Author Topic: One way to get air.  (Read 4953 times)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
One way to get air.
« on: May 14, 2013 - 05:51:18 PM »
Side note. I know this is not everyone's taste but I use to have a cheap Edelbrock foam air cleaner on this engine. I recently found out that it was sucking the hood insulation down and causing the engine to lack air and stall or run rough. So I wanted to try something new. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think. The throttle response was greatly improved and although it looks modern the green filter matches the car color and is washable just like a K&N. Also all the parts are polished aluminum. So it looks pretty flashy.
Sorry the engine and bay is not very nice yet. I still have a ton of work to do.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013 - 05:53:07 PM by TRIPLE-GREEN »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: One way to get air.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013 - 06:34:29 PM »
I hate the hood insulation pads , traps heat & a lot of dirt right above the air cleaner , what is the benefit ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013 - 06:54:08 PM »
I'd position it towards the front of the car, to get as
much cold air as possible.  For every 10 degree drop
in air inlet temp, you get about 1.5% increase in engine power.

http://www.ramairbox.com/tubes.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013 - 06:55:49 PM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013 - 07:12:22 PM »
cannot tell how tall the "hat" is but you want as much room above the carb as possible to give the air room to make the turn and maximize air flow

Offline Mopar Thunder

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013 - 07:16:09 PM »
I agree with cudabob496, turn it to the front as much as possible.  I see in the pic there is the AC compressor directly in front. Cooler air is better. Glad to hear it is giving results.

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013 - 07:32:45 PM »
I agree with cudabob496, turn it to the front as much as possible.  I see in the pic there is the AC compressor directly in front. Cooler air is better. Glad to hear it is giving results.

This was my original plan but the air cleaner was to large and I could not get it low enough with the heater hoses and the alt. to clear the hood when I closed it. I would like to remove the A/C compressor and put it there but I need to find a way to remount the alt. I think it uses the bracket to mount the alt.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013 - 09:07:03 PM »
This was my original plan but the air cleaner was to large and I could not get it low enough with the heater hoses and the alt. to clear the hood when I closed it. I would like to remove the A/C compressor and put it there but I need to find a way to remount the alt. I think it uses the bracket to mount the alt.

You can also get 4 inch dia metal flexible tubing from the hardware store, which
they sell for dryer vent ductwork.

The ramair place above sells drop base air cleaners parts, to give more room under hood.
When I had a steel hood, I cut out some of the underhood brackets to make room for a taller air cleaner.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013 - 09:25:41 PM »
Can the A/C pump be removed without needing to drain the cooling system?

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013 - 03:50:41 AM »
Can the A/C pump be removed without needing to drain the cooling system?

Yes, not an A/C expert, but they are different systems, one freon, one coolant.
Freon for cold air, and coolant for hot air.
Good question, though! Had to think about that for a minute or two.

A service manual for your car is invaluable.  Breaks down every system, and how to work on it!

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013 - 04:50:51 AM »

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013 - 08:49:17 AM »
Yes, not an A/C expert, but they are different systems, one freon, one coolant.
Freon for cold air, and coolant for hot air.
Good question, though! Had to think about that for a minute or two.

A service manual for your car is invaluable.  Breaks down every system, and how to work on it!

Careful how you read this. Refrigerant is quite often called coolant and the a/c  lines need to be disconnected
to remove the a/c compressor. Freon (if any in the system) will be discharged into the air which is illegal and unsafe.
Then you need to remove or cap off the lines and the rest of the system to prevent it from getting contaminated.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013 - 12:08:14 PM »
Careful how you read this. Refrigerant is quite often called coolant and the a/c  lines need to be disconnected
to remove the a/c compressor. Freon (if any in the system) will be discharged into the air which is illegal and unsafe.
Then you need to remove or cap off the lines and the rest of the system to prevent it from getting contaminated.

Sorry the A/C system is dry. It has been for years. I have removed a number of the hoses but I need to remove the pump. But I wast thinking aren't there bolts that run into the water jackets of the block? Maybe not. But then I would for sure need to find another way to bracket the alt.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013 - 04:33:42 PM »
I can't be sure but if any of the A/C pump bolts go into the water pump area it will probably leak coolant, you will probably need a whole new pulley set to as you will not be able to run the bellys on the A/C pump anymore

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013 - 06:02:17 PM »
I can't be sure but if any of the A/C pump bolts go into the water pump area it will probably leak coolant, you will probably need a whole new pulley set to as you will not be able to run the bellys on the A/C pump anymore

I have been running the car without the belts on the A/C pump so I think I am good but I am pretty sure I will need a replacement alt. Bracket. I was worried about the A/C bracket bolts going into the pump. I have drained this car enough for a whole I think I will just drive it for a spell and come back to that project.