Author Topic: 1971 Hemi Cuda at Mecum auction...  (Read 9004 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: 1971 Hemi Cuda at Mecum auction...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013 - 04:19:52 PM »
Amazing car!  HOpe it's all legit.

Wonder if all those options (like spoilers, louvers) were OEM optioned.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013 - 04:36:57 PM »
That's a real beauty. It would look even more beautiful in my garage!!  :bigsmile:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013 - 05:46:27 PM »
I looked at it in person this year when it was for sale at Russo Steele.  Owner sets a high reserve.  I don't expect it to sell.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline aarcuda33

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013 - 06:51:30 PM »
 : shame they don't list the vin  There is a B5 blue 1971 hemi cuda out there I would strongly advise buyers to avoid No way to tell if its this one or not without the vin

Unfortunately  we live in a buyers beware market

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013 - 11:32:43 AM »
"Haircut Hemi's" VIN is BS23R1B197930. If I remember the Muscle Car Review article correctly, around 1989-90 it was found in a Florida trailer park with the Hemi long gone and a 340 small block in its place. So it doesn't have it's original engine but it is still an absolutely beautiful car and I wouldn't mind having it in my garage either. Only problem getting it there is that the last time it sold in 2008 it went for $396K and like Cody said I imagine the owner wants to get most of that money back out of it.
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline RzeroB

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013 - 11:45:08 AM »
: shame they don't list the vin  There is a B5 blue 1971 hemi cuda out there I would strongly advise buyers to avoid No way to tell if its this one or not without the vin

Maybe you are thinking of this one ... aka "The Phoenix" (VIN BS23R1B175222) ... which went from looking like it just came out of the crusher like this

To being resurrected and now looking like this

Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013 - 12:22:46 PM »
I would love to own either one...although they look much better with a black vinyl top in my opinion...
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline aarcuda33

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013 - 12:38:22 PM »
Yes that would be the very same car.
  It was dug up from underground on a farm in Indiana is what I was told . Your picture is very interesting do you know when and where it was taken ? It still has parts in it that I purchased off the car but it is in a different location then the car was when they tried to sell it to me . The car was still packed with wet mud when I looked at it but in your picture it looks dry . The fenders and shaker are off the car in your pictures and nowhere to be seen I took pictures off them also . The fenders were cut in half and the whole front end of the car cut off to remove the motor .   The ralley dash, radio , steering column ect were still in the car along with an original hemi spark plug tube . I'd forgotten the great pin stripping on the car Lol
 I'm going to have to dig back out my pictures and refresh my memory Lol

Offline RzeroB

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013 - 03:23:59 PM »
No, I don't have any pre-resurrection info on the car. Don't really know much about other than what is in the ad http://www.hemitraderonline.com/details.php?id=5136 However it seems that you have some first hand experience with the car. Do tell and enlighten us all.
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Offline 69ChargerRT

• Administrator
  • Resident
  • Its the car, right? Chicks love the car. - Batman
    • Daisy - My 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013 - 03:40:54 PM »
Maybe you are thinking of this one ... aka "The Phoenix" (VIN BS23R1B175222) ... which went from looking like it just came out of the crusher like this

To being resurrected and now looking like this

just proves all you need is a driver side tail light to bring a car back!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013 - 06:29:59 PM »
Or the VIN I.D. plate!  :nono:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline aarcuda33

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013 - 10:14:29 PM »
No, I don't have any pre-resurrection info on the car. Don't really know much about other than what is in the ad http://www.hemitraderonline.com/details.php?id=5136 However it seems that you have some first hand experience with the car. Do tell and enlighten us all.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or a serious question ?
 Yes I had first hand knowledge of the car and could have purchased it ( or what was left of it ) ! I only purchased a few parts off of the car wasn't much useable there . The guy who had it had gotten it for free called me and was just looking to make a little money . Motor gone trans gone front end of the car had been CUT OFF to remove the motor and trans . New owner claimed it had been buried on a local farm by some of the farmers sons friends after they removed the drive line . It did have a dash vin and a fender tag  both were very rough . Shaker hood and front rubber bumper were still with the car along with a broker trim ring.  I pried the roof of the car up and checked out the interior .( That's how I know your picture was before I saw the car) He told me the driver side door was with the car but he let another guy take it home for some reason .  I shot a roll of film of the car call a couple buddies to ask if they were interested and moved on.
 One of those buddies told me several years ago that the car was for sale but that the history of the car shall we say was very incorrect . He told me twice that the car sold at auction for big money but the buyers back out for some reason ( I don't know if this is true or not ) I was unaware the true history of the car was not being advertised until your Hemmings link.
 I ask the owner some questions about the car I believe two years ago at Carlisle without telling him I knew its history . He answered every question very carefully , never lied to me , but didn't come close , even with very leading questions to admitting the starting condition of this car before the resurrection
 Does that enlighten you at all or did I miss understand what you were  asking

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013 - 11:20:03 PM »
What questions did you ask and got a truthful response to?
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline RzeroB

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013 - 12:47:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or a serious question ?

It was a serious question - no sarcasm intended. It seems rare to find someone who actually has first hand knowledge of some of these cars - especially HemiCudas. I always find it interesting to hear from someone who actually had some form of personal interaction with one of these cars as it provides a unique perspective that you can't get in a sales ad. Got my popcorn, so please continue and give us some more on your personal perspective of this car as the story of how it got so mangled and then resurrected is very interesting  :popcorn:
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO