Author Topic: Front dash 4X10 speaker to replace OEM speaker needed...  (Read 12976 times)

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
Re: Front dash 4X10 speaker to replace OEM speaker needed...
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013 - 02:16:19 AM »
What radio are you using?
From what I was informed, the OEM radio for 70-71' were 8 ohms.

I am using an original radio that uses 8-10 ohm speakers.  The Retro USA speaker is a 4 ohm two channel speaker.  It can be wired in series to create a single channel 8 ohms speaker, but the speaker it's self costs twice as much as a single channel 8 ohm speaker.  If you want to use an original 8-10 ohm radio and still use both channels of the speaker, you will need to add resisters.  In my application,  the Retro USA speaker may have been the better way to go.  It may be what I end up with when it is all said and done.  If I had gone with the Retro USA speaker in the first place, I could easily upgrade to the modern repop 4 ohm radio without having to buy speakers also.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 - 02:18:39 AM by TinCuda »
(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014 - 10:50:35 AM »
Where can I find the 4X10 dash speaker that incompasses two small speakers ? I had a customer supply one once and I don't know where he got it. :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014 - 10:59:12 AM »
You are looking for a dual cone or dual voice cone speaker.  You should be able to find multiple sellers on eBay/Amazon/etc now that you know the magic words to search for.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014 - 11:55:56 AM »
It's a little late for the OP but I used Jackson Speaker Service.  It was $100 to have the two original speakers re-coned.(single front...single rear)

This is what I did for the Dart...There is a guy that sells the brackets...you just have to supply the speakers you want to use.  He is on FABO, Moparts and I think here too.  The entire setup was about $50.  I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about Allan?

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014 - 12:03:27 PM »
Looks like a pretty uncomplicateed DIY project

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014 - 12:07:45 PM »
It is.  The bracket was $26 shipped.  I couldn't track down some aluminum and build it for less then that.  I bought the speakers online for $20.  I bought some nylon spacers at the hardware store to space the speaker down 1/4".(so the center speaker didn't stick up higher then the bracket)  The spacers cost me $2.  I put some 3/8 weatherstripping around the speaker to cut down on rattles.(I already had the weatherstripping from a home project.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014 - 12:11:15 PM by burdar »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014 - 12:29:26 PM »
Yep...It looked very similar to that, just dropped right in place in an E Body dash.

I just heard from the owner of the car I'm currently working on and he tells me he might have a stereo shop handle a hidden sound system...Wants me to fill the dash with a stock AM and not worry about any speakers....Okay with me :woohoo:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com