Author Topic: Carb Help for a Newb  (Read 1181 times)

Offline 71Cuda-383

Carb Help for a Newb
« on: May 15, 2013 - 09:48:19 PM »
I have a 71 Cuda with a 383, four barrel Edlