Author Topic: Legendary dash cap.. Not as easy as it looks?  (Read 10028 times)

Offline drewcrane

Re: Legendary dash cap.. Not as easy as it looks?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013 - 02:25:33 PM »
Would these pads work better if you take the dash out of the car and strip the old vinyl and foam off? Then the pad would
sit at the correct height.

I just got done doing one of these on our Cuda project , I have had one on my challenger for 15 years and it passes the eye test ,I have pleny of trophies on that car .

It MUST be removed from the car and yes there is some trimming to do and you will need at least 10 clamps ,but for the most part it is very easy it just takes time here are some pics
 first is before

second  one is a trial fit

third  trimming

fourth glued and clamped

fifth fit in the car

all this being said they are NOT concourse quality but for me they are more than suitable for the street ,and mine was only $89.00 compared to a new one what are they up to now? $1200.00 after shipping ,and every thing is said and dont you still have to pull your old pad anyway so for me great product
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013 - 02:35:24 PM by drewcrane »

Offline 440CudaDriver

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013 - 05:33:16 AM »
That looks decent and easy with the dash out.
Id love to see it done without removing the dash though
1973 Challenger 340 Vanishing Point white
2014 Challenger RT Plus Orange

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013 - 08:24:23 AM »
That looks decent and easy with the dash out.
Id love to see it done without removing the dash though

that would be a mess, you would have to wedge 2x4s all the way to the back seat, the edges would not line up, so yes cap removal is a must :popcorn:

Offline tony 73

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013 - 09:06:55 PM »
I agree with Drewcane.  I used a cap and turned out great. Should be some photos in my resto thread( pg 5 73 challenger Calif to nz). Pad has to come out, trim cap, apply silicon adhesive, then clamp. I also used old bicycle tubes to tie cap down.
 I have had great comments on how it looks, most people will never spot the difference.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013 - 09:12:03 PM by tony 73 »

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013 - 09:26:52 PM »
I dunno///I used a cap and i ddint pull the dash and I think it turned out fine, for what it is.

Does it fit perfect and look like a stock dash? No.

Because it is not.

I didnt glue down the whole thing like they suggest, just some edges here and there and used some screws on the sides, and of course the speaker grille.

Fits OK.  Looks OK.

Obviously not a purist type thing.

But way cheaper, faster and easier than a full dash if your intent is to DRIVE the car as soon as you can like mine was.

I told myself I would do a full dash when I could, and still probably will eventually.....but like I said, looks fine for now....

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013 - 06:19:40 AM »
I used a dash cap on my challenger.
It's not perfect but it's not far from it.
You've gotta look real hard to find where it's not perfect.
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013 - 07:04:23 AM »
I did a cap and I think had good results..........of course the windshield was out at the time.........Got mine from Year One for about $100.   Glued in a few spots........still good in the car.   Link....plus I may post some more pics tonight.   

http://www.papadaveonline.com/imagegalleries/48/index.html
Dave or David

Offline 383 six pack

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013 - 07:45:14 PM »
I did a cap and I think had good results..........of course the windshield was out at the time.........Got mine from Year One for about $100.   Glued in a few spots........still good in the car.   Link....plus I may post some more pics tonight.   

http://www.papadaveonline.com/imagegalleries/48/index.html
    looks good  :2thumbs:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013 - 08:40:29 PM »
During the resto.........and now......
Dave or David

Offline usraptr

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013 - 09:31:17 PM »
Very nice!  Huge improvement!
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014 - 01:54:53 AM »
does anyone have a picture of the passenger side? you have conveniently left off the script area  :roflsmiley: I was planning on getting a new dash with taxes, but think Im going to go with new heads instead. I do need something whether it is a cap or a carpet cover. I see that legendary has a burnt orange one for like 150 so I think that is the route that I am going to go... :feedback:

Offline Fern

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014 - 10:05:24 AM »
does anyone have a picture of the passenger side? you have conveniently left off the script area  :roflsmiley: I was planning on getting a new dash with taxes, but think Im going to go with new heads instead. I do need something whether it is a cap or a carpet cover. I see that legendary has a burnt orange one for like 150 so I think that is the route that I am going to go... :feedback:

I believe most caps dont have any script. You have to buy the script seperately and glue it on. Year one has them.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014 - 10:33:28 AM »
Looks dam good to me , it came out better than mine :2thumbs:

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014 - 09:17:29 PM »
I have my factory script, I'm just curious if it has the spot for the script instead of the plate

Offline dpcd67

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014 - 01:13:55 PM »
I got a cap for my 73 Cuda as I could not buy a new dash and a new 5 speed at the same time. Mine does have the indent for the "barracuda" plate on the pass side. I trimmed off all the old dead foam and vinyl that was curled up and made what was left level. I took some expandable foam (which was probably not necessary) and sprayed some in the vacant spots and glued in the pad like the instructions said. I did trial fit first, and you have to cut out the VIN slot. Unless you look hard, that is the only place that is noticeable that it is not real. Of course, it is not like a new dash, but didn't cost a grand either.
1963 Dodge M37 (3)
1967 Dodge WM300 (2)
1971 Plymouth Duster
Bought new in '71; I wanted the Challenger but they were $2850; too much $ so I got the 318, 3 speed on the floor, Twister Duster for $2100.
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
I ain't done yet.