subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys

Author Topic: subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: subrau wrx sti vs. mopar e-bodys
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005 - 08:40:06 PM »
There is NO WAY on earth a stock Challenger, Cuda, AAR, T/A will keep up with a WRX around corners. NEVER.

The Subaru is AWD, light and made to do cornering being a rally car and all.

Stock 1/4 mile times for the Subar are 14.2-4 and big block E-Bodys (440s-HEMI) doing it around the 13.8-14.

0-60mph my money would be on the E-Body but not by much and with good traction. Rolling start espeacially.  :grinyes:

Open road speeds the E-Body will never be touched, the WRX wouldn't know which way it went.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005 - 10:14:26 PM »
aren't you guys comparing apples to oranges???   Its kinda like...wich is better eating an apple or an orange...And i'm guessing the 0-60 on the wrx is really quick considering its awd and will have a ton of traction...where as an Ebody is rwd and enless you ran them on slicks you'd spin em...but i really don't find the point of this topic..i'm sorry but i never have and probably never will....Now if you'd compare maybe MAYBE a SRT4 like who ever mentioned ...it might be worth arguing about...but ebods?? comeon...sorry my rant is over...I'm tired..later
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005 - 10:48:17 PM »
On the qtr mile track it seems to me the CUDA or Challenger would not only win, it would stay
together better with minor modifications. Slicks, NOS and automatic transmission valve bodies ect.

Do that to new rice and watch the fireworks   Ka-boom

As for road racing in this country the streets are wide flat and straight with very few curves and
twisties so who needs to turn fast anyway :dontknow:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005 - 10:51:11 PM »
As for road racing in this country the streets are wide flat and straight with very few curves and
twisties so who needs to turn fast anyway :dontknow:
Thats a really REALLY good point! Open roads are plentiful over there and finding some good strecthy roads would be harder to find compared to down here where there are heaps and HEAPS.

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005 - 01:28:15 AM »
There is NO WAY on earth a stock Challenger, Cuda, AAR, T/A will keep up with a WRX around corners. NEVER.

The Subaru is AWD, light and made to do cornering being a rally car and all.

Stock 1/4 mile times for the Subar are 14.2-4 and big block E-Bodys (440s-HEMI) doing it around the 13.8-14.

0-60mph my money would be on the E-Body but not by much and with good traction. Rolling start espeacially.  :grinyes:

Open road speeds the E-Body will never be touched, the WRX wouldn't know which way it went.

Stock 1/4 mile time for the US spec STi is 13.29 sec. - Hot Rod Jan 2004

Acceleration, 0 - 60 mph 4.9 sec - Road and track Readers Choise Award : Best Car 2004

Just how far is it between stoplights anyway?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005 - 01:33:13 AM by Yellow_Fish »

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005 - 01:44:04 AM »
Do that to new rice and watch the fireworks   Ka-boom

The STI isnt a cheaply built ricer, its well built just like the SRT-4 and EVO VIII and all 3 of these cars can easily support 400FWHP with no modifications to the rotating assemblies. There are STIs that are running 11s without internal modifications and plenty of them have used NAWWWSS without blowing up. Now STOCK vs. STOCK, the STI would win hands down in the 0-30, 0-60, stopping, and handling catagory vs. an e-body. Now if your talking modified, then you have to lay down the rules for the extent of modifications allowed. Can the STI do a turbo swap? can the ebody use a stroker? or a blower? how bout an alterKtion k-member or Baer brakes? the list goes on and on....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005 - 01:34:44 PM »
I would have to disagree with mopar is king guy,all mopar engines are  NOT underrated, they are on the money, a stock hemi made exactly 425 horses, ive seen it on dynos, and it was also on dream car garage, when they were building the purple chally. 440s made about 350 hp, as seen in mopar magazine,  340s made 275-280 hp. also in mopar magazine,  there is a guy here that had a 440-6 built for his RR, completly stock, and it made 365hp on the dyno. and when i did my 383 the first time, stock, it made 340hp and only 400 ftlb of tq. As for the STI, i seen them run 12s at almost 110 in the 1/4 pure stock, well mabe a k/n filter, I have not seen a stock mopar even with slicks run those #s. maybe 1 time when they were professinally tuned and driven by a experianced driver, and beleive me ,no t/a or aar  e- body even come close to handling to the sti. And also, I know a guy who maybe put 600-700 bucks in his car and now he runs in the high 11s  i think it was 114 mph,  those cars are no jokes,  but u still cannot compare the new stuff vs the old stuff, they are safer,handle better , brake better and perform better. and i will admit to that.And oh yea , who ever would want to do 170 in a hemi e- body , is insane!!!!! and on drugs!! . OK let the wars begin!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005 - 02:21:56 PM »
But who really drives a STOCK car? Bring on the Turbos........ :grinyes: :boxer: :driving:

I have to disagree with your times Yellow Fish, My Dad owns an RSK-B4 quicker than the WR-X and hits the 0-60mph in 6 flat.

