May Issue of Mopar Muscle

Author Topic: May Issue of Mopar Muscle  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: May Issue of Mopar Muscle
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005 - 12:08:36 AM »
Is that German dude still CEO of DC? What the hell do Germans know about musclecars? All he can do when he sees a new model is say "YAA" YAA!" On't hav Bier an Brat my comrade? ;D
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005 - 08:19:36 AM »
" On't hav Bier an Brat my comrade? ;D

Wouldn't that be "mein heir"??  (comrade is Russian)

Anyhoo...It almost seems like the Charger is the 'cheap' version of the 300.  The Intrepid to the LHS/Concord. 

It's a double-edged sword, really.  On one hand, if the Charger sells well, people like us are darned because it won't evolve into a design we will like.  On the other hand, if it doesn't sell well (because it looks ugly, and nothing like its namesake) then DC will think nobody wants a RWD V-8 Hemi car, and scrap production altogether, rather than redesign the vehicle, like they should!

"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005 - 11:25:37 AM »

if it doesn't sell well then DC will think nobody wants a RWD V-8 Hemi car, and scrap production altogether

Hopefully they will see the new mustangs record sales and finally get a clue.

Offline 6pkrunner

• Evil Monkey in Runner
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005 - 05:18:25 AM »
The car would not be that bad.........if they had called it something else!!!!!!

They honestly believe that the majority of the buying public are in the market for large  Mercedes-entry-level sedans. The fact that to get more exposure in NASCAR with the entry got then to draw on a successful name from the past. They wanted all the positive goodwill they could get. I'll wager they hadn't counted on such a backlash of negative feelings. You know there is heat in a lot of boardrooms there. However sales will be the determing factor and if the Average Joe and Jane buy it just as a car and nothing more, then Daimler will be vindicated.

Offline Burpin Chunks

• http://mikescuda.net/cuda-challenger/burpin_chunks
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005 - 12:53:40 PM »
And if it fails, the charger name will die with it. Only then will they redesign another car too look like the classic Challenger and only then will burpin support them.

on a side note, the guy in charge of DC, was he in charger back when they faced bankruptcy.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005 - 04:56:42 PM »
The car would not be that bad.........if they had called it something else!!!!!!
:iagree:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005 - 08:19:01 PM »
" April Fools!!! That Charger is not the real new Charger, THIS is the new Charger! See how much
it looks like the 1999 concept?" Ahhhh, now don't we all feel better now!"  Wheww that was
close one!! Kinda like that Coke II fiasco, that Coka Cola tried several years back. "We were just
testing you...." ha ha ha
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005 - 08:44:08 PM »
Yay!  This is the news we all wish was true!

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005 - 08:51:42 PM »
Hey April can I have one of those temporary housing facilities? Cuz if I keep playing on the puter
here I gonna end up in something that looks remarkably similar to what you got pictured there!! :stomp:
Jeff

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005 - 09:59:46 PM »
April you keep this up and you're gonna need a property management license!  lol 

Lease with option to buy!!  Cute one room chalet with view!!  35 sq ft of bliss with cathedral ceilings and large main entrance!  Many to choose from!  Seller can modify color at will!  For info . . contact April at www.cc.com!     :grinyes:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005 - 10:11:04 PM »
Nice one 4C, you can really tell that you work in Real Estate!!!!!  You can even make a doghouse sound good!

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005 - 03:19:28 PM »
Hi,
  Well IMO, the Charger name got desicrated(sp) and thrown in the trash can in the
early 80's with that piece of c$%p Charger 2.2 (Omni 2 door). You guys with Challengers must just hate the Sapporo version of the Challenger that ruined that good name! Same deal!! As lack luster as the new
Charger is, and certainly not in line with what we hoped for, its a HUGE step out of the
trash can that the 2.2 carried the Charger name into!!  With a family of 4 like I have, and the new Charger, I'd be happy to haul them around in it! In the mean time, lets hope they sell good enough
that maybe an update or two down the road will bring the Charger to a design closer to what we want.
Hemi RWD....Thats the right direction, and a good start!!  $.02    Jeff

as much as I agree with the 80;s charger being a disgrace,  It was a fast little cheap car for its day.  not the torque of the 383/440 but for what the market was getting back then, It was a fast little 2 dr (read 2 doors) that was decent looking for its day.  Again read not a 69 hemi.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005 - 08:24:50 PM »
Charger 2.2....You're not happy with the new Charger, well I felt your pain 20+ years ago. In
the early eighties, the muscle cars were still running around fairly plentiful and to see a 68 Charger and
a 2.2 at the same street light was enough to make you launch lunch on the spot with the sight
of the way things were going!! I have a hard time believing anybody on this sight 40 years old or
older don't feel the same way! The 2006 Charger is big jump in the right direction. I think that
new hemi will have no trouble haulin' those two extra doors around! Now I'm up to $.06 worth of
IMO.  Jeff

Offline GoMango

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005 - 09:06:16 PM »
I left my copy at work (oops, reading Mopar Muscle on the job...maybe not a good idea :spank:) and it stated the new Charger is geared towards younger males (30's & 40's) that are doing fairly well (65-85K per yr) and want a sporty 4-dr with excellent performance??

I'll bring the article home tomorrow and post it if someone hasn't already. I will agree that they have missed the mark with the nameplate. It's a good performing and driving car, just NOT a Charger. I'll say what others have said "take a look at the Mustang"...ouch, that hurt to to talk about the "other" bad 4-letter word :dogpile:
70 Challenger R/T
(Back on the road--1st time since '96)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005 - 09:47:42 PM »
Here's the pic  (a little late)

Funny :grinyes: