Author Topic: Newbie heading to Carlisle  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Koby

Newbie heading to Carlisle
« on: March 21, 2013 - 10:50:33 AM »
Hey guys,

After some deliberation, I think I'm going to make the trek to Carlisle.  As I have never been before, please help me.  What do I need to know?  Where would be some places to think about staying?  What should I expect at the meet and what are necessities to bring (besides myself and the T/A)? 

Thanks,
Koby
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A Plum Crazy, Auto, imported from Japan

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Newbie heading to Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:14:35 AM »
Koby,

You are more than welcome to join our motley crew.   :wave:

Where are you coming in from?

You definitely need comfortable walking shoes if you plan on going thru the swap meet area thoroughly. Bring yourself some bottles of your favorite beverage and save yourself from paying $3 a bottle for water at the fairgrounds. We have a club tent in the showfield. It's always somewhere among the E-Bodies. It's a good place to get out of the sun. Just look for the club banner on the tent. As for where to stay, some of us are staying at the Ramada Limited in Mechanicsburg. There is another thread about this, but I believe all the rooms are taken. You can look at the Carlisle website for other suggestions on where to stay.

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/chrysler-nationals/ 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Online 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:16:55 AM »
Hi Koby!   Your profile does say where you are located and there are members traveling to Carlisle from all over so maybe you can hook up with someone and caravan out to the show!  A lot of the hotels have already booked up and I know where a lot of us are staying is full now so not much help there . . . . We travel to the show early morning and the club has a tent on the show field within the ebodies.  We will have a banner setup so you can find us easily!  The show is great and all the cars are grouped together by make.  Thursday a lot of us will have dinner somewhere . . . Friday is usually pizza dinner in a parking lot somewhere and then Saturday we all get together and have a sit down dinner.  This year we are meeting at a place called Dodge diner.  Appears we will fit right in! 

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:18:42 AM »
As far as rooms go .... where the rest of the gang is staying is sold out. I'm staying here, it's close to the club motel?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=90827.msg899563#new
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:21:28 AM »
Sunblock, you can bring your own food and drinks in. It will save you some money. Bring fold up chairs. You will need to sit down after all the walking.  There are usually over 2200 cars in the fun field. Plus vendors, car for sale, and the cars on display in the buildings. Just have fun, it is a great show.   :2thumbs: 

Offline Koby

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013 - 10:14:54 PM »
Found a hotel close to the grounds, a new one actually.  http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/carlisle/harex/hoteldetail Guess it opens May 30.

A few questions:

1. How does the show work?  Do you load and unload the car everyday or leave it there?  (sorry, never been to thing like this before)

2. Is coming in Thursday night acceptable?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013 - 10:36:47 PM by Koby(formerly RxApple) »
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A Plum Crazy, Auto, imported from Japan

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013 - 11:44:01 PM »
Koby, yes, you can come Thursday. There is also a kick off party on thursday at a dealership it starts around 4 pm. There should be details on Carlisle's website. I am on my iPad and do not know how to post a link yet. LOL. Most people drive back and forth each day , unless their car is in a special display . Then you have to leave it there. My challenger will be in Y building from Thursday til Sunday. So , my daughter and I will be driving the Daytona Turbo Z back and forth. I hope that helps.  :2thumbs:  h
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013 - 11:46:03 PM by DoNotChallengeHer »

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013 - 09:07:05 AM »
Welcome, Koby!

Carlisle is always a lot of fun and not even because of the cars!  My wife and I have been going for several years now because of the awesome people here at CC.C that we just can't see enough!

Some people trailer their cars to and from every day.  (I never understood it much myself - they're CARS!) but certainly it's an option.  We usually get there before 8am to wipe our cars down and get something to eat (there's a little outdoor cafe at the north end of the fairgrounds that makes a BIG breakfast for around $6 or so.)

On Saturday we'll be providing lunch as we have for several years now.  I think we're doing italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions again.  Also there will be the third-annual unveiling of the unnoficial "Cuda-Challenger.com Beer" - brewed by yours truly!  Saturday night we have reservations for the club at Dodge City Restaurant in Harrisburg.  My wife and I "sampled" the place a month-or-so again and the food was spectacular.  On top of that, "Big Doug" - the owner - is a Mopar-owner himself!

As far as what to bring, we wouldn't survive without our cooler (some hotels will even fill it with ice for you in the mornings) and folding chairs!  Also, LOTS of sunscreen (it was 114 degrees on Saturday last year!)

The tent is the greatest place to hang out, cool down, and chat with other CC.C members.  We always have a great time, I usually get called lots of silly names by 4Cruizn, and, well, we wouldn't miss it for the world.  :)
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013 - 04:56:17 PM »
Found a hotel close to the grounds, a new one actually.  http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/carlisle/harex/hoteldetail Guess it opens May 30.

A few questions:

1. How does the show work?  Do you load and unload the car everyday or leave it there?  (sorry, never been to thing like this before)

2. Is coming in Thursday night acceptable?

Koby when we bring our T/A we just leave it in the trailer on the grounds. They have security so I just drop the trailer in the trailer parking lot and take the car out in the morning and put it back in  ater the day is over. We have never had any problems. This year we are just bringing the PT but we plan on being there on wensday. Pretty much all week is for setup. I've left my trailer on the grounds as earlly as Tuesday. If you are using an open trailer I'd personaly be nervous  leaving it there. With our enclosed I just lock it up and leave it there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013 - 05:00:13 PM by Rare_T_A »
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!