1/4 mile is again in 13.8-14 second range.

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005 - 03:21:54 PM »
todd383  the 426 would produce 425 at 5000rpm?? i'd have to look it up in my book again to get exact rpm. but the 426 would put out 500hp at 6000..so they did underrate the 426 i dont' know about any of the other motors but its been proven that the 426 made 500hp at 6000rpm. 
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005 - 05:20:42 PM »
Mopar 426 crate Hemi makes 465hp with 9.5:1 compression, otherwise this motor is the same as the Hemis in our muscle cars.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2005 - 08:23:32 PM »
But who really drives a STOCK car? Bring on the Turbos........ :grinyes: :boxer: :driving:

I have to disagree with your times Yellow Fish, My Dad owns an RSK-B4 quicker than the WR-X and hits the 0-60mph in 6 flat.

1/4 mile is again in 13.8-14 second range.

Well I don't know about your dad's car but a stock WRX runs a 0-60 in 5.4 sec. if you have no respect for the clutch. The US Spec WRX STi which is a 2.5 ltr unlike all other markets, easily gets the 4.9 and you don’t even have to waste the clutch to get it. Remember it has the 6 speed manual trans (only) and the axils are 3.90s.

Those are published times not mine (ours). Our car only has about 3k miles on it yet, the track at PIR just opened last week and if it stops rainning we might give it a try.

All my cars are stock.

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005 - 08:33:57 PM »
todd383  the 426 would produce 425 at 5000rpm?? i'd have to look it up in my book again to get exact rpm. but the 426 would put out 500hp at 6000..so they did underrate the 426 i dont' know about any of the other motors but its been proven that the 426 made 500hp at 6000rpm. 

Remember the math for calculating HP is; Torque X RPM / 5252

You must use the peek torque value, or a point at which torque is not dropping faster than RPMs are climbing.

If your torque line is flat to 6000RPM (none are) and the engine doesn't grenade at that RPM then there would be a considerable increase in HP from a 5k rating to 6k.

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005 - 08:40:57 PM »
BUT, even more interesting, we are comparing the MIGHTY 426 HEMI to a little Jap 4 banger and arguing about a few .1s of a second.

Pretty amazing. Huh.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005 - 12:10:19 AM »
Yip and with 35 years plus of tech and half the weight there still crap.

We get the Subaru limited versions down here only us and Japan recieve them, don't know why but Japan loves our market I guess cause were a major rally player, so we see all the one off models made be Blistein and Porche designs and there all hitting the 0-100kph (2km more than 0-60mph) in the mid 5's.

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005 - 09:20:13 AM »
Yip and with 35 years plus of tech and half the weight there still crap.

We get the Subaru limited versions down here only us and Japan recieve them, don't know why but Japan loves our market I guess cause were a major rally player, so we see all the one off models made be Blistein and Porche designs and there all hitting the 0-100kph (2km more than 0-60mph) in the mid 5's.

No doubt about the 35 years and to some extent, that is my point.

There is about 100 lbs differance between my Cuda nad the STi. I would imagine that the HEMI would ad another 300 lbs (all hemi options).  You would think that the additional 125HP (min. under reated and all) would make up for that.

As to being crap, you remember, the E bodies did not have such a good rep in the 70s. I'll have to say that in 2002 I purchased one of the first WRX's. I thought I was going to have to push it home several times. I had all kinds of sensor problems. It toasted a cat one day the fuel was so rich. Had it to Subaru a dozen times. I can't be sure, but it all stopped when I added a larger ground from the bat to the eng block.

On the other hand the STi has been flawless at 6 months 3k miles.

You guys need to understand I'm not knocking the Cudas (or 70s muscle in general). If I didn't like them so much I wouldn't have kept mine for 26 years, or put so much work into it. But you are really missing out if you think that they stopped building cool, relatively affordable, cars in the early 70s.

By the way my wife likes the Cuda better too. She says that the STI would be OK (likes the color) if it didn't have the big nose (scoop) and the big tail (wing). And if she doesn't have to ride in it when I take it out to the twisties. :driving:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005 - 10:03:25 AM by Yellow_Fish »