Author Topic: Air Compressor Question...  (Read 835 times)

Offline Cuda416

Air Compressor Question...
« on: March 17, 2013 - 02:17:39 PM »
Hopefully, "The Rest of Tech" is appropriate for this...

I don't own a truck so I have no way to transport an upright 60-80 gallon air compressor with it standing upright. Only thing I have that will hold such a unit is the wifes grand caravan. Is there a danger of damaging one of these things by laying it on it's side assuming I drain the oil? (The compressor, not the caravan :) )
70' Barracuda conv. (project)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
Re: Air Compressor Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013 - 02:35:04 PM »

Assuming you have an oiled compressor, most nowadays are oil-less. Your answer would be yes drain the oil, put her on her side and move away.

Depending on how often you use it, this would be a great time to change the oil.

B
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013 - 09:41:52 AM »
if you want decent lifespan out of a compressor I would not buy an oiless one

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cuda416

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013 - 10:06:10 AM »
I am definitely going for an "oiled" unit. I agree, the oiless ones aren't (based on my research) going to hold up as long and tend to be noisy. The small 10 gallon one I have is sounds like it want's to take off, always has.

I was more worried about causing any problems by tipping one over on it's side for transport. I remember from working with the A/C guys in the Marines (I was an electrician [MOS:1142] back then) that if you tipped those A/C compressors on the side, you had to wait for some period of time (24 hours?) before you could power it up etc.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback
70' Barracuda conv. (project)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013 - 10:19:20 AM »
I am definitely going for an "oiled" unit. I agree, the oiless ones aren't (based on my research) going to hold up as long and tend to be noisy. The small 10 gallon one I have is sounds like it want's to take off, always has.

I was more worried about causing any problems by tipping one over on it's side for transport. I remember from working with the A/C guys in the Marines (I was an electrician [MOS:1142] back then) that if you tipped those A/C compressors on the side, you had to wait for some period of time (24 hours?) before you could power it up etc.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

The wait period is to give time for the liquid to drain from the compressor head. If you drain the oil, you should be okay. Just make sure you transport it
with something under the tank so as not to let the compressor motor take the weight of the unit. Bad things happen that way.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013 - 11:26:49 AM »

Funny, one of my oldest ones is oil-less and still going strong! 10 years later

if you want decent lifespan out of a compressor I would not buy an oiless one
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD