Author Topic: Question on rims for my Cuda  (Read 874 times)

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
Question on rims for my Cuda
« on: April 08, 2013 - 03:33:10 PM »
Looking to get a set of rims for my car and I see a ton out there, just not too sure if all will fit my car.  Currently, I have 14" 5x4.5 bolt pattern...standard rally rims.  I bought a pair of 15x9 rally rims for the front of my car, knowing that I'd be looking for 15x10 for the rear....so, I'm looking for 15x10, 5x4.5 with a 6.5" backspace...the only place I can find them is Stockton Tire and it's gonna be about 3 weeks before I get it AND about $220 per rim b4 shipping  :scared:.  Realizing I may spend close to $550.00 for just 2 rims shipped, it got me looking at a real cheap set (for now) but most of what I've looked at are "truck/SUV" rims.  Will those work even though they say "truck/SUV"?  Here's an example (I know it's not the right size and all, it's only as an example):

I really like the back rims that are out there, it's just 99% of them are made for trucks or SUV's.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Question on rims for my Cuda
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013 - 03:51:59 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the all black rim look, nor do I care for the Gobot look of most modern truck rims, but to each their own as this hobby is all about personalization.

IMO, the biggest hurdle with that option is that getting truck rims in the right bolt pattern will be almost impossible, or at the very lest, very expensive. Trucks are, for the most part, are going to have bigger bolt patterns or more bolts, like the 6 lug pictured.

IMO, $550 for a pair of rims aint bad when the really good units are runing upwards of $1000 per. However, it all depends on how you wanna use them. If you want some inexpensive rims, maybe  look at the Jegs or Summit house branded stuff. If you're really set on all block, Cragar or Weld may have some options.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013 - 03:53:32 PM »
I'm probably the last person that should be responding here, but here goes...    ???

The only reason I can see them stating these wheels are for trucks/SUV's is because of the tire size you will put on there. It's nothing a "normal" car would have in size from the factory.

My question for you is do you have a B-Body rear end? I ask because 6.5" backspacing is too much for a stock E-Body rear.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013 - 04:26:17 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the all black rim look, nor do I care for the Gobot look of most modern truck rims, but to each their own as this hobby is all about personalization.

IMO, the biggest hurdle with that option is that getting truck rims in the right bolt pattern will be almost impossible, or at the very lest, very expensive. Trucks are, for the most part, are going to have bigger bolt patterns or more bolts, like the 6 lug pictured.

IMO, $550 for a pair of rims aint bad when the really good units are runing upwards of $1000 per. However, it all depends on how you wanna use them. If you want some inexpensive rims, maybe  look at the Jegs or Summit house branded stuff. If you're really set on all block, Cragar or Weld may have some options.

Thanks for your input, I like the all black look and have found quite a few rims that are labeled "Truck/SUV" with the same bolt pattern (Jeeps & Rangers mostly).  I know $550 is fairly cheap but I'm also on a little time budget here as well (failed to mention that, my bad) cause I've got some work lined up for the car and the guy would like the tires on it so he can set everything up.

I'm probably the last person that should be responding here, but here goes...    ???

The only reason I can see them stating these wheels are for trucks/SUV's is because of the tire size you will put on there. It's nothing a "normal" car would have in size from the factory.

My question for you is do you have a B-Body rear end? I ask because 6.5" backspacing is too much for a stock E-Body rear.

I thought so but I am SO in the dark when it comes to rims.  I don't have a b-body rear end but I did have my springs relocated and moved in quite a bit.  I used a tool from Jegs called Wheelrite which calculates backspacing based on rim diameter and tire size:

and based on that, it's roughly 6.5"....probably more like 6.25 but I don't think the .25 will matter too much...I suppose I could use a spacer if it's rubbing on the inner fender but there appears to be plenty of clearance.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0