Author Topic: Hood pins on a flat hood.  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Suulan1

Hood pins on a flat hood.
« on: April 22, 2013 - 09:14:54 AM »
I recently bought a Hoodpin kit for my challenger -73
My question is if i will get problems installing those because i got the flat hood?  :clueless:

I searched this forum for it, but only found alot of installation guides for older cars and other hoods..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013 - 09:24:55 AM by Suulan1 »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Hood pins on a flat hood.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013 - 01:01:21 PM »
You won't have any problem at all.

I have them installed on a modified flat hood.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Suulan1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013 - 01:25:38 PM »
Great!!  :bananasmi
Then i have to drill all mountingholes this weekend, so i can foliate the hood black next week  :woohoo:

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013 - 01:42:01 PM »
I believe there is a diameter difference between the 2 skins on the hood.The larger diameter is on the underside of the hood.Please confirm info  :smokin: :nono: :dogpile:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013 - 11:32:40 PM »
Suulan, do you know where the pins go? 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Suulan1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013 - 06:11:22 AM »
I do know where the pins are supposed to be, there are allready some predrilled holes from the factory in the fenders i think. Have seen alot of pictures where the pins should be, but never seen a a flat hood from the inside.
Only reason I ask here is because my car is still in a garage about 1hr from me.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013 - 10:46:06 PM »
I did them on my flat hood.  I also documented the process, check it out http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=61678.msg634483#msg634483

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013 - 12:28:41 PM »
I do know where the pins are supposed to be, there are allready some predrilled holes from the factory in the fenders i think. Have seen alot of pictures where the pins should be, but never seen a a flat hood from the inside.
Only reason I ask here is because my car is still in a garage about 1hr from me.

I recently put hood pins on my 70 Challenger that has a later model SHAKER hood.  The first time I did it, I wasn't happy with the end result.  So, I bought another hood-pin set, and did it again.  I'll post photos and details of what I learned from my first attempt later today.  Don't install yours until you see my next post.  You'll be better off in the end.  Trust me.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline Suulan1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013 - 03:09:11 PM »
I recently put hood pins on my 70 Challenger that has a later model SHAKER hood.  The first time I did it, I wasn't happy with the end result.  So, I bought another hood-pin set, and did it again.  I'll post photos and details of what I learned from my first attempt later today.  Don't install yours until you see my next post.  You'll be better off in the end.  Trust me.

I will wait for your post then!  :)
I wont drill the holes in my hood but use a 16mm hole punch instead (roughly 5/8 inch) I think that should make a cleaner hole than a drill. or what do you guys think?

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013 - 07:48:26 PM »
I will wait for your post then!  :)
I wont drill the holes in my hood but use a 16mm hole punch instead (roughly 5/8 inch) I think that should make a cleaner hole than a drill. or what do you guys think?

Okay, so the 1st time I installed the hood-pin bezels, I did it like probably everyone else had done.  What happened (at least in my case) was when I tightened the screws, the bezel collapsed/flattened at the screw holes (see photo #1 of flattened bezel).  The reason for the collapsing/flattening is because the "ridge" on the underside of the screw hole is not as deep as the center hole's and outer bezel's ridge (see photo #2).  If you have the standard repop hood-pin kit, you'll see that the bezels are slightly dome shaped (see photos #3 & 4; these are 2nd install).  The dome shape (on my first install) was basically lost when the screws were tightened (I don't feel that I overtightened them either).  The other problem with my first install was:  When I drilled the screw holes, I held the drill bit perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle to the hood surface).  ** Tip: Hold the bezel in your hand; put one oval-head screw into the bezel's screw hole, and hold it down with your thumb (or finger) such that the screw's threaded stud is exactly in the center of the hole (look underneath and make sure it's not touching any sides of the hole's ridge).  When you do this, the screw's head will be in the same "plane" as the angle of the domed bezel.  When the screw is properly aligned in the screw hole, the threaded stud is NOT perpendicular (90 degrees) to the bottom of the bezel.  It is angled slightly inward toward the center of the bezel.  That slight angle is the same angle that the drill bit should be to the hood's surface (I just did my best to "eye-ball" the angle the second time around).  ** Tip: To prevent collapsing/flattening of the bezel when the screws are tightened, I used "sealing washers" in between the underside of the bezel's screw holes and the bezel's rubber gasket (see photo #5 of sealing washer).  I believe I ended up placing the washer on top the rubber gasket with the sealing side down.  I can't remember what size I used, but you'll find them at your local Big Box or hardware store in various sizes (it should be fairly obvious what the best size is once you see the variety).  ** Tip:  The other thing I did the 2nd time around was to use stainless oval-head machine screws instead of the supplied self-tapping, oval-head sheet metal screws.  Of course, you'll need to drill slightly larger holes if you use the machine screws.  I also used stainless nuts, washers and lock washers.  I ended up using two different length screws so that I didn't have too much extra thread showing beyond the nuts (see photo #6 & 7), but have decided to cut off the visible excess thread to get an even cleaner look (so, in the end, I really didn't need two different length screws).  Maybe I'm just a bit anal, but I couldn't stand looking at the distorted/flattened bezels of my first install, nor did I like the look of the sheet metal screw tips poking through the underside of the hood (IMO - the machine screws with nuts/washers looks more professional).  To get the best results, it takes time, patience, and accuracy.  Don't rush the job.  It's a bit more of a PITA doing it the way I did it on the 2nd go around, but I'm MUCH happier with the end results.  BTW - I implemented many of the same tips in the process that are documented by "67vertman", and the tips provided by the other members in that thread (especially the one about temporarily installing the hood pins and putting grease (I used a tiny dab of white paint) on top of the pin, then lowering the hood to transfer.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline Suulan1

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013 - 06:23:42 AM »
Wow! Thats one really great guide with some excellent pictures!
I will for sure follow those steps!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013 - 02:27:32 PM by Suulan1 »

Offline Suulan1

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013 - 01:20:17 AM »
I follwed that great guide of yours, and it came out just perfect!!
Thank you!

There is a pic of the result with the pins installed on http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44440.2250

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013 - 05:05:45 AM »
I follwed that great guide of yours, and it came out just perfect!!
Thank you!

There is a pic of the result with the pins installed on http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44440.2250

You're very welcome.  I'm glad to hear my guide helped.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013 - 10:36:32 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Some good tips!