Author Topic: Trying to find my Dad's 1970 Bronco U15GLH78922 (photos) UPDATE  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Trying to find my Dad's 1970 Bronco U15GLH78922 (photos) UPDATE
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013 - 03:15:13 PM »
Driving the Bronco I bought for my dad has made me want one for myself.  There's something cool about driving these Broncos that is hard to describe to someone who hasn't driven one.  So I started looking for a clean original uncut Bronco for myself.  My cousin, who also likes Bronco's, texted me a craigslist ad for a 71 Uncut rust free bronco in Idaho. I called the guy selling it and I felt this was the truck for me so I told him I would buy for what he was asking for it.  Grabbed some cash, hooked up the trailer and got on the road just hours after talking to him.  It was 10 hours each way and so worth it!

The story gets better.  This Bronco was being sold by two guys that we're "helping" or you might even say flipping it.  The owner is 89 years old and has Parkinson.  They are making a couple grand on the deal, but don't know anything about the truck or Broncos.  I was told it was rust free on the phone, but I had no idea Broncos could even be this RUST FREE unless brand new.  I loaded it up on the trailer and headed home with a completely original uncut rust free bronco.  I was so happy!

Upon getting home I start going through the bronco and noticed in the glove box a little card with a metal plate.  It says Ownercard and had the original owners info and date it was put it service.  I doubled checked the name with the name on the title and it matched!  My thoughts were this could even be a 1 owner truck!  A quick google search gave me a phone number and with a few minutes I was on the phone with the original owners wife.  She was super nice and explained to me that her husband will have some issues with staying on track with his thoughts (because of the Parkinson), but I was welcome to talk to him.  He gets on the phone and we talk to about 20 minutes.  He tells me the exact salesman name he bought it from and the dealer, all the little things he's done with it over the years and that it has always (100% of the time) been stored inside a dry garage.  He had lots of stories and answered ever question I had.  I will stay in touch with him.

So here's a few photos of my new Bronco. 

One quick question.  I'm not planning on driving this anytime soon.  I'm going to take the motor out and restore it to factory new along with all the engine bay.  Should I leave the title in the original owners name and keep it (at least on paper) a one owner?  More than likely I will only drive it a couple times a year and I can get temp plates for that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 - 03:16:52 PM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline acudadude

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013 - 03:22:52 PM »
Very Nice, Cool Truck ! Great find!  :wow:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013 - 04:11:50 PM »
Awesome find !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013 - 07:34:45 PM »
That Bronco looks like a Tonka truck behind that blue truck!  :faint:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Gumby

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013 - 09:21:00 PM »
Cody, you are 100 Percent Absolutely Correct when you say that driving one of these can't be described to anyone that hasn't ever driven one before. I drove my '73 for a couple of years with no top and no doors in all kinds of crazy weather, and people thought that I was insane. There is just no way to describe it. One thing I learned early, lol, was it scary on the Interstate when big semi's went by. I won't do that again! But for about 2 or 3 years I drove mine on the highway to and from work. 40-45 miles each way, day and night. No top and no doors. It was just unbelievable! Summertime when it was totally black out with all the stars above. All alone on the highway. ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME! No radio. No heater, no a/c. Just you and nature. Summer at noon with the sun shining bright. Spring when it was raining. Fall, when all the outside vegetation was changing. It was exhilerating and amazing everytime I fired her up. It was SO much cooler than driving a yuppie mobile. SO fantastically COOL! Thumbs up from everyone. Cooler than a Jeep. The freedom. Just get in and go. The best time I have ever, EVER spent behind a wheel. You can't explain it to anyone that hasn't been there. I hope that you enjoy it. Your dad sure looks like he likes his! lol. And I bet you will love yours. If you don't want to mess up your pristine version, get a beater and yank the doors and the top and see what you have been missing. You will not regret a single minute ever of driving it. Ever. You will relish every moment you are behind the wheel. I promise you!  :bananasmi  :2thumbs:
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013 - 11:58:51 PM »
Man, what a vivd description, Gumby!  Make me want to get one!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013 - 02:18:31 AM »
I'm ready to try it!  Love it!!!!!!  :clapping:

Cody, you are 100 Percent Absolutely Correct when you say that driving one of these can't be described to anyone that hasn't ever driven one before. I drove my '73 for a couple of years with no top and no doors in all kinds of crazy weather, and people thought that I was insane. There is just no way to describe it. One thing I learned early, lol, was it scary on the Interstate when big semi's went by. I won't do that again! But for about 2 or 3 years I drove mine on the highway to and from work. 40-45 miles each way, day and night. No top and no doors. It was just unbelievable! Summertime when it was totally black out with all the stars above. All alone on the highway. ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME! No radio. No heater, no a/c. Just you and nature. Summer at noon with the sun shining bright. Spring when it was raining. Fall, when all the outside vegetation was changing. It was exhilerating and amazing everytime I fired her up. It was SO much cooler than driving a yuppie mobile. SO fantastically COOL! Thumbs up from everyone. Cooler than a Jeep. The freedom. Just get in and go. The best time I have ever, EVER spent behind a wheel. You can't explain it to anyone that hasn't been there. I hope that you enjoy it. Your dad sure looks like he likes his! lol. And I bet you will love yours. If you don't want to mess up your pristine version, get a beater and yank the doors and the top and see what you have been missing. You will not regret a single minute ever of driving it. Ever. You will relish every moment you are behind the wheel. I promise you!  :bananasmi  :2thumbs:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline bigblock4speedman

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013 - 04:15:22 AM »
Cody I have said it many years ago and I'll say it again, you are very blessed brother!  I've seen a lot of cool things you have done and gotten through the years, that's awesome what you did for your dad.  I need to finish restoration on my dad's 67 Mustang myself.  Now back to Broncos, I LOVE EM!!!  I have a 78 full size Bronco with 351 Cleveland 4 barrel 4 speed of course, would like to find a 5 speed for it.   The engine needs rebuilt but I drove it many years and loved it!  Oh, and it will pull a house off it's slab, I'll be happy when I can get around to restoring it.  I would really love to get a 66-76 bronco to drive, I love them too, Not long ago a man had 5 of em in various conditions but I didn't have the cash, story of my life it seems haha.  But money isn't everything, I am rich in other ways and thankful for what I have and what I'm able to do.  You're gonna love that Bronco man, they are highly addictive and fun so you and your dad enjoy and be thankful, God Bless Yall.   :2thumbs:

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013 - 09:38:36 AM »
Cool grab CODY, my dad is mid resto on a 71, they sure are cool rides, ur tow rig is pretty cool too! Lol. Looking forward to seeing how the bronco comes along, enjoy it, maybe take it for little trip down to the recreational dunes in Oregon, you will have a blast with it, I grew up in pismo beach where driving ur truck on the beach and in the dunes is an every weekend activity!  Used to take the top and all the doors off my rubicon and get out there any day it wasn't raining lol. Enjoy man.
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present