Author Topic: Jesus I need a beer.  (Read 17909 times)

Offline dusty

Re: Jesus I need a beer.
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013 - 09:04:04 PM »
Thanks guys! Pulled the front suspension back out today. Not nearly as worried about the front end rebuild after I got in there and got it all apart and laying on the floor!

Gonna clean and paint the K member and it won't go back in, until the engine is ready to go in..

So I'm about to lay off and start throwing some dough at the engine so I can it here and get it and the transmission back in where they belong!

Offline dusty

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013 - 01:00:31 PM »
Took the whole front suspension to our restaurant and cranked the water heater past 190 today and blasted it good. The A arms had me worried because of the oddball nut, so carried them both to Byrds Alignment and the owner is removing them and the bushings for a couple of dinners...

fair trade. :)

Also the kit didn't come with tie rod sleeves but Byrds told me the Moog part  # which is ES319S.. So ordered them through O'reilly Auto.. 20.00 bucks each... Not bad...

They'll be in tomorrow and I'm going to paint the K member and components...

Kids are out of  Skool. Life is good.

Mopar Cafe has a nice ring to it.

Offline dusty

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013 - 11:02:15 PM »
Been a little run down the last two days, but am kicking back into gear.   :22yikes:

Put both side/door glass pieces in and am going to have to order some stuff for the tracking, but Year One has it so gonna get it...

I found a SE/RT rear window chrome set and have bid on it. It's crazy but just_gotta_have_it so hopefully it will end up here...

Drilled a nut that had been rusted in place on the rear finish panel and put it on.. test fitting really. Those dang fasteners are a PITA.

Front wind shield channel needed major work seven years or so ago, and the guy welded a bunch in and then skimmed over the trim rivet holes.. He left a few so tonight my attention turned to figuring out what to do get screws in there for the front windshield chrome.

I reckon we shall drill some holes. Makes me nervous but it's gotta be done.

Got my exhaust manifolds in... I like that.

Hope everyone has a great night/day wherever you are.

Offline dusty

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013 - 04:03:12 PM »
Today, picked up A arms and steamed 'em.. painted teh K member and distortion bars... :)

I'm not sure this is correct gloss. Will need to let it cure to see, and yes I know the dis-torsion bars were dipped (so was teh K member), but for a driver I don't see going to the the trouble..

Thoughts anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013 - 04:06:36 PM by dusty »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013 - 05:20:21 PM »
progress!  :bigshades: :clapping:  make sure there`s no paint in the holes for the tie rods and such
*** Bart ***

Offline dusty

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2013 - 10:22:05 PM »
progress!  :bigshades: :clapping:  make sure there`s no paint in the holes for the tie rods and such

Now you tell me. :)

It's okay though. I painted them heavy and there is probably paint in there, but it'll come out.

Re-shot the door jambs tonight, some nagging issues with them and the car seems relieved.

Really been fretting about fasterners. These side impact protection strips are a pain. The reinforced door means that something is gonna have to be found that pops in.

Luckily one strip has all the fasteners on it so I'm taking it to the fasteners store tomorrow. :eek4:

I'm worried about them.

That paint on the suspension components was not what was billed and is really glossy. I'm considering a semi-gloss clear over it...

Dunno.  :dunno:

Offline dusty

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013 - 01:45:48 PM »
After weeks of searching I found the exact-dead-on perfect/same fastener that the vinyl side inserts used..

I was so worried last night but these folks had them!

The first is the original 5/8's by 5/8's for a 3/8's hole.

And autofastco has the exact same thing. I bet i've talked to 15 fastener people around the country... YAY!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 - 01:59:50 PM by dusty »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013 - 02:03:09 PM »
Dusty..............I just read thru this thead...............amazing effort and patience to get the job done.   Look forward to the finished result.............and at your rate.........should not be to far down the road.    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Dave or David

Offline dusty

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013 - 10:27:00 PM »
Dusty..............I just read thru this thead...............amazing effort and patience to get the job done.   Look forward to the finished result.............and at your rate.........should not be to far down the road.    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks man. Actually built the whole shop for 1/2 the money a restorer wanted to charge for a turn key. This is turning out better though because I'm working for it and it's starting to really feel special.

Did some work on the side glass tonight again. I took the car apart over seven years ago and putting it back is going fairly well... (so far)...

I should probably knock on wood, but this is getting fun now.

Offline dusty

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013 - 10:33:49 PM »
I also stuck the front valence on. It's my intention to send the car to a proper shop once it's together for final body work but I needed the space in order to work on the rear valence...

It's okay. Alignement is not my thing... but it's exciting.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 - 10:37:44 PM by dusty »

Offline dusty

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013 - 05:39:30 PM »
Painted the sway bar and re-painted the hood today. I think this is the last paint that *i* will put on the hood. I'll leave it to the professors of paint to finish..

So thankful she is protected by an auto security system...

Offline dusty

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013 - 05:11:07 PM »
Picked up a variable speed buffer this morning and a couple of bottles of Meguires Ultimate Compound. All I can say is  :wow:! It isn't perfect yet but it sure is easier than rubbing out by hand, and I've been able to fix a couple of dust spots already... This being a metallic gotta be really careful and it seems where a dust nit landed the metallic seemed to gravitate to that area but dang it's a step forward.

Offline dusty

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013 - 10:30:30 PM »
Dad stopped by and we put the hood back on.. That's the rafters in the reflection. Still a ways to go tho.

Offline dusty

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013 - 11:54:04 PM »
This is how she looked when we bought her and DROVE her onto the trailer. :)

So many invisible problems.. And yes, ma mopar never painted her roof...

Offline dusty

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2013 - 02:35:57 PM »
Been ordering stuff today... Let's see.

Front windshield molding and clips..
Masticated rubber splash shield...

Combine the front molding and the back I gave 300.00 for and I'm up to 600.00!!!

WINNING! LOL.

I'm gonna need a valence chrome set as well, and found some A/C vents for sale... Might as well go buy them since I'm blowing money.

It's just money right?

Auveco sent me a sampler pack of fasteners and I found one that works perfectly for the vinyl side inserts!

Took the bumper brackets off and will likely treat them with phosphoric acid..

Gonna go ahead and get new bumpers front and back... shiny. :)