Author Topic: Valve steam height  (Read 1881 times)

Offline andyswed

Valve steam height
« on: February 20, 2013 - 08:11:14 AM »
Am doing 383 heads (902 cast numbers) and is putting in bigger valves . i did measure the original valve steam height but they had been done some time before.
Tried to search a bit on the web but havent found what the install height should be. does anyone know the right steam heigth ?

Since the engine owner is going to use standard rockers  :( it would be nice tho have them as correct as possible. I am trying to convice him to use roller rockers , which i think he need beacuse we are putting in a crower 32243 cam ,but until then i need the height.

In chrysler workshop the only tell what tool to use .

Thanks  from Andyswed..

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
Re: Valve steam height
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013 - 08:57:12 AM »
i am sure there is a measurement for that but it is all gonna depend on how far the new seats are cut for the valves. new bigger valves will help keep the valve heads from being sunk to deep in the seats of the head. personally by the time you do an old set of heads right assuming you will need need new guides and valves springs retainers locks the whole nine yards so to speak you will be within spitting distance of a brand new set of aluminum heads.  :2cents:
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013 - 11:52:55 AM »

I love it when my valves steam, it's quite a site!

:poopoke:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013 - 08:24:05 PM »
Am doing 383 heads (902 cast numbers) and is putting in bigger valves . i did measure the original valve steam height but they had been done some time before.
Tried to search a bit on the web but havent found what the install height should be. does anyone know the right steam heigth ?

Since the engine owner is going to use standard rockers  :( it would be nice tho have them as correct as possible. I am trying to convice him to use roller rockers , which i think he need beacuse we are putting in a crower 32243 cam ,but until then i need the height.

In chrysler workshop the only tell what tool to use .

Thanks  from Andyswed..

I believe the stock spec it 1.850". Are you workign in a shop? The AERA has all kinds of rebuilding manuals for various engine specifications. Oversize valves means the seats need to be cut and the installed heights need to be correct.

Offline andyswed

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013 - 05:15:15 PM »
I believe the stock spec it 1.850". Are you workign in a shop? The AERA has all kinds of rebuilding manuals for various engine specifications. Oversize valves means the seats need to be cut and the installed heights need to be correct.
Hi..
Thanks for your answer. No im not working in a shop,but been doing engines mostly european racing engines the last 20 years as ahobby. I have a mira and all the tools i need to cut valves and will do a inner radius and bowl jobb. But i need the install heigth on the steam to get as close as possible to stock . And the owner of the car knows alu heads might bee close in price to what i am doing ,but he want a retro look on the engine in his 68 charger.
I did meassure the old valves but they had been cut once before.
Thanks again ,

Offline 73restomod

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013 - 11:19:58 PM »
The installed height is 1.88 for the valve spring, I cannot remember the overall stem length on the valve, I will post it shortly.

The overall valve length is 4.86-4.87

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013 - 11:27:53 PM by 73restomod »

Offline andyswed

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013 - 02:20:10 PM »
Hi again.
Did get a good head to measure from and did get it right. the 383 now runs like a dream and the car owner is happy. next time i will spell "steam" properly  :droolingbounce:.
thanks for your answers,and now i am going to the garage and start on my 65 new yorker whit 413/426 engine, so i can kill the evil 64 galaxie who is driving around here, :burnout:
Andyswed.