Author Topic: Fitting all new AMD body panels to a 'Cuda  (Read 6619 times)

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: Fitting all new AMD body panels to a 'Cuda
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016 - 08:18:20 PM »
Ever the contrarian, I'll say this- the factory threw (and in many cases this is the correct descriptor) it all together at one time. It's doesn't make it impossible and it may, actually be an aid in certain cases. Most of us have realized that the factory gaps were and are a joke. My car, before it got cut up, had gaps under the doors between the rocker, that you could slide your fingers under. Having said that, the opportunity to take your time and fit the panels as nicely as possible, is there when you start  from scratch. You have to look at it as a giant, metal jigsaw puzzle. The other gentlemen are correct advising the car to be on it's suspension, as that's the way the car will carry it's load and if you build-in stress by welding it up when not in the position it wants to normally be in, you'll regret it. You've got the diff in it, so I'd support it in the frt where the Kmember resides as well. Here's the great secret of doing bodywork- if it doesn't fit; why doesn't it fit and what do you need to do to make it fit- period. Spending hours trying to put the sheet metal equivalent of 10lbs of $hit in a 5 lb bag is not only expensive, it's infuriating. Hang the panels- all of them- and see how your gaps go. You appear to have the lock plrs still in it, so your options regarding door/qrtr gaps are finite unless you want to move them. See the previous comment about that. I'd re-hang the doors and fndrs and see how they go; if they're within spec, hang the 1/4's and see what you've got. Watch your body lines since while the doors can move up and down; the 1/4's won't move much. If you can get a good fndr/door/qtr alignment and gap, pin them in place and see how the whlhses go in. Remember to stick the rear floor in before you finally hang the 1/4! Ain't bodywork fun?! Enjoy.  :cheers:

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016 - 01:08:41 AM »
Ever the contrarian, I'll say this- the factory threw (and in many cases this is the correct descriptor) it all together at one time. It's doesn't make it impossible and it may, actually be an aid in certain cases. Most of us have realized that the factory gaps were and are a joke. My car, before it got cut up, had gaps under the doors between the rocker, that you could slide your fingers under. Having said that, the opportunity to take your time and fit the panels as nicely as possible, is there when you start  from scratch. You have to look at it as a giant, metal jigsaw puzzle. The other gentlemen are correct advising the car to be on it's suspension, as that's the way the car will carry it's load and if you build-in stress by welding it up when not in the position it wants to normally be in, you'll regret it. You've got the diff in it, so I'd support it in the frt where the Kmember resides as well. Here's the great secret of doing bodywork- if it doesn't fit; why doesn't it fit and what do you need to do to make it fit- period. Spending hours trying to put the sheet metal equivalent of 10lbs of $hit in a 5 lb bag is not only expensive, it's infuriating. Hang the panels- all of them- and see how your gaps go. You appear to have the lock plrs still in it, so your options regarding door/qrtr gaps are finite unless you want to move them. See the previous comment about that. I'd re-hang the doors and fndrs and see how they go; if they're within spec, hang the 1/4's and see what you've got. Watch your body lines since while the doors can move up and down; the 1/4's won't move much. If you can get a good fndr/door/qtr alignment and gap, pin them in place and see how the whlhses go in. Remember to stick the rear floor in before you finally hang the 1/4! Ain't bodywork fun?! Enjoy.  :cheers:

When the factory built these cars they started by dropping the frame rails & joining members into a jig, that assured the foundation was somewhat consistent...  There are alignment tabs, alignment holes, lots of things that made the cars pretty consistent, not robot consistent but not that bad...   End of the day do what your comfortable with.. I personally prefer to get the frame rails when the factory put them...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016 - 04:48:44 PM »

When the factory built these cars they started by dropping the frame rails & joining members into a jig, that assured the foundation was somewhat consistent...  There are alignment tabs, alignment holes, lots of things that made the cars pretty consistent, not robot consistent but not that bad...   End of the day do what your comfortable with.. I personally prefer to get the frame rails when the factory put them...
:iagree: Yep, no argument from me, there.  :thumbsup: