Author Topic: hemi steering gear replacement  (Read 576 times)

Offline kycuda

hemi steering gear replacement
« on: April 08, 2013 - 05:34:54 PM »
Need help,I recently installed a march performance serpintine sysytem with less than 1000 miles on since it blew my steering sector shaft seal out while backing out of the garage.it appears to me that the cross member will have to come out to get gear box out.the front tube on header sits out in front of box and can't slide back .the box can't slide because of headers.any advice is greatly needed and appreciated.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: hemi steering gear replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013 - 06:06:13 PM »
never worked on one in a hemi car, but my guess is you can replace that seal with the box in the car?   remove the steering column...  :dunno:
not sure why you mention the march perf stuff... has it got anything to do with the seal? Maybe I dont understand you correctly.... oh well...
*** Bart ***

Offline kycuda

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013 - 07:57:18 PM »
never worked on one in a hemi car, but my guess is you can replace that seal with the box in the car?   remove the steering column...  :dunno:
not sure why you mention the march perf stuff... has it got anything to do with the seal? Maybe I dont understand you correctly.... oh well...
the reason I mentioned is march comes with a billet power steering pump and I failed to mention it had just started whining like it was low on fluid  the last time I drove it,but it wasn't.so I was wondering if the pump may have failed and blew seal out .the seal that blew out is on bottom of gear on sector shaft under pitman arm.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013 - 12:37:00 AM »
ow... ok, misunderstood....

not sure why it blew out but can`t you replace that seal from underneath the car?   :clueless:
*** Bart ***