Author Topic: Gas Tank Kit  (Read 571 times)

Offline packnsix

Gas Tank Kit
« on: March 27, 2013 - 01:52:58 PM »
Whose gas tank kit should I purchase for a 70 Challenger? I have heard the one from Dixie Restorations includes the original manufacture sending unit and is the preferred kit. What do you all recommend?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Gas Tank Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013 - 02:28:36 PM »
I don't know who's is "best" but do some research and see which 70 tank you need/want . Did you car come with C/A emissions ?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013 - 02:34:37 PM »
I got my tank from RockAuto.  It was the least expensive I found and it arrived in two days.  Make sure you get a Spectra tank.  Thats the good one.  I had a new sending unit sitting around that I'd purchased from Year One many years ago.  After taking apart my original one, I think I could have gotten it working again.

Offline packnsix

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013 - 03:27:35 PM »
I don't know who's is "best" but do some research and see which 70 tank you need/want . Did you car come with C/A emissions ?

It is not an emissions car so I believe I need the non-ECS tank. I was doing some research on the sending unit and Dixie's name kept popping up as the only source for a sending unit from the OE manufacturer from when these cars were new. Can anyone verify that info?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013 - 07:22:40 AM »
It is not an emissions car so I believe I need the non-ECS tank. I was doing some research on the sending unit and Dixie's name kept popping up as the only source for a sending unit from the OE manufacturer from when these cars were new. Can anyone verify that info?

IDK? Sorry :sadwavey:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013 - 09:36:32 AM »
I got my tank from RockAuto.  It was the least expensive I found and it arrived in two days.  Make sure you get a Spectra tank.  Thats the good one.  I had a new sending unit sitting around that I'd purchased from Year One many years ago.  After taking apart my original one, I think I could have gotten it working again.

:iagree:

If you can save your original sending unit I would do it! Mine wasnt working at all I cleaned it up did the ground wire trick and it works great now!

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013 - 09:56:35 AM »

:iagree:  Rockauto for the tank and sending unit.  Do a google search for Rockauto discounts.  There is usually a discount code posted on the web somewhere.

Make sure you hang on to your locking ring for your sending unit.  I think that the reproduction ones are made from a thinner material.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013 - 06:21:23 PM by TinCuda »
(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013 - 02:11:40 PM »
Make sure you hand on to your locking ring for your sending unit.  I think that the reproduction ones are made from a thinner material.

:iagree:

Yes re-use the original lock ring the one with the Spectra tank is noticibly thinner and fuel can leak from the sending unit!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013 - 02:21:09 PM »
I used the supplied lock ring and don't have issues.  I still have the original if a problem pops up.  If you are sending your fasteners out to be zinc plated, throw the original lock ring in with them.  No point in putting a crusty lock ring on a new tank.