1st Time Poster - 1st Mopar - Engine dies when put in gear

Author Topic: 1st Time Poster - 1st Mopar - Engine dies when put in gear  (Read 13009 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: 1st Time Poster - 1st Mopar - Engine dies when put in gear
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013 - 05:41:43 PM »
This sure is a strange problem, seems to be multiple things at one time.

No it isn't a strange problem.  You just need someone with knowledge to do an advanced tune up for you, or take some time to read up on carb, ignition timing 101 on finicky  6 pack old school ways.  You haven't mentioned anything about power valve size, out board adjustments for specific tunes, distributor phasing, plug heat ranges, jet sizes in the center carb. Honestly, it really isn't that hard to do and I am quite sure you can get that slightly over stock tune up done and then get ready for the regular issues you will have to deal with when it comes to long term driving a 6 pack engine. Also, keep in mind that all PCV valves are not created equal and can rob vacuuum to hastle and trip you up on a/f  adjustments.  You'll get there, you seem intent, but read up on this and then use some of the helpfull suggestions you have been given.  You shouldn't need no extra canisters or things of this type other than stock tune up issues, unless you plan on getting into a bigger combo. Take note that some 6pk intakes had issues to , that had to be address, and the issue Wade had mentioned is correct.  Also you need to make sure your vacuum advance is correct for your engine. They may look the same, but if not adjustable, it can and will be different.  Also the springs for the weights in your distributor. 

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013 - 08:39:20 PM »
this is a partial read without the cans required to achieve the idle timing that is optimum..after reading this is why i ended up at where im at now with my setup,,with my cam/combo it has made a big diff...without knowing the specs from the OP motor he will or will not have to apply some of this.a vacuum gauge is an absolute must to set it up,dist,power valve,general tuning..mines sears craftsman..regardless its a good read..hopefully to help out someone at least..

as a rule of thumb,,get the timing set 1st,at least way inside the ballpark and then the carbs...

TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101

The most important concept to understand is that lean mixtures, such as at idle and steady highway cruise, take longer to burn than rich mixtures; idle in particular, as idle mixture is affected by exhaust gas dilution. This requires that lean mixtures have "the fire lit" earlier in the compression cycle (spark timing advanced), allowing more burn time so that peak cylinder pressure is reached just after TDC for peak efficiency and reduced exhaust gas temperature (wasted combustion energy). Rich mixtures, on the other hand, burn faster than lean mixtures, so they need to have "the fire lit" later in the compression cycle (spark timing retarded slightly) so maximum cylinder pressure is still achieved at the same point after TDC as with the lean mixture, for maximum efficiency.

The centrifugal advance system in a distributor advances spark timing purely as a function of engine rpm (irrespective of engine load or operating conditions), with the amount of advance and the rate at which it comes in determined by the weights and springs on top of the autocam mechanism. The amount of advance added by the distributor, combined with initial static timing, is "total timing" (i.e., the 34-36 degrees at high rpm that most SBC's like). Vacuum advance has absolutely nothing to do with total timing or performance, as when the throttle is opened, manifold vacuum drops essentially to zero, and the vacuum advance drops out entirely; it has no part in the "total timing" equation.

At idle, the engine needs additional spark advance in order to fire that lean, diluted mixture earlier in order to develop maximum cylinder pressure at the proper point, so the vacuum advance can (connected to manifold vacuum, not "ported" vacuum - more on that aberration later) is activated by the high manifold vacuum, and adds about 15 degrees of spark advance, on top of the initial static timing setting (i.e., if your static timing is at 10 degrees, at idle it's actually around 25 degrees with the vacuum advance connected). The same thing occurs at steady-state highway cruise; the mixture is lean, takes longer to burn, the load on the engine is low, the manifold vacuum is high, so the vacuum advance is again deployed, and if you had a timing light set up so you could see the balancer as you were going down the highway, you'd see about 50 degrees advance (10 degrees initial, 20-25 degrees from the centrifugal advance, and 15 degrees from the vacuum advance) at steady-state cruise (it only takes about 40 horsepower to cruise at 50mph).

When you accelerate, the mixture is instantly enriched (by the accelerator pump, power valve, etc.), burns faster, doesn't need the additional spark advance, and when the throttle plates open, manifold vacuum drops, and the vacuum advance can returns to zero, retarding the spark timing back to what is provided by the initial static timing plus the centrifugal advance provided by the distributor at that engine rpm; the vacuum advance doesn't come back into play until you back off the gas and manifold vacuum increases again as you return to steady-state cruise, when the mixture again becomes lean.

The key difference is that centrifugal advance (in the distributor autocam via weights and springs) is purely rpm-sensitive; nothing changes it except changes in rpm. Vacuum advance, on the other hand, responds to engine load and rapidly-changing operating conditions, providing the correct degree of spark advance at any point in time based on engine load, to deal with both lean and rich mixture conditions. By today's terms, this was a relatively crude mechanical system, but it did a good job of optimizing engine efficiency, throttle response, fuel economy, and idle cooling, with absolutely ZERO effect on wide-open throttle performance, as vacuum advance is inoperative under wide-open throttle conditions. In modern cars with computerized engine controllers, all those sensors and the controller change both mixture and spark timing 50 to 100 times per second, and we don't even HAVE a distributor any more - it's all electronic.

Now, to the widely-misunderstood manifold-vs.-ported vacuum aberration. After 30-40 years of controlling vacuum advance with full manifold vacuum, along came emissions requirements, years before catalytic converter technology had been developed, and all manner of crude band-aid systems were developed to try and reduce hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust stream. One of these band-aids was "ported spark", which moved the vacuum pickup orifice in the carburetor venturi from below the throttle plate (where it was exposed to full manifold vacuum at idle) to above the throttle plate, where it saw no manifold vacuum at all at idle. This meant the vacuum advance was inoperative at idle (retarding spark timing from its optimum value), and these applications also had VERY low initial static timing (usually 4 degrees or less, and some actually were set at 2 degrees AFTER TDC). This was done in order to increase exhaust gas temperature (due to "lighting the fire late") to improve the effectiveness of the "afterburning" of hydrocarbons by the air injected into the exhaust manifolds by the A.I.R. system; as a result, these engines ran like crap, and an enormous amount of wasted heat energy was transferred through the exhaust port walls into the coolant, causing them to run hot at idle - cylinder pressure fell off, engine temperatures went up, combustion efficiency went down the drain, and fuel economy went down with it.

If you look at the centrifugal advance calibrations for these "ported spark, late-timed" engines, you'll see that instead of having 20 degrees of advance, they had up to 34 degrees of advance in the distributor, in order to get back to the 34-36 degrees "total timing" at high rpm wide-open throttle to get some of the performance back. The vacuum advance still worked at steady-state highway cruise (lean mixture = low emissions), but it was inoperative at idle, which caused all manner of problems - "ported vacuum" was strictly an early, pre-converter crude emissions strategy, and nothing more.

What about the Harry high-school non-vacuum advance polished billet "whizbang" distributors you see in the Summit and Jeg's catalogs? They're JUNK on a street-driven car, but some people keep buying them because they're "race car" parts, so they must be "good for my car" - they're NOT. "Race cars" run at wide-open throttle, rich mixture, full load, and high rpm all the time, so they don't need a system (vacuum advance) to deal with the full range of driving conditions encountered in street operation. Anyone driving a street-driven car without manifold-connected vacuum advance is sacrificing idle cooling, throttle response, engine efficiency, and fuel economy, probably because they don't understand what vacuum advance is, how it works, and what it's for - there are lots of long-time experienced "mechanics" who don't understand the principles and operation of vacuum advance either, so they're not alone.

Vacuum advance calibrations are different between stock engines and modified engines, especially if you have a lot of cam and have relatively low manifold vacuum at idle. Most stock vacuum advance cans aren’t fully-deployed until they see about 15” Hg. Manifold vacuum, so those cans don’t work very well on a modified engine; with less than 15” Hg. at a rough idle, the stock can will “dither” in and out in response to the rapidly-changing manifold vacuum, constantly varying the amount of vacuum advance, which creates an unstable idle. Modified engines with more cam that generate less than 15” Hg. of vacuum at idle need a vacuum advance can that’s fully-deployed at least 1”, preferably 2” of vacuum less than idle vacuum level so idle advance is solid and stable; the Echlin #VC-1810 advance can (about $10 at NAPA) provides the same amount of advance as the stock can (15 degrees), but is fully-deployed at only 8” of vacuum, so there is no variation in idle timing even with a stout cam.

For peak engine performance, driveability, idle cooling and efficiency in a street-driven car, you need vacuum advance, connected to full manifold vacuum. Absolutely. Positively. Don't ask Summit or Jeg's about it – they don’t understand it, they're on commission, and they want to sell "race car" parts. 

#9 (permalink)    10-12-2007, 11:21 AM 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013 - 09:30:49 PM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013 - 09:16:02 PM »
Still looking for cam specs, I can't remember if it was a stock or a mild upgrade.

Wheels try to turn around 1500 and then override the brakes and makes the car go forward at about 1700 rpm.

It was still acting funky so I raised the idle rpm to 1150 from 950 and when I put it in gear it drops to 675-700.  If I go and then start to stop, it drops all the way down and then cuts out and I have to shift to N or P to start up again.  This sure is a strange problem, seems to be multiple things at one time.

I found the part number for the B28 in a corvette forum because it had changed many times I guess.  The current part number is Duralast DV1810 at Autozone.  Here is a link to the other forum tracing back the part number:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2453730-where-to-find-b28-vacuum-advance-can.html

given your vacuum readings, it acts like it has a larger duration cam in it...but, it may be a vacuum leak or carburetor problem.  Be sure that the throttle blades are set properly as suggested above.    With a near stock cam, it should have a solid idle at a much lower idle rpm and not drop too much when put into gear.  It sounds very lean to me at the moment.  With initial timing around 15-16 degs, it should have a solid idle and not need as much rpm nor need additional advance via a vacuum advance.

If it actually has a longer duration cam in it, then the converter is probably too tight.  Knowing what is in the engine (camwise) would help narrow the problem down.

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013 - 11:15:05 PM »
""I added a vacuum gauge between the booster and manifold and it's reading 10-11 at idle.""

that says a performance cam..and if its in nuetral its worse yet for idle quality..thats as bad as the cam i just removed..when i dropped it in gear it went to 4 1/2"...the after bottom dead center intake closing is not great,,it looks like its a high overlap sit.not good for street apps...my car drops appx 350 rpm's when drive ingaged,but,,i have 45 degree's advance with the vacuum hooked up..

get the timing well into the ball park 1st.use a timing light..then carbs,set floats 1/8" below port,not right at it.,also..what u can do with those stock carbs..adjust the front carb idle air screws 1st,,cover the outside holes looking down into the ventury with your finger and adjust until theres no change when covering/uncovering the holes,,both sides,,linkage relaxed/closed butterflys,

then swap the front carb for the rear and repeat,,because u cant get to the rear carb idle screws..it will be tuned quite close.i run 2 steps colder plugs,,run it and check them for fouling..AFTER setting your timing.u cant set the carbs without the timing right there...once dialed in your 6 pack should be trouble free..providing that 10" of vacuum cam will let it!!no worrys,,mine did..with vacuum advance.

set power valve 2 points below measured vacuum at idle in gear..should be good to go..

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013 - 11:55:31 PM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013 - 07:42:28 AM »
45 degrees timing!  :scared:  really? Must be a typo?
FYI I have a pretty healthy hyd roller cam and mine drops about 400 rpm's when I put it in gear too. I have 6" of vacuum at idle
 ( automatic)
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013 - 10:22:37 AM »
45 degrees timing!  :scared:  really? Must be a typo?
FYI I have a pretty healthy hyd roller cam and mine drops about 400 rpm's when I put it in gear too. I have 6" of vacuum at idle
 ( automatic)

LOL!,,,no typo,,actually its 42..but as soon as the throttle blades r cracked open it drops back to the 34 that its set at,,really helps at idle.see article above...its ethier that or crack the throttle blades open so much to keep it running in drive that the carbs r no longer using the idle circuits..6"??serious duration.. i have 14" at idle,,9 1/2-10" in gear.i gained 1" of vacuum using the vacuum advance..   
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013 - 10:35:21 AM »
I drilled holes in the throttle blades to improve the idle.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013 - 11:04:30 AM »
I drilled holes in the throttle blades to improve the idle.

i thought about that too,,my timing is 20 + 14,dist, + 8 vacuum,,easy starting,no pinging,crisp throttle response..

several diff ways to get the job done   :thumbsup:
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline defend21

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013 - 06:29:54 AM »
Take a look at this video on your tube: 
1968 GTX STALLS IN GEAR

It looks exactly like what's happening to me.  Jump to 7:55.  Throughout the video he is checking rpm and vacuum and adjusting this and that.  Motor runs fine at low and high rpm without load.  I think this may be the problem.  Is there any other way to test other than replacing?  $400 from Summit for a new one, I would hate to have ANOTHER unused part on the shelf......

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013 - 09:19:36 AM »
Are your outboard carbs still vacuum as stock or converted to mechanical? If stock, are the throttle blades closed at idle as they should be? The linkage is not adjusted incorrectly so as to crack open the outboards at idle, giving an inaccurate idle. Idle speed is set on the center only. The outboards only come into play when there is enough vacuum on the pods to open the carbs up under acceleration. The idle stop solenoid cracks the center carbs throttle blade open when the engine is turned off to prevent run-on because the idle speed is higher. My T/A has a 284-484 purple shaft cam (old), 4-speed, 3:91 rear and idles at 1100. It's not excessive. If your idle settings are all correct, why not bump the idle up some and drive it. As previously posted, your converter might just be a little tight and require more idle speed or just continue to shift it to netural like you stated. I do that with my convertible often because of the same condition. I assume the car runs fine on the road and the idle is your concern.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 - 09:32:07 AM by Got JOB »
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline defend21

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013 - 09:56:44 AM »
I saw a plum T/A last year at the Wendy's cruise-in in Cobb County.  Not Cobb or Paulding plates though.  I'll check that out when I get home and report back.  Mine is auto with 3.91.  I've read through this article which also has the scanned pages of six-pack adjustments, just to get familiar with the setup as recommended.  http://www.mopar1.us/6barreltips.html

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013 - 10:01:41 AM »
That was me. :bigsmile: Last Sat. we drove it to Chattanooga to Coker Tire cruise but was all full, so we came back to Cartersville at the
Depot downtown. Next time you see me, stop and introduce.

Ricky
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 - 10:19:19 AM by Got JOB »
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline defend21

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013 - 11:27:56 AM »
Will do Ricky......

Stock Cam - Hydraulic .430" Intake .445" Exhaust (Googled it)

Mopar Stock Replacement P4452782 says 228/235@.050", .429/.444 lift

Like I said earlier, I thought after raising the idle that it seemed to help but alas, it still dies.  I'm going to double check one more thing, after swapping out the trans gasket and filter, it's possible that for some odd reason, the port to the converter got blocked and is not circulating fluid properly.  I read somewhere that the symptoms I'm experiencing could be that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 - 11:31:04 AM by defend21 »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013 - 10:58:30 PM »
You didn't degree that cam in, did you?   It sure sounds like it is retarded. It may be some of the other issues to, but if the cam is found to be retarded and then corrected, some of those symptoms may just clear right up.

Offline black68gtx

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013 - 02:51:58 PM »
Same situation...read on. The Challenger was running ruff at idle brake and gas pedal situation at stop lights. drop into gear and a you'd get a jolt. Decided to check the metering jets on the 6 pack and now I can't get the car stop dying when I put it into gear.
Here's my situation:

I'm tuning my 6 pack setup and after doing the necessary tuning my car stalls when I put it into any gear.
I had  metering jets 64 in the center carb it did it, but with the idle curb set higher it would run. I decided to change the metering jets to  63 (thinking that it was getting to much fuel).
After installing the 63's it got worse (trying to out it into gear).
I think that maybe I should had gone the other direction and put the metering jets 65 instead of the 63's.
My outboard jets are 80 at the diaphragm and 82 at the throttle.

I'm assuming the center carb is "lean".
I have good vacuum , I've tuned the outboards enough to get a good Idle and a vacuum, along with the timing set at 900 and the timing at 14 btdc

I do not have the manifold heat blocked.
What's your thoughts?