Author Topic: 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe Rocker Moldings  (Read 14452 times)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
Re: 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe Rocker Moldings
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013 - 04:21:50 PM »
Sorry I never replied.  i looked for it just now, but the site is lost.  Did you ever decide which way you wanted to install them?

Offline kudakoda

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013 - 10:00:42 PM »
Up
Thx

Offline MoparPhil

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013 - 04:25:01 AM »
Beautiful car. I also have a Gran Coupe. I think it was about 10 years ago I found a set of those door panels with the removable orange trim on Ebay and bought them for something like $335. Then they guy contacted me and asked me if I wanted to buy the rocker moulding and stupid me I said no. I said no because back then I wanted the car to look like a 'Cuda but now I kind of wish I had made it more original. I wish I would have bought it then because you don't see it very often at the swap meets. Good luck with your car.

Offline 1970GranCoupeConvert

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013 - 03:27:46 PM »
Greetings,

I am new to the forum and I found this post on a Google search.

I am also trying to mount Gran Coupe rocker moldings onto my 1970 Barracuda and I saw the description about using generic plastic molding clips to mount the OEM rocker moldings...Very cleaver idea!!!

The question I have is regarding using the clipped pieces to shim up the modified plastic clips.   Can you PLEASE explain a bit more on how you did this?

Also there was a comment about how the plastic flexed a bit when the molding was installed...so...would you do this same technique again or would you try another method.

Where did you find the generic plastic molding clips?

Are there other molding clips for perhaps another year of car/model that would work???  I have to use similar clips since the OEM holes are still there in the rocker panel of my car so I cannot get too creative with the diameter of the clip insert.

What other methods have guys done to mount these rockers because the OEM pieces are not available.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe Convertible
First Car (purchased in October 1985)
Drove it throughout high school and early college (still do)
Full Frame off (K frame off) Rotisserie Restoration completed in 1991
Originally (and still is) a Rally Red, Black top with Charcoal/Silver Interior
340 CID with Holley Pro-Jection 4Di
LA 727 GearVendor  Overdrive
390:1 8 3/4 Rear end
Rally Rims (color matched)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013 - 12:29:15 PM »
GC-Convert,

Glad to be of help!  And  it is great to see another Gran Coupe being restored as a Gran Coupe!! :cheers:

I bought the clips at the Don Garlits Mopar Show from a vendor of generic clips.  unfortunatly i don't recall the part number, he just had a bin full, and i figured what the heck, give'em a try!

I noticed that the length of the "post" on the clip was just a bit short of allowing it to 'pop' into the hole in the rocker panel.  There are indentations at every 1/8" inch or so at each end of the clip, and after having clipped off the ends (they are about 3" long) to fit inside the molding (They need to be just under 2 1/2" in length), i used the end pieces that i clipped off, and stuffed one in between the clip, and the molding. It pushed the "post" out enough to 'pop' into the hole.

I didn't try other clips from other years, but it is possible that there might be an alternative.  The width of the post in the generic clip just happened to be the right size, so i guess i got lucky in that regard.

As far as another method, i do not know of any. Finding a analternate clip is probably the best idea. I tried to make my own, using stiff plastic like a credit card, and black nylon round retaining posts thtt i bought at Lowes, but found the generic clips just seemed to work better.
Maybe someone else can chime in. 

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013 - 09:49:15 PM »
I thought, I replied Up in this thread but it must have been another. Yes definitely UP.  :2thumbs:

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013 - 01:51:00 PM »
GranCuda1970,

What clips did you use to install your rocker moldings?

Did you use the EB3-GranCoupe's method of modifying some generic clips (very cleaver by the way) or did you come up with a better way.

I have been driving around for almost 20 years with the rocker moldings sitting in my garage and holes down the sides of my car so now I am finally inspired to get-er-done!!!

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013 - 07:15:06 PM »
My Rocker Moldings are a bit different Mine has 9 countersunk holes on each molding not sure if factory or someone machined in extra countersunk holes. I was going to make some clips that were close to original but just used some screws and it holds just fine.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013 - 09:04:05 AM »
Thanks!!!

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013 - 04:22:40 PM »
I only have one gran coupe rocker molding. I've been using the fish gill moldings off a Cuda. Does anyone have only one they might want to sell me?

Offline GCC

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013 - 09:17:14 PM »
I have a spare I could part with.  It's a little rough, though, but could be fixed up to look really good.  It is pitted on the bottom-most row, and it was drilled - 5 holes - for attaching along the rocker panel.  The two holes, one on each far end, are still good and have the counter-sinks.  It doesn't have any of its original paint.  It is mostly straight but would need some coaxing to get a few waves out.  I'm in Milwaukee; I could post some photos if you are interested...   :cheers:

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013 - 10:01:33 PM »
Thanks GCC,   I'd like to take a look at a few pics if it's not to much trouble. If you want send them to my e-mail address. job346@aol.com

Offline GCC

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013 - 09:52:30 PM »
Will get you some pics this weekend.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015 - 12:32:59 PM »
I wanted to use this thread to see if any body has a solution to the clips, any body have anything new???

Offline Edison1970

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015 - 06:38:53 PM »
A friend and I found some clips at carlise last year.  I believe that they were a clip made for GM.  He tried them and he said they worked.  He is out of town now but when he gets back, I'll have him take a picture and I'll post them here.