and stuff it in the first corner.

I never thought about the fact that I am preloading the suspension when brake torquing......
I've never tried leaving the line at idle............
It will be another 60 days or so before I can get to the track here in cold as crap Indiana!

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013 - 03:06:00 AM »
Here's a pic of the adjustable pinion snubber under my 69 barracuda.

I fine tune it with some 1/4" aluminium shims I made that go between the snubber and diff housing.
You can see one in the pic.
Abt 3/4" away from the floor at rest is a good place to start.

My car works spot on for a budget chassis tune.
This is what it consists of.
Engine is all iron 440.
NO sway bars.
Front has 6cyl torsion bars and cheap 3-way shocks set on softest setting.
Rear has superstock springs,adjustable pinion snubber and cheap 3-way shocks LHR set on softest,RHR set at firmest setting.

Here's an 1/8 mile vid

1968 Barracuda v 2000 Commodore
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline Glennster

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013 - 06:37:42 AM »
Very cool, it looks like your rear end doesn't squat much.
THANKS!

Offline mr_340

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013 - 08:50:49 AM »
Nice vid of the Cuda :thumbsup:

A leaf spring car should actually rise in the rear as it launches(as his does).

I switched to a set of Rancho 9000 series on my challenger and I get much better body separation than with the old Mopar shocks.

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013 - 08:57:44 AM »
Here's a couple of pics showing staged and launch.
Shows the body separation real well.

Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline mr_340

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013 - 09:43:10 AM »
 :thumbsup: and a little air under the left front :cheers: