Gimme a Brake

Author Topic: Gimme a Brake  (Read 1278 times)

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
Gimme a Brake
« on: March 16, 2005 - 12:18:41 PM »
I have decided that it's time to update/upgrade the braking system in my Chally.  Currently, I am running the stock disc brake system up front.  I was thinking about going with cross-drilled rotors for better stopping power, and maybe an aftermarket caliper.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to a reliable/good brake upgrade?

Not looking to remortgage the house for Viper brakes, but a bit more stopping power could never hurt. 

Are cross-drilled rotors a worthy upgrade?  Is the factory calipers good enuff, or should I go aftermarket?

What about pads?

Appreciate the help, gang!!
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
Re: Gimme a Brake
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005 - 12:24:37 PM »
Well, I was just daydreaming about that EXACT set-up about a week ago.
The Paddock has it - hold on to yer bonnet 'cause I think it was 1300 smackers for cross drilled rotors, calipers and lines and I believe that only applied to the front.
So needless to say, I've got some other things the money will get me and I just will keep the standard front disc.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005 - 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I was just taking to a guy at a Performance Shop here intow, who said that he could seel me a kit with 13" discs, 4 piston calipers and new knuckles for the bargain price of $3700.00!!

And was nice enough to offer to intall it for a mere $650 !

Why, I'd be stupid NOT to!!

(in the mean time, stock discs are $30.00 on-line)

Offline BB73Challenger

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005 - 12:47:19 PM »
Hmmm... better jump on that deal before the guy is SOOOOO backed up with work he couldn't squeeze you in.

Offline kowalski

• Challenger=SCCA Trans Am Homologation Special
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 - 09:54:55 PM »
Go to ar engineering dot com and buy their wilwood caliper conversion.  it converts your stock spindles to accept the wilwood dynalite caliper and the stock 11.75 inch rotors.  After everything is said and done you will spend between 400 and 500 dollars and you will drop about 20 pounds off the front end.  thats all unsprung weight! I'm using this system on my road race challenger.
1970 318 bored .060 over edelbrock performer intake ported and polished 360 J heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust double springs carter hi cap fuel pump edelbrock victor series water pump MSD 6AL flotech headers

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005 - 10:13:07 PM »
Cross-drilled and slotted rotors aren't realy made to reduce the stopping power but rather reduce the effects of break fade. I personally like the looks of the drilled rotors, so I recommend them, but drilled rotors are a lot more likely to crack, so thats something to think about. If you want a good performing rotor that will last a long time, than just get a slotted rotor. The slotted rotors give you better break feel vs. stock because they slots allow gases to be released and they are a lot less likely to crack compared to drilled rotors. Also, look into the viper brake conversion kit(ArEngineering.com) You can get used viper calipers on ebay for about 450 bucks, 11.75 drilled and slotted rotors for 120, and the coversion kit cost 140 I think.....basically, if you do some shopping and are patient, you can get viper brakes for under a grand(at least thats what Im trying to do) GOOD LUCK.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline BB73Challenger

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005 - 06:53:50 AM »
kowalski - thanks very much for that link, good stuff.
You say you are running this set-up? A few quick questions:

did you start with power disk and if so did you switch to a manual brake booster
15" tires - they will clear everything right?
I know to take this question with a grain of salt but - how bad was it to get all the pieces and installation?
You said 400-500 all said and done - is there a reason why I shouldn't consider this pretty hard?

Thanks

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005 - 08:32:24 AM »
I had heard that slotted rotors do not expel the gasses created by braking, but the cross-drilled do.  And the build-up of the gasses can separate the brake pad from the rotor surface, reducing braking (?)

This is why I elected for drilled and not slotted.  Not to say that I am not content with the factory caliper, but I assume that at some point in the past 30 years, braking technology may have been improved.