Author Topic: Modern interior mods?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline glovemeister

Modern interior mods?
« on: March 20, 2013 - 05:20:37 AM »
Just curious as to if anyone has used anything from a modern mopar, interior wise? I heard the April 2013 issue of Mopar Muscle had a Hemi Cuda with an interior from a newer Mopar in it. Anyone happen to catch that article?
1971 Challenger RT

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
Re: Modern interior mods?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013 - 09:52:52 AM »
I saw that article too, i think if im not mistaken, he lowered the floor of the car to make the newer front seats fit without sitting too high, also had the rear seat cut down by a custom interior shop.
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013 - 11:09:18 AM »
I think I caught a glimpse of that article.  I think that's cool but I could imagine the amount of work to make the gauges work and such.  Would be cool to see some pics...
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013 - 04:32:04 AM »
I think I caught a glimpse of that article.  I think that's cool but I could imagine the amount of work to make the gauges work and such.  Would be cool to see some pics...

Yeah I honestly think it would be better to go ahead and use something like Autometers. In terms of the seats, I'm curious as to if they have to be cut, or if custom bases can be used and not lower the floor. I think lowering the floor would be a substantial job and not something that I would be competent enough to do. I guess one can always learn.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013 - 08:59:34 AM »
Unless you really like the interior of the new Challenger, it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.  I think the interior looks ok, not really spectacular.

I saw an early 70's firebird with a 90s Trans Am interior put in it and that looked really nice.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:02:54 AM »

I would love to have a pair or '12 RT LEATHER BUCKETS into car, they have that old school style still an roll pattern, love it
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013 - 05:24:48 PM »
Unless you really like the interior of the new Challenger, it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.  I think the interior looks ok, not really spectacular.

I saw an early 70's firebird with a 90s Trans Am interior put in it and that looked really nice.

Yeah I do. I did run into an issue though from researching last night. Apparently the chargers and challengers both, have pillar mounted 3 point seat belts. I can't think of how to use them in my year of challenger. Any ideas there?

So presently my idea is to try and find seats with an integrated seatbelt such as a bmw, or utilize racing harnesses on the challenger seats.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline mildphil

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013 - 06:08:15 PM »
Yeah I do. I did run into an issue though from researching last night. Apparently the chargers and challengers both, have pillar mounted 3 point seat belts. I can't think of how to use them in my year of challenger. Any ideas there?

So presently my idea is to try and find seats with an integrated seatbelt such as a bmw, or utilize racing harnesses on the challenger seats.
You could always buy some Chrysler sebring seats, im sure those would work.
Nothing last forever, so be thankful for what you have while you still have it. :)

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013 - 08:29:18 PM »
You could always buy some Chrysler sebring seats, im sure those would work.

Good to know. I appreciate the suggestions here. Any ideas how one could mount a standard pillar belt in these cars? I am thinking something similar to the camaro style, with the retract mechanism on the side of the seat,rocker panel area.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:05:55 PM »
the article said he used the interior from a 2006 Charger R/T.  He cut the dash to get it to fit and lowered the new floor pans 4" to get the seats in.  Said his wife cut down the rear seats to fit.

I put the fronts out of a 2009 Challenger R/T into my car.  I cut the humps out of the floor pan to get them to set flat on the pan.  I am six ft and they fit okay but the small steering wheel that was in the car blocks the dash that I installed autometers in and I think that a tilt column would fix the visibility problem by allowing me to use a larger steering wheel.

I have the rear seats out of the 2009 and it appears it would not be too hard to build a frame for the lower, but the seat backs with the head rests stick about half way up the rear glass and I did not like that.  I am sure a good shop could cut them down by essentially removing the head rest portion but that is not on my agenda at the moment.

There should be some pics of the fronts in this forum.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013 - 09:00:09 AM »
Good to know. I appreciate the suggestions here. Any ideas how one could mount a standard pillar belt in these cars? I am thinking something similar to the camaro style, with the retract mechanism on the side of the seat,rocker panel area.

No idea how to do it safely.  In an actual accident there's a lot of force put on those shoulder belts. 

Last thing you want is for the bolt to rip out of the B-pillar in an accident.  :2cents:

Offline publicbottle

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013 - 02:51:20 AM »
I bought a set of Audi TT seats, after a member on moparts recommended them. However, they were installed in his Duster or Demon, and are too tall in stock form to work in an ebody. I have since removed the factory sliders and up/down strut assy. That brings the whole seat down about 3inches. I have some sparco low profile seat sliders on order and hope to mount them to the seat, by my measurements I should be able to get these things to fit.  Issues i was having was hitting my head on the a-pillar getting into the car, and the factory steering wheel to "toight" to the seat bottom, also head was a bit close to the headliner. (i'm only 5"11). So Im still working on this project, hope to have them mounted within a month or two.
Seats are fully manually adjustable and are pretty comfy. I like the looks of them and plan to recover the backseat to match if these work out. The flip forward too for easy backseat access which was important to me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013 - 12:42:06 PM by publicbottle »

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
Modern interior mods?
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013 - 07:27:46 AM »
I have Nissan 350Z seats for my car. I test fit them a while back and everything seemed to fit well.

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)