Author Topic: Clay Bars  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Clay Bars
« on: March 29, 2013 - 03:58:24 PM »
Any of you ever taken the time to apply a clay bar to your cars paint? I finally did it over the wnter. I have been meaning to do it for a good long while, I just never could quite get around to it. I am here to tell you this, that stuff flat out works. It is sort of a pain to do the entire car, but it was worth it. After I completely went over the car with the clay bar, I followed that up with a nice coat of yellow carnauba wax. I am not sure I have ever felt a paint job that slick. The clay bar removed impurities from the surface of the paint. If you have ever wanted to do it, don't hesitate. It's worth every minute you spend doing it...... :2thumbs:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 69ChargerRT

• Administrator
  • Resident
  • Its the car, right? Chicks love the car. - Batman
    • Daisy - My 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Clay Bars
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013 - 04:00:50 PM »
yeah i agree.  clay bars are awesome.  paint comes out silky smooth after a good session

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013 - 04:06:19 PM »
definitely agree.
recommended to get impurities that normal washing doesnt remove.
And its not that difficult. Its easier than waxing IMO. Takes less time.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013 - 04:10:20 PM »
definitely agree.
recommended to get impurities that normal washing doesnt remove.
And its not that difficult. Its easier than waxing IMO. Takes less time.

It is easier than waxing. It's just a lot messier with all the water that runs all over everything.   :grinyes:
Cleaning up the drippy mess adds time/labor to the job....    :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013 - 04:13:05 PM »
Ken, can you stop by and clay NIKKI for me?  :bigsmile:  Cause I've been meaning too for a good long while myself.   :grinyes:     :smilielol:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013 - 04:32:39 PM »
Ken, can you stop by and clay NIKKI for me?  :bigsmile:  Cause I've been meaning too for a good long while myself.   :grinyes:     :smilielol:

Good try Chris.... :grinyes:  I'll be heading your way with my play-doh.....     :bigsmile: :drunk:
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013 - 05:30:37 PM »
They work well, but just do one panel at a time. If it dries out, you get to do it again. Oh joy!    :pullinghair:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013 - 06:08:01 PM »
First time I did it was with a buddy of mine who worked in a detail shop years before and I had never heard of it.  First he grabbed a Cigarette cellophane and told me to put 2 fingers in it and move it over the paint.  The cellophane amplified the feeling of the paint and let me tell you  . . . it didn't feel clean.  After . . . WOW!  It was smooth as silk!  That was enough to impress me.  I have plans to do both cars this spring . . . well if spring ever arrives here in Michigan.  Not bad today but last year at this time, I was wearing shorts! 

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013 - 07:56:16 PM »
Can you say "elbow grease:faint: It does do a great job, takes a lot of effort, but gives great results!!  :clapping:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline slsc98

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013 - 10:34:11 PM »
I am here to tell you this, that stuff flat out works. . . . It's worth every minute you spend doing it...... :2thumbs:

Yar, I just wish I knew where I could buy just the cla bars themselves, rather than having to buy a small bar in a "kit" that includes detailing liquid I may or may not even need!

Anyone know of a source -- for just top-quality clay bars??

Offline spamtank

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013 - 10:44:31 PM »
Yar, I just wish I knew where I could buy just the cla bars themselves, rather than having to buy a small bar in a "kit" that includes detailing liquid I may or may not even need!

Anyone know of a source -- for just top-quality clay bars??

I'm pretty sure I was able to buy just the bars at Pepboys.  Next time I'm there, I'll double check.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013 - 11:30:05 PM »
I buy most of my car care products at griots
They sell 3 different types of clay.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013 - 12:48:51 AM »
I don't have a nice big shop to work in.  I painted some parts on the other side of the garage but overspray got all over the car.  The paint felt like sand paper.  I'd never used clay before but it was a very short learning process.  A little quick detailer for the liquid and a couple hours with the clay and the car was done.  I accually enjoyed doing it.  Much more fun then waxing. 

Offline elmoska

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013 - 08:12:36 AM »
i have already used a clay bar on my daily car. i can tell you that on white car you can pass a lot of hour with this product removing rusty spot cause by brake dust.

i have found another product that work really well i don't know if its available in the us.

it's call final fallout by ultralook

http://www.ultralook.com/nettoyeur.htm

in order you wash the car normally with soap you rince it, then you apply the final fallout and let it do the job for like 5 minutes and rince it back again and almost everything is gonna be gone.

so maybe if you use a clay bar the first time and then this product each week its gonna do the job.and its best to wax the car after because this product and the claybar remove all paint protection
1974 challenger on its way..

Offline slsc98

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013 - 08:43:49 AM »
spam, tommy, elmoska, thanks for the ideas (we will also check the local PepBoys and I am quite curious about this 'final fallout').  The guy I bought my car from had his son clay bar it before he took it to Carlisle last year where we met.  The young man did an incredible job, smooth as silk, front to end and top to bottom.  Then, in I guess November, I had to drive the car to my buddy's shop in the pre-dawn hours and got caught in "non-forecast" downpour.  The rain wasn't so bad but, the "spray" from other cars and trucks completely wiped the previous finish out.  I mean, its sad.  I tried washing and simply JaxDetailing the car before I put her away fro the winter but, well, as most of you know, nothing compares to a clay bar job, done well. The wife and I learned the effectiveness of clay barring on her original '66 GTO, once we got it home in 2010 so, other than finding the time (and quiet spot) to do it right, I have no excuses for "bringing back" my own finish. Thanks to you for starting this thread, Oldschool, I will probably just knock out a panel or two at a time at each car show we go to over the next couple of months (before it gets too hot here in So. MD, that is)!