Author Topic: 426 - Fuel leaks, carburators and intake...  (Read 960 times)

Offline stsom

426 - Fuel leaks, carburators and intake...
« on: February 23, 2013 - 09:42:52 AM »
The floors are back and rebuild can begin.. After connecting fuel tank and fuel line I tried to fire up the hemi.. And fire might have been the result.. Fuel leaked from under the twin carbs flooded the engine... Carbs is not my speciality, so I wonder if I should get hold of a new intake and use a almost new 750 Speed Demon left over from my Mach1 project, rather than try a carb renovation. What intake do you recommend? Any ideas about the fuel leaks? The car is new to me. It was said that the 426 had only 200 miles since rebuild. Hope that was a rebuild and not a repaint and oil change...  :-\  The guy that helped me get the car had good credentials, but now I'm not so sure....

As presented:

1970 426 Hemi Barracuda FOR SALE $27k

1970 Hemi Cuda

1970 Hemi Barracuda 426 FOR SALE

Minor rust repair was quite an understatement... All floors are now new.....
Anybody in the LA area ( Torrance/ Manhattan Beach ) know this car?
http://www.bilfrik.com For us that never stopped playing with cars

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: 426 - Fuel leaks, carburators and intake...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013 - 10:03:58 AM »
Why would you even consider changing the intake and carbs? If the car hasn't run in a long time, it may
just need some new gaskets. Are you sure the carbs are bolted down tightly? You might have to do some
more investigative work, but I'm sure you don't want to change intake and carbs for no real good reason.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013 - 11:43:14 AM »
AFB's don't have gaskets below the fuel level.  Probably a stuck float.  You could try tapping on the carb above the floats to try to unstick them.

No way I would get rid of the 2 fours...

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline stsom

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013 - 07:45:16 AM »
A bit of tapping and fastening seems to keep it dry.  :bigsmile: It even runs at idle. Increased rpm  makes it backfire thou...  :scared:

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013 - 11:08:58 PM »
Backfiring usually means it's too lean. If the carbs have been dry for a long time, it's possible the leather cups of the accelerator pump have warped or split. Wearing safety glasses and using a good flashlight, look down the primary side of the carb and pull the throttle open. There should be a good solid squirt from the accelerator pump nozzle. If it's spotty or puny, you've likely found your problem and changing the pump rod/cup isn't a big deal. You'll probably need to buy rebuild kits to get the parts, but ask around and perhaps someone has a spare- or two. Good luck

Offline stsom

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013 - 12:18:26 PM »
Thanks! Think you are on to something. The Hemi is from 66. Not sure about the carbs. How to identify to get the correct repair kit? Had trouble finding any numbers....
Found them! Glasses and good light revealed 4130S and 4343S
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013 - 03:49:55 PM by stsom »

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013 - 11:07:30 PM »
Nice to hear that you found the tags, so now, if req'd, you can chase down some kits. At the risk of exposing my geezer badge, my old man (who was the son of a mechanic, who was the son of a mechanic) told me that in the days of yore, you would take that leather accelerator pump rod out and soak it in neats foot oil- I kid you not and that, would re-hydrate the leather and restore the seal so that it squirted properly. It may take a wee bit of looking to find neat's foot oil, but it's probably cheaper than a couple of carb kits and might be worth a try.   :dunno:

Offline stsom

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013 - 01:39:53 PM »
Yearone has already got my order... Along with some other parts needed. It will be a buzzy spring...