Author Topic: Jesus I need a beer.  (Read 17908 times)

Offline dusty

Jesus I need a beer.
« on: April 28, 2013 - 10:16:58 PM »
It's been about a year since I logged in. I hope everyone is well and having fun. Today I decided to get the old girl off the jack stands and on her feet. I put the doors on and the front fenders, and for kicks put the radiator in.. I don't know why.

I've suffered with Challenger Disease for my whole life, and this one car was gonna be restorers retirement/shop expansion and then the whole damn world went to hell in a basket and yet..

yet...

I still have her and life is good. Today. Today.. She stood again.

And it gets me to thinking, damn boy, one of these days she is gonna be SWEET.

Offline dusty

Re: Jesus I need a beer.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013 - 10:28:46 PM »
I have like five threads on this particular car. It isn't easy doing a rotisserie resto on a small budget, but we put a little towards it a YEAR. One of these days it will be done.

I love the car and today both my boys were finally old enough to actually HELP me and they ENJOYED it.

They didn't need Minecraft and the Xbox.

That's a good investment. JMHO.

Carry on everyone. :)
 :rebel:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013 - 11:32:22 PM »
You need to stop in more often!   :wave:

Offline dusty

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013 - 07:30:31 AM »
You need to stop in more often!   :wave:

10-4! I'm gonna start putting her together this year because I'm tired of her parts being spread all over the shop.

Today she gets her tranny put in and out of my dang way.Most times when I stop by I end up getting dejected because I see all the pretty cars and know how far this one has to go, but it is also a good kick in the pants to get her going.

Offline dusty

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013 - 07:33:16 AM »
Ordered a new gas tank and the rubber seal yesterday and got Mar Hyde sprayed on the front fenders. I painted the left front fender with a couple of coats of paint and have a new idea on how to progress on this car.

I'm tired of the car being in pieces, and everyone wants a million dollars to re-assemble it, but you can't reassemble it until you have it painted.. Right? Right?

Well I've decided that I'm going to finish all the paint that is behind the scenes so to speak and then lightly prep the true visible portions of the car and then re-hang and install EVERYTHING.

Then when the car is all back together I'm going to take it to a shop and have them cut and buff and tape and spray the exterior in a clean room environment.

At least this way the car will be all together and sealed against rust and will also allow me to move forward with the project at the same time.

So today I will sand and spray the right front fender.
Finish the rear window insert where some glazing was needed and paint that.
Hang both fenders and get the doors level and opening and closing well.

If I have time begin to reinstall the window glass hardware.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013 - 08:49:15 AM »
respect, dusty  :2thumbs:   take a deep breath and keep going.  I know about building an e-body with no funds... it takes triple the hours ,triple the time and triple headaches but one day you will hit the road and smile.....  :cheers:
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013 - 11:54:36 PM »
respect, dusty  :2thumbs:   take a deep breath and keep going.  I know about building an e-body with no funds... it takes triple the hours ,triple the time and triple headaches but one day you will hit the road and smile.....  :cheers:

Aye, and thanks man. It wouldn't be so bad but this car had the funds, had the support and it all started when my wife got sick. My father had committed to having it restored because I lost an Olds Rallye 350 in a fire at his house a long time ago.... In short he prodded me to buy this car and send it to a guy in Huntsville.... Okay dad.. Cool.

We buy the car and it sits for a year then I take it apart. Dad is 1000% behind me. He has the money. I don't.

We send it to Huntsville and the restoration begins and god bless him he paid some money for what was done. I dig that. I understand that. I didn't ask for that.

Then my wife's father got really sick and my wife didn't handle it well and Dad bought a new Corvette and wanted me to go to Huntsville for an exhaust to get installed on it. I just... couldn't.

I knew my wife was acting weird and I couldn't tell him but just had to rely on the .. I can't dad.

He called me that night, wanting to like tomorrow and my wife was acting weird and I was starting the long descent into worry about her state of mind.

He yelled. He cussed. He wanted me to follow him down there and bring the factory 'vette exhaust back and I'd walk through hell for dad but I went through hell for my wife and kids, and he yelled.

And yelled.
and yelled.
and then said :"I'm not going to help you at all with car."

Okay Dad. How apropos.

Thanks for believing in me.

I had a 2010 Challenger as well. I sold it for my wife. I was trying everything to make her well. She wasn't herself. She was on some shrinks Rx and was slowly going effin' nuts.

Then a scant year later my wife was admitted to an institution because her meds were ALL wrong. But I stuck with her because I knew it wasn't her.

It was messed up y'all.

So my dad forsaked my car because of his anger. My wife went nuts because of the wrong meds and Steroid induced pschychosis on top of that.

What an effin joy.

She's back though. Better than ever. I always believed in my wife. She just needed the right medicine.

I still have the car too, and for that and the hell my dad put me through it makes me bitter, but...

I worked three hours on her today, after working 12 hours.

And one day my friends... it's gonna be done.

Offline dusty

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013 - 12:03:54 AM »
I believe in my car too.  :bigsmile:

Now where is the beer :)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013 - 12:13:00 AM »
well.... like I said...triple headaches  :dogpile: 
get yourself some decent dutch beer and go from there buddy  :cheers:
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013 - 12:55:53 AM »
well.... like I said...triple headaches  :dogpile: 
get yourself some decent dutch beer and go from there buddy  :cheers:
Right on. It's going well. I really appreciate it.

As a side note: Who makes these? I saved this image because it was important, and need to get it replicated.

Maybe since we are now in Holland I can visit Amsterdam. :)

Offline dusty

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013 - 01:11:02 AM »
Sanded and painted the passenger side door jamb tonight. Also worked like hell on the fenders, several low places where the emblems go.. but I shot one with a lot of single stage and it looked pretty good.

Sand, sand, sand.

The hood has me worried. I'm not sure I can get her straight but why not? It's only metal.

This may be the first Challenger ever shot entirely with a touch up gun..

It lays down great if dust is under control.  :working:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013 - 07:18:01 AM »
I hope this isn't the wrong this to say, but I was way more interested in the story of you, your wife and your father than what you've said about the car. That's a heckuva story. Don't want to compare notes, at least at the moment, but I've been there, and in some ways I still am, but as the Beatles said, "It's getting better all the time." And like you, one day my car will be done  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013 - 07:44:14 AM »
I think ECS makes the door stickers
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013 - 09:30:11 AM »
I hope this isn't the wrong this to say, but I was way more interested in the story of you, your wife and your father than what you've said about the car. That's a heckuva story. Don't want to compare notes, at least at the moment, but I've been there, and in some ways I still am, but as the Beatles said, "It's getting better all the time." And like you, one day my car will be done  :bigsmile:

For sure man. Life throws a lot of curves sometimes. It was a wild ride for sure.

Just gotta hang in there. One day our cars will be done but at the end of the day it's really just a car. What matters is health and happiness. I don't have anger towards Dad or anything... Just a little resentment but that's okay.. he's a good man. He just can't wrap his mind around what went down with my wife getting strung out by her trusted doctors. Boy I cussed them out.

In the end though she finally got what she needed. I thank god for that.

So ECS makes the stickers. That's cool. Gonna order one pronto.

Have a great day folks.

Offline Matt70

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013 - 11:46:16 AM »
Wow, what a story.......I am happy your wife is better. Been through some hard times myself and can relate. When I get back from my next deployment I plan to start my resto.......scares me to death  :puke:

Stay strong and keep at it!  :cheers:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell