Author Topic: Removing door belt aluminum trim  (Read 760 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Removing door belt aluminum trim
« on: March 29, 2013 - 04:15:15 PM »
I searched and found one or two topics about this, but I am still not totally clear on how to do this
I ordered some new repro pieces to replace my scratched pieces, and since my existing metal is not badly scratched or pitted, and very salvagable IMO, I definitely want to make sure I dont bend or damage them on removal, so maybe I can sell them to someone who can refinish them. They will need to be sanded, buffed, sanded, etc, re-anodized, but otherwise in good condition.

Not sure what type fasteners I have, but is the trick in carefully prying up under each clip to a 45degree angle? or is it in trying to push on the clip to squeeze it to pop out of a hole?
I am guessing I should order new clips in anticipation of breaking at least some of them? For that I will wait and see if any break.
Thanks.

Heres a picture of the biggest scratch (probably not as bad as it looks under a camera flash). They have a few very small dents, and lots of very minor scratches, so I will be happy to replace them since these are about the last cosmetic blemish on the car, and not to be modest, but Ive spent a lot of time cleaning it up, and these scratches stand out like a sore thumb on an otherwise nearly perfect looking car. At least from 3-5 feet  :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013 - 04:28:41 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: Removing door belt aluminum trim
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013 - 07:42:25 PM »
Figured it out.
But I will post pictures in another better developed thread about this.
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013 - 08:24:15 PM »
I'll buy your scratched ones, if you are not going to use them.  PM me!  :cheers:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013 - 08:52:21 PM »
I'll buy your scratched ones, if you are not going to use them.  PM me!  :cheers:

Let me get them all off first. Then I will take some pictures and get back to you.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013 - 11:49:31 AM »
Thanks!