Author Topic: Fibreglass panels on a street car, yes or no  (Read 3702 times)

Offline AUSAAR

Fibreglass panels on a street car, yes or no
« on: February 26, 2013 - 08:39:58 AM »
Hi
just wondering what peoples oppinions are on the fit and finish of fibreglass panels, and where is a good place to get them. i need a header panel and front bumper for my 70 cuda project, but am considering guards and bonnet also. id like to run a shaker hood or maybe aar. i have a flat steel hood, am i better off converting it to a shaker hood or buying a fibreglass shaker hood, does anyone know if the AAR fibreglass shaker hoods include the trim ring molded into the bonnet or is that an added cost? will the fibreglass parts look as good as steel when painted up?
appreciate your input.
cheers, Mat  :aussie:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Fibreglass panels on a street car, yes or no
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013 - 12:40:07 PM »
glass will look just as nice when painted,  but will warp over time.  Check out corvettes for example... you can sand them super straight, but 1 or 2 yrs of use will make you want to start all over again.
*** Bart ***

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013 - 07:07:35 AM »
Thanks mate, so would say a glass bumper, or something else that is sort of seperate from the main body be noticeable over time? does anyone make plastic parts like the same sort of stuff as modern car bumpers are made of? or will they also warp over time

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013 - 04:21:48 PM »
i have an aar fiberglass front bumper on my car that is great no warpage at all. the one i run is the rubber bumper copy. i also have an aar hood but its a cheap fiberglass hood but it still hasn't warped although i never bothered to truely paint it. check out travis's car he has the same bumper as me and his hood is fiberglass as well. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28465.300
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline RCCDrew

Fibreglass panels on a street car, yes or no
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013 - 04:49:29 PM »
Where did you get the bumper?

Offline barracuda7199

Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013 - 07:14:00 AM »
what about carbon fibre. does it warp over time?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013 - 09:24:06 AM »
I once thought about a fiberglass front end when you think about the weight savings.  I was toting around a hood for my Challenger and it was pretty heavy.  Add in fenders and bumper and that's a lot of weight.

Stupid me missed out on a deal for a full 1 piece fiberglass clip for $50...  :banghead:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013 - 07:11:45 AM »
How's the fit and finish on the fiberglass front bumper? Does it just bolt on to the standard bumper brackets or does it need a backing plate? I've been wanting to find an elastomeric for mine so I've been holding off buying a new chrome one and if the fiberglass is around I might just go with that. Also, does it have the right lines for the 71 front valance?
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013 - 07:47:20 AM »
Hi
just wondering what peoples oppinions are on the fit and finish of fibreglass panels, and where is a good place to get them. i need a header panel and front bumper for my 70 cuda project, but am considering guards and bonnet also. id like to run a shaker hood or maybe aar. i have a flat steel hood, am i better off converting it to a shaker hood or buying a fibreglass shaker hood, does anyone know if the AAR fibreglass shaker hoods include the trim ring molded into the bonnet or is that an added cost? will the fibreglass parts look as good as steel when painted up?
appreciate your input.
cheers, Mat  :aussie:
I have glass front fenders on my car and am pretty happy with them. BUT, I put them on in the early eighties when steel replacements were not around. If I was doing it now, I would buy steel. I put a lot of hours into block sanding, clamping, reinforcing, etc to get them to look decent.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013 - 12:03:59 PM »
Modern plastic bumpers and panels have  A LOT of reinforcement behind them to help them maintain their shape.

I never thought about the corvette reference, but that is a good point. Personally, I've never seen a vette that was so distorted that it was obviously noticeable to me, but I tend to be a lot less picky then a bunch of people I know. Darker colors would obviously highlight this fact over lighter colors.

So, I'd say it is  kind of a personal preference of how much potential variation you may want to deal with. Some companys do make street weight and race weight parts, obviously with more or less fibre reinforcement to avoid the distortion situation. Myself, I'd probably go for it. My brother, who nit picks body lines and panel alignments and such, probably would not be happy with something like that.

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013 - 06:45:38 PM »
looks like i might just go with the glass front elastometric bumper in glass and keep the rest steel. i realy dont want to have to do it twice. ill probably be 50 by the time i get it done once so i dont intend on doing it twice

Offline barracuda7199

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013 - 08:51:55 PM »
Checkout the other thread I posted a link to, Travis did a fantastic job mounting his bumper without any exposed bolt heads.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013 - 02:09:44 AM »
Checkout the other thread I posted a link to, Travis did a fantastic job mounting his bumper without any exposed bolt heads.
i had a read through that thread, awesome car. hopefully he gets some driving done so we can see if his mounts are going to hold up. they look so much better without the exposed bolts. i wonder if aar can do some mounts for additional cost. might get a better bond if they were done at the same time as the bumper was moulded

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013 - 09:33:53 AM »
how much lighter are street weight panels over steel? and who makes good doors and guards in glass
cheers, Mat