Author Topic: Parking brake and etc for disc brakes......  (Read 4631 times)

Offline 62BT409

Parking brake and etc for disc brakes......
« on: April 02, 2013 - 06:04:24 AM »
Everyone should know by now that I am looking for a e-body, so I run across one and it has new disc brakes all around with 17" custom wheels. SO, I'm old school and want the stock look and thought it would OK to keep the disc brake setup.......WRONG. Stock rallye wheels will not fit due to the large calipers and such. I research some disc brake manufactures (which is a pain in the back-side). It seem none offer parking brake set up. yes, there is one or two, I have a set up on my Demon. And that is a minor issue once in awhile. The car in question has a parking brake cable installed but not hooked up...WTF? So had anyone run across this and what fix did you come up with? I hope I explained this in a sensible fashion :o)
"HOME"

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living".

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
Parking brake and etc for disc brakes......
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013 - 07:24:35 AM »
There are companies that make e brake disks. Wilwoods for example. They have several on eBay
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Parking brake and etc for disc brakes......
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013 - 09:52:51 AM »
Just a thought....  When you say "stock rallye" are you meaning 14" or 15" or both?
I have rear disc's with a parking brake from Cass ( DrDiff)  mind you I have never tried ralley rims but I do use 15" rims?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:06:06 AM »
I would be wanting to use 15" stock Rallye rims. Now the set up from Cass....are they GM (Camaro/Cadillac) parking brake set up? I used that on my Demon and got the rear parking brake setup from "The Right Stuff" No bad but requires constant adjusting. Meaning you have to pull the P-brake on each time you park in order for the lever to adjust the pad up. What I do is just sit still and pull the P-brake in and out numerous times.And I also had to had custom Rallye wheels for the from with disc and we had to grind the caliper down some to get the stock Rallye's to fit the rear.
"HOME"

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living".

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:13:56 AM »
Mine are the smaller of the 2? kits he sells . They are Ford Cobra  calipers and Toyota Cressida rotors

Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:17:24 AM »
I believe I see what you mean. At least it is not the small drum style that a friend o mine had years ago. And they we a pain in the backside. So you pull on the hand brake or set the pedal on the P-brake and all is fine???  And I knew that I should have taken a few pics when we were doing this work, but I'm not a picture person. I can ask Cass if they are OEM Rallye friendly ;o)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013 - 10:19:01 AM by 62BT409 »
"HOME"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:20:03 AM »
I believe I see what you mean. At least it is not the small drum style that a friend o mine had years ago. And they we a pain in the backside. So you pull on the hand brake or set the pedal on the P-brake and all is fine???  And I knew that I should have taken a few pics when we were doing this work, but I'm not a picture person.

:lol:  to be honest IDK.... I've never used the parking brake?  :crazy: But its all hooked up to the stock pedal?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:47:37 AM »
:lol:  to be honest IDK.... I've never used the parking brake?  :crazy: But its all hooked up to the stock pedal?
Exactly.....I don't use the parking brake until I notice that I have very little brake pedal....and start yanking like crazy. Did the e-brake cable come with the disc brake setup?  I was just in Montreal on Friday to check out (2) 71 Cudas.
"HOME"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013 - 10:51:52 AM »
Exactly.....I don't use the parking brake until I notice that I have very little brake pedal....and start yanking like crazy. Did the e-brake cable come with the disc brake setup?  I was just in Montreal on Friday to check out (2) 71 Cudas.

Yep Cass supplied the cables. I'll have to try out the parking brake next time I have the car out!  ::) :lol:
Any nice Cuda's? " Hunting " them is half the fun!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013 - 11:05:57 AM »
Funny you should say that. I just mentioned to the wife last night that the hunt is the best part and she agreed. Like when we bought a boat at the Miami Boat Show in 2001. Flying home we were real quite and then both said....the fun is up now, we have a boat. No more flying around the country on weekends looking at boats :o)
The orange Cuda - 440/6 pak was real nice, the blue Cuda Hemi was OK but needs a little attention. Both were 4-speeds and convertibles. One is listed in the "For Sale" are here in this forum and on ebay. The wife is somewhat adamant about an automatic. So when I can include her, my the sky is my limit :o)
"HOME"

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013 - 11:08:42 AM »
Blue Cuda............the last post said the files were too big
"HOME"

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013 - 11:14:31 AM »
Just got an answer back from Cass (Dr Diff) [Quote "My 10.7" rear disc brake kit will fit stock 15" Rallye wheels."]  Now that is great news, where was he when I did my Demon 4 years ago ???? :o)
"HOME"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013 - 11:25:42 AM »
Just got an answer back from Cass (Dr Diff) [Quote "My 10.7" rear disc brake kit will fit stock 15" Rallye wheels."]  Now that is great news, where was he when I did my Demon 4 years ago ???? :o)

:2thumbs:  nice looking Cuda's as well!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013 - 02:10:35 PM »
I have the Right Stuff disk brakes on the back of my 71 Cuda and the stock 15" rims fit no problem at all.

1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline 62BT409

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013 - 04:16:59 PM »
I have the Right Stuff disk brakes on the back of my 71 Cuda and the stock 15" rims fit no problem at all.

Did the Right Stuff say what the calipers are from, because they do not look like the ones I bought and put on my Demon.
"HOME"