'70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels

Author Topic: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels  (Read 4167 times)

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
'70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels
« on: February 20, 2013 - 02:49:23 PM »
Back in 2003, the prior owner installed the crappy vacuum formed Palco (DashTop) repro panels throughout the car (kick, door, rear qtr, and seat backs).  I know they were the only repros available at the time, but now that I've gutted the interior, I don't want these going back in the car.  I REALLY don't like them.  Several years ago, I acquired from various sources: excellent condition black original door panels, and hardtop rear qtr panels (it was a set that the seller didn't want to break up); excellent condition black original kick panels; poor condition white original seat backs; poor condition white original convertible rear qtr panels.  The plan was to have these panels (except the kick panels; they're fine the way they are) "restored" and/or color changed (with vinyl) by Just Dashes (or a similar shop).  Of course, I'd much rather have good condition white originals that just need some cleaning and conditioning to look nearly new.  The other preference would be that Metro start making the rear panels for the convertibles.  I have read great reviews on their other interior panels.  I emailed Metro the other day and this was their response: "We do not make the convertible panels at this time, and I am unsure of when we may have them at this time. We tried to do a group-buy last year, but the response was underwhelming to put it mildly."  Anyway, I've attached some photos of the original seat backs and rear qtr panels to get some member's opinions on their condition, and/or if it's worth the $$$ to cover them in the vinyl.  Since I live in the Los Angeles area, I will be taking the original panels to Just Dashes (30 min drive) to get an estimate.  All comments, thoughts, suggestions, advice and opinions appreciated.  Also, if anyone has any decent panels, or any leads on where I could get some, please let me know.  Thanks.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline wiging19

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013 - 03:48:10 PM »
Yours look much better than my original pieces.  There have been several threads on this issue over the years.   I do know that several people did clean up the originals and used a dye to make them look original.   The end result was very impressive from what I saw from their pictures.  You'll definitely get some good feedback on this question.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013 - 04:30:05 PM »
Yours look much better than my original pieces.  There have been several threads on this issue over the years.   I do know that several people did clean up the originals and used a dye to make them look original.   The end result was very impressive from what I saw from their pictures.  You'll definitely get some good feedback on this question.

Thanks.  I'm happy that these originals are are at least intact (i.e. w/o cracks, holes, missing chunks, and not warped).  Sadly though, based on my assessment of their condition, I figure they are only candidates for vinyl covering.  I'm fairly certain they will have to first be sanded, and/or the worst texture damage/wear will have to be filled with something to make the surface uniform before vacuum adhering the vinyl.  Otherwise, all the gross imperfections will show through the vinyl.  I've read some of the older threads on this topic, but wanted to post something new with picts of my worst panels.  Although my excellent condition door panels are black, I wouldn't want to try dying them white (instead of vinyl covering for a color change), because then the panels will have mismatched surface textures.  BTW - My plan was not to do anything with the excellent condition black original kick panels.  I figured since they're down low, and pretty much under the dash, it wouldn't be that noticeable if they didn't have the same surface texture as the vinyl covered door panels.  Am I right in thinking this way?  I know it's a matter of opinion or personal preference, but it wouldn't be that much more $$$ to have them covered.  The only reason for me to do so would be to have panel uniformity (i.e. look and feel/touch) throughout the car.  Then that would leave only the original A-pillar trim pieces, and the center console as uncovered and with original texture.  I sure wish that Metro made the convertible rears.  That would solve everything.  Then I could offset the cost by selling my original pieces.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline Fern

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013 - 04:38:57 PM »
I read some where that if you apply heat to the panels, they will reform to there previous state. The chalkiness will go away and then you can dye them with SEM trim paint.
I will try to find the thread and list it.

The seat back panels you have listed are repoped.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013 - 04:40:44 PM »
For whatever reason, white panels take the most abuse. It seems they get eaten by the sun. Maybe you can find a black pair of panels and re-dye them, but since this is a convertible, they are probably scare too.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013 - 05:12:47 PM »
I read some where that if you apply heat to the panels, they will reform to there previous state. The chalkiness will go away and then you can dye them with SEM trim paint.
I will try to find the thread and list it.

The seat back panels you have listed are repoped.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Yes, I read the thread about someone's success with carefully using a heat gun to remove the mild chaulking on his panels.  However, I don't believe his were as deteriorated as mine are.  The texture is completely gone in lots of areas.  Regarding the Metro seat back panels:  Yes, I am aware that they are available.  Believe me, I would buy those and the door panels in a heartbeat if the convertible rears were also available.  I really don't want to have mismatched panels in the car.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013 - 05:26:21 PM »
For whatever reason, white panels take the most abuse. It seems they get eaten by the sun. Maybe you can find a black pair of panels and re-dye them, but since this is a convertible, they are probably scare too.

True.  I have seen some black ones come up for sale now-and-then over the years, but never pulled the trigger on any of them.  If I could find original convertible rear panels, and seat backs in black (or other colors) in nearly as good a condition of my original black door panels, I would certainly rather get those and re-dye them white; over having what I have covered in vinyl.

Here are some picts I saved from sellers with the rears:

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013 - 11:55:04 PM »
By the way - why would Metro make ALL the other E-body interior panels without a "pre-sale" minimum, and not the convertible rears?  Obviously, "pre-sales" on the other panels weren't necessary, because they're still available ("post-sale").

Offline wiging19

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013 - 01:06:42 AM »
Part of the problem is 1970 convertible production was less than 3,900 vehicles.  Even fewer were sold in 1971 (less than 1,900).  With attrition over forty plus years you are looking at around possibly 2,000 cars at best.  Although these days’ cars I thought were just rust buckets are being brought back to life because of all the goodies available to meet the demand for parts.  When Paco started making interior parts for the challengers it was exciting news considering no one else offered them for so many years.  Even though they were not perfect matches to production they improved the look and feel of the cars significantly.  Now there are more people offering the product today and prices have steadily gone up for these items.  I believe I replaced my interior with Paco ones and had to cut out the power window slots.  No big deal.  If having as close to original is important to you then it is only a matter of time before what you need is available.  Hang in there so much of what was unobtainium in prior years are readily available for a price.  The problem is a lot of people bought new interiors when they first came out and probably want to get at least ten years wear out of them before replacing.  Eventually the demand will be there and they will produce what you want.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013 - 01:14:21 AM »
The Just Dashes won't have 100% correct grain, but they'll at least fit and look okay from 5' away.

$$$, but right now, that's all you have unless you find mint rear panels.  Might as well search for unicorns and leprechauns.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Fern

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013 - 05:36:38 PM »
Tony's parts has some on there site. Call them for condition.

Look at the end of the page.

http://www.tonysparts.com/BrowseResults.asp

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013 - 07:19:08 PM »
The Just Dashes won't have 100% correct grain, but they'll at least fit and look okay from 5' away.

$$$, but right now, that's all you have unless you find mint rear panels.  Might as well search for unicorns and leprechauns.

"Might as well search for unicorns and leprechauns."

That's very funny!!  Or I might as well search for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

All kidding aside; please accept my apologies for the following lengthy post.  The primary reason for this is to gain some valuable opinions and advice.  I believe the more complete and detailed the information is, the better/easier it is to make a "well-informed" decision.  The secondary reason is because I needed to really think about my alternatives; and putting them in writing helps me to think more clearly and objectively.

I am considering (7) different options for right now, because I want to get the entire interior back in the car (and hopefully finish everything else) in time for an upcoming Mopar show in early-mid May  http://www.cpwclub.com/springevents/content-2/ .  The decision on which way to go will be collectively based on overall total cost, best overall appearance, and highest percentage of total quality throughout (i.e. fit, manufacturing, and/or "restoration").  I would continue looking for better original rear panels, but I want/need to decide very soon on 1 of the following 7 options.

Please let me know if you think of any other viable options.

Regarding all the options below :
- The excellent condition original kick panels I have will work fine in all options.
- After the decision is made and the work is done, I would sell all/any leftover original panels, and all/any leftover removed Palcos.  I could come out ahead, or at the very least recoup a minimum of 50% of the total cost (except for what was already spent several years ago on the used originals; which I have pretty much written off at this point).

Option #1
- Purchase Metro white door and seat back panels.
- Purchase a new pair of Palco white rear panels.  Although I just took the Palco panels out of the car, I would not necessarily want to reuse the rears because they have damage/modifications/manufacturing defects that can be seen when installed.  I've included some photos of those areas which are located on the leading edge of the panel.  The leading edge is "grafted" onto the main body of the panel; which I'm sure is part of the manufacturing, as there are other segments on the backside that are "grafted" on.  Hopefully, they have improved their manufacturing process since 2003.
- Total cost = ~ $1,300

Option #2
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).  I use the term "restore" loosely.  I know they would just be covered with vinyl by vacuum adhesion.
- Total cost = ~ $1,300

Option #3
- Re-use my Palco rear panels, but make some repairs to the manufacturing flaws, and try and and achieve a better fit through mods/trimming.
- Total cost = ~ $900

Option #4
- "Restore" ALL of my original panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).  ALL panels include: doors, rear quarters, and seat backs.
- Total cost = ~ $1,000 (Until I get an actual quote, I am just speculating on this cost.  Although several years ago, I did bring my originals to Just Dashes for a quote and I vaguely remember something in this "ballpark".

Option #5
- Re-dye/Paint the excellent condition original black door panels to white.
- Purchase Metro white seat back panels.
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).
- Total cost = ~ $600

Option #6
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels and seat back panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).
- Total cost = ~ $600

Option #7
- Purchase Metro white seat back panels.
- Re-use my Palco rear panels, but make some repairs to the manufacturing flaws, and try and and achieve a better fit through mods/trimming.
- Total cost = ~ 400

I know there are some other combinations, but I think I've thought of all the ones that would ensure that I don't have more than (2) noticeably different textures.

And now for the big question - I know there are a lot of factors that come into play, but if you were in a similar situation, would you go with one of the above options and if so, which one?  If not any of the above options, then what?

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013 - 09:31:41 PM by filmsurgeon »

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013 - 07:30:46 PM »

Thanks very much.  I'll contact them tomorrow ask to send pictures.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013 - 07:47:10 PM »
Option 4.

Options 1-3, none will match.

Options 5-8, will look like crap and won't match.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013 - 11:56:41 PM »

Here are pictures I got from Tony's Parts for the "CHALLENGER PR RED CUT FOR SPEAKERS" (listed at the bottom of his E-Body Used parts list).  I asked for more info ('cause all I got were these photos when I inquired about the panels), but am still waiting for a reply.  The panels appear to have once been tan, and painted red a long time.  It's difficult to assess the level of deterioration (if any) under the paint.  Obviously, the red paint could be removed and the panels re-dyed/painted (which is what I would have to do to get them white for my interior).  It's hard to tell with the paint peeling off, but it looks as though they may have been painted red twice.  It's hard to tell if these are any better than the deteriorated white originals I have.  Still looking for "good" condition panels for re-dye/paint.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013 - 12:17:17 AM by filmsurgeon »