Jesus I need a beer.

Author Topic: Jesus I need a beer.  (Read 17916 times)

Offline dusty

Re: Jesus I need a beer.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013 - 12:21:49 AM »
Wow, what a story.......I am happy your wife is better. Been through some hard times myself and can relate. When I get back from my next deployment I plan to start my resto.......scares me to death  :puke:

Stay strong and keep at it!  :cheers:

Amen and appreciate your service! :wavingflag:

Here she is as of tonight. The gas tank is here and the front end kit is on order.

I'm having to really work the hood. It was way rougher than previously thought.

I'm pondering matte blacking it.

Offline dusty

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013 - 04:44:15 PM »
Last four nights and yesterday and today I've been focusing on the hood. It was in worse shape than I thought and needed a pinhole welded, and it was dented like crazy. I think somebody made a baby on it in 1971 or so. :)

Since I'm a neophyte body person, I've been researching how to fill in a hood that needed massaging. Since this was a factory hood I tried hard to save it and the money I saved can go for the engine build.

Anyway here is a shot of the hood a few hours ago and then one after the first coat of primer.

and here..

Offline dusty

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013 - 05:02:50 PM »
Just sitting here thinking about it.. if I can get some high build 2k on it tonight... I may shoot it with Urethane to see how wavy gravy it is..  :scared:

Offline dusty

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013 - 02:28:31 PM »
I was really frustrated with it the hood last night and almost pulled the car out with the intention of burying it nose down out the in the field and shooting at it from time to time with a .222 or 30-06 but after getting home today I realized a little more primer and a little more sanding might make things better.

First coat of three primers here.

I feel optimistic.

Offline 360FISH

• BS23H3B567746
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013 - 01:33:51 AM »
Honestly, I think it's looking great.  I am hessitant to attempt painting cause I've never done it, but your'e pictures are giving me the bug to try it.

:)

Keep it up...  what you share helps others.  :)

Alan
1973 ‘Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to ’72 offset

Build: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74674.0

Offline Gumby

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013 - 11:08:22 PM »
Nice work!
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline dusty

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013 - 08:47:24 PM »
Thanks gang! It's been loads of work on the hood because I accidentally used the wrong hardener in the black primer coat and ended up stripping back down to bare metal the next day..

So take note to always use a fresh hardener.. mine was old and didn't get hard. It was a disaster and I wanted to cry.

In all honesty however it was a blessing because after I got down to bare metal under the etch the media blaster did was a bit of rust, so I treated it and re etch primed the metal and primed and sanded it yesterday and also shot it yesterday.

My PPG guy said to do it all one day..  :screwy:

But I did and it looks okay after the first coat.

Concurrently working on the rear drivers side quarter panel where a patch was welded. I'm using fiberglass there and I really like the fiberglass better than run of the mill filler. It won't hold moisture either. It's more difficult to feather in but it is way more durable.

The front valence has shaped up nicely (broken bracket that was rewelded and a friend and I straghtened it)... Put it into build/sand primer tonight and hopefully will shoot it with color tomorrow.

Also started 400 sanding the car... I really wanna get it painted.

Been working like a dog, and taking 2.5 steps forward, and 2.1 steps back but hell at least it is moving forward. Instead of repairing the factory rear valence I've decided to order an AMD one that is EDP coated. It just isn't worth the effort to fix it. I think someone push the car with a hay fork and it is super rusty.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013 - 12:26:32 AM »
I would seriously consider shooting the insides of all panels in colour,  then reassemble all to the car and then shoot the exterior . The way you are going now will show difference in colour / surface when done.   :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013 - 07:32:51 AM »
I would seriously consider shooting the insides of all panels in colour,  then reassemble all to the car and then shoot the exterior . The way you are going now will show difference in colour / surface when done.   :2cents:

Ya. Probably going that route. The whole cockpit/underside/ and everything else is shot.

Just trying to get her sealed up right now.

My current thought/leanings are to get it as straight as possible and shot in colour (and clean with few dust/nits).. And then take her to a reputable shop and have them re-shoot her so I can pay them to paint it and not do 200 hours of body work and sanding.

At least this way the car will be fairly straight, and then all it will need is sanding and shot for the final time.

I'm shooting a single stage metallic and it's tricky to lay down down correctly. BC/CC is more forgiving but the colour just looks better in single stage. On the hood the activator was a bit outside it's temp range so it was trying to go on dry...

So many variables. :)

Also thinking about test sanding and buffing a section of the hood, and also test clear coating a section. It's just paint. It sands off  and you put more on till something works. Ehehehehe.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013 - 07:45:47 AM by dusty »

Offline dusty

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013 - 08:29:15 PM »
Well I went ahead and painted her today. Noted the temp/humidity and gun settings. Will paint the hood again tomorrow using the same batch, and valence as well using the same batch.

It isn't perfect, but damn I'm proud. I've never painted a car before.

I finished the SE window almost to the point of not installing the vinyl top but the top is going back on. That's good considering I had a drop of paint plop down on the roof.. LOL.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013 - 08:35:38 PM by dusty »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013 - 12:18:28 AM »
sweet!    :clapping:    go drive it  :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013 - 12:11:37 AM »
Long ways to go before she be driven. I reshot the drivers side today and worked on the hood and shot the valence..

Also got the rear window mechanisms back in along with the glass and oiled them and they work well.  :swaying:

Here a few pictures from today/tonight. Cleaned up the filler tube and put it in..

As you can tell I also put the chrome on around the wheel well lip. The reproduction wheel well chrome I've seen isn't ridged. It's flat right? This is original and is ridged. I cleaned it up some buy it needs some polishing and straghtening, but I figure this can wait for a while. I even saved the original screws to go back in.

I also reused the original foam gasket that goes on the filler tube. It seems okay so I used it. :) I.E. The foam gasket between filler tube and the great big FUEL PORTAL on the side of the car. Dad came by and askeb me why I'm not polishing it... I wouldn't have painted the car if it hadn't been re-painted from purple. I'm really trying to get things back on *then* take it slow and go back through it over the years and get it A1.

Here is the drivers side rear glass up and back in place. These were a pita. There is a trick to getting them in there. I know this now. :P

I had removed the rear window assemblies because I didn't want all the finish getting blasted off them and also because they didn't need to be filled with media. Anyway I'm not repainting the bolts or cleaning them even.. In they go. They are happy in their home.

I'm gonna save the original bumper and hang this up over the door inside at some point. I'd save the sticker and put it on the new bumper if I could, but I can't.. Heh.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013 - 12:40:49 AM by dusty »

Offline dusty

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013 - 12:49:49 AM »
The paint will cure fairly fast now that Global Warming allowed it to to 35° F in MAY.. Which is really freakin' cold here for this time of year. Anyway.. I shot the car. It's half assed painted. I worked like a dog on it and now I'm sticking things on and in and then when it's all together and running and driving and is a happy car again, I'll take it to a body shop I know and trust and they can clean it up.

As a side note.. does anyone know where to source the correct plastic seal that goes behind the door panel (interior)?

I saved the passenger side and the drivers side, but I can only seem to find the passenger side.... But it's probably up there... Haven't look really hard for it yet..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013 - 12:56:56 AM by dusty »

Offline ourname

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013 - 01:01:13 AM »
You have done a great job of your car. I have been as busy as you are  getting mine done. It does start to look like you are moving forward as you start assembling.  Body work and paint is an art, I am finding the more I do the better it is getting. Do not get discouraged as every "artist" see's there faults.

Keep moving forward it will be awesome when completed.
1966 Charger
1974 Cuda
2005 Daytona
2012 Ram 1500 Sport

Offline dusty

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013 - 01:28:26 AM »
You have done a great job of your car. I have been as busy as you are  getting mine done. It does start to look like you are moving forward as you start assembling.  Body work and paint is an art, I am finding the more I do the better it is getting. Do not get discouraged as every "artist" see's there faults.

Keep moving forward it will be awesome when completed.

Thank you. I've tried hard to keep it honest with the car... I'm going to. I respect all the guys that keep it honest and real. I've gotta focus on mechanicals as well and soon the big thing will be to get my engine from R&R in Huntsville...

They've been pure gold throughout the whole ordeal.

Intake, engine, heads and all and they have been patient and kind.

It's time to get the engine. :)