subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys

Author Topic: subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys  (Read 10044 times)

Offline death befor toyota

subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys
« on: March 16, 2005 - 02:40:35 PM »
which one is a all together a faster car stock or modify ?

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Re: subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005 - 02:41:52 PM »
Depends on the application, and engine in the E body.  On a road course, no contest, the WRX is the winner.  At the strip, it depends.

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005 - 03:01:34 PM »
ask that same question in 100,000 miles ...LOL

Offline mopar is king

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005 - 03:37:59 PM »
a hemi e-body can beat it on the 1/4 mile and a 440 six pax cuda could beat in on 1/4 mile as for top speed a wrx sti tops out at 147 mph (governor) and 150 mph without. and the top speed of a dodge challenger hemi is (underrated) at 146 mph . but back then mopar and all others would be under rated because of very high insurance rates they underated everything horses power was rated at 425 for the hemi but would be more like 500 hp. and the top speed was underated as well it would be a faster top speed car then the wrx sti. the e-body is better.
YOU LIKE THEM SPINING TIRES (JOE DIRT)

Offline 70challenger r/t

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005 - 07:20:46 PM »
a 1970 e-body with a 426 hemi that has 28"tires and a gear ratio of 3.23 and at 6600 rpm can do 170 mph as it's top speed so that is alot better then the wrx sti top speed of 147 mph. hemi e-body has a faster top speed. and is alot better car.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 - 09:39:17 PM »
a 1970 e-body with a 426 hemi that has 28"tires and a gear ratio of 3.23 and at 6600 rpm can do 170 mph as it's top speed so that is alot better then the wrx sti top speed of 147 mph. hemi e-body has a faster top speed. and is alot better car.

Perhaps in a straight line, but, the E body would be hard as hell to control at that speed, and, on a road course, the WRX would eat it alive.  That being said, I'd still take an E body over a WRX.

Offline mopar is king

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005 - 10:01:15 PM »
do you think a AAR cuda or challenger T/A could ceep up with the wrx on a road course not as good at handling but could it ceap up with a wrx sti ?
YOU LIKE THEM SPINING TIRES (JOE DIRT)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005 - 03:07:54 PM »
do you think a AAR cuda or challenger T/A could ceep up with the wrx on a road course not as good at handling but could it ceap up with a wrx sti ?

Maybe.  I wouldn't expect them to.  Keep in mind, the T/A and AAR are 30 year old cars.

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005 - 04:17:52 PM »
Id have to say the WRX, modern 21st century tires suspension.  As for throw you in your seat, looks sound and power strait line the hemi, but then who keep these things stock  :grinyes:

HEMI           lets see what they go for in 35 years
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005 - 08:48:41 PM »
which one is a all together a faster car stock or modify ?

Not comparable.
Try SRT4
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005 - 09:56:44 PM »
Shouldn't this be in Off-topic? :dontknow:  It just seems off the beaten path to talk about which car is the faster one in the Cuda and Challengers Galore section.  Since I'm here though, I'd say Hemi for sure in all out performance.  Subaru's are nice newer cars, but you can't compare something that was meant to take corners at an accelerated speed and compare it to something that's 34+ years older.  Old technology has it's advantages, but new technology puts the past in its place. :eeksmall:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005 - 10:06:24 PM »
Good catch Street...I'll move it.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

cudahob

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005 - 07:10:22 AM »
How about a Viper Muuau ahhhhah aahhhh  :fire:

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005 - 08:14:43 AM »
It would beat it in both, but I'd still take the old E -body any day over a wrx  :wave:

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005 - 09:48:08 AM »

This is one that I should know the answer.

Just in case you don't know, there is a big difference between a standard WRX and a WRX STi. It is about the same as the difference between a Mustang GT and a Cobra. The factory swaps the engine,  trans, brakes, much of the suspension, and a lot of interior and trim items. A difference between the SVT and STi is that Subaru made an effort to lighten the car. Where as the Cobra includes all options, the STi has lighter rear seat, less sound deadening and, in the case of the 2004, the radio was not even a factory option.

As to performance, the STi is very quick off the line, as you would expect with AWD. It has both front and rear limited slip difs. The center dif can be user programed to split front/rear  tk from 15/85 to 50/50 (as I recall?).
The WRX differs from other AWD setups in that it can be considered a RWD car with FWD added rather than FWD with RWD added like the Mit Evo. Stock for stock, it is way faster than my Cuda or Cobra in the 1/8th. In the 1/4 a stock 440 could do just as well. If I were into that kind of thing, I would say the STi was a great stop light racer. All this is of course on dry pavement. And (I know you don't want to hear this) around here where it is wet about half the time, performance on slick streets is awesome.

Now as to which is "a lot better car" I would have to consider all of the things that are related to performance, not just raw HP, and say that the STi beats the Cuda in all but one category. But if your are a luxury oriented kind of guy, the Suby sucks.

I don’t think it would be a good idea to drive either the Cuda or the Sti much faster than 120 unless you’re on the salt flats.

Most of all, the two cars were never intended for the same purpose. Stock, the Sti isn't a great 1/4-mile car. It was built as a reasonable facsimile of the world rally car. So it turns like it was on rails. My wife has asked me if the navigators in the WRC cars ever blow chunks (as I stopped to let her out). Don't know, but I can sympathize.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005 - 11:31:44 AM by Yellow_Fish »