Fender Tag Question?

Author Topic: Fender Tag Question?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Cranker

Fender Tag Question?
« on: March 13, 2005 - 03:50:23 PM »
Ok i just got my cars home so forgive me if i ramble or make no sense, i am very excited. I have a quick question regarding the fender tag. Yhe tags laste series of numbers in the lower right of the tag is as follows   J23H2B380986 the question i have is shouldn't this match the vin number  JS23H2B180947.

aLSO CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LINK OR TELL ME WHERE TO LOOK TO BREAK THE CODE DOWN IF IT IS THE CORECT ONE. sorry about the caps....
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Re: Fender Tag Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 - 04:09:06 PM »
Yes, the numbers on the lower right side of the fender tag should match the VIN...so what you have is a fender tag from another car...or...check the numbers stamped on the radiator support (either on the face of the support by the drivers side of the radiator or on the top of the support in this same area) and the number stamped on the cowl (by the drivers side windshield wiper access screen)  The last 6 digits stamped here should match the last 6 digis of the VIN. If these match the fender tag and not the VIN, your car has had a VIN plate switch.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005 - 04:13:04 PM by hemi71 »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005 - 04:17:58 PM »
here is a site to decode the tag:

http://www.mymopar.com/6971opcodes.htm

Offline Cranker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005 - 04:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the help. i was affraid of that. I am out to check for the othersss...

Offline Cranker

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005 - 04:44:40 PM »
Good news bad news.  I found the othe numbers on the radiator support and the match the vin so that is good. The person i bought it from said it was in a accident and the left fender was replaced so that may explain the change of tags. So i have the wrong tag (bad). But the best news i have to date is look what i found. It maatches the vin.. :beer:  Now can some one tell me how to read it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005 - 06:34:44 PM »
Hey Cranker,
The photo is not coming up for me and I do not have a 1974 sheet here to use as a referance but I will take a shot at a reading lesson for you.

Several of the boxes contain the last two or three digits of the actual part number.You would need a 1974 Dealer's parts manual do decifer those, or Galen's white books possibly.

Other parts of the sheet have bars across the top with letters like A, B, C and so on. Below these bars are small boxes with a breif descripton and part of a number (sometimes). Below those is a row where a one or two digit number could be typed.

So, to determine the actuall codes that you car came with, look in the boxes where the numbers are typed in.  "A" from the top bar with "01" typed in would equal  A01 - light package as an example.

Kapiche?

The good news is that with the broadcast sheet you have ALL the information that would have been on your original tag, so you can have a 100% accurate one made.  :beer:

T/Ake care,
Barry

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005 - 06:45:12 PM »
Cranker, i saved the pic of your broadcast sheet and tried to rotate it and then blow it up to read it, but when i did I lost too much resolution to read it. If you carefully remove it, then scan it into your computer, you can e-mail me a file of it and i can decode it for you.

As far as a replacement fender tag, i recommend "A.G. Backeast" for a replacement, very high quality and fair pricing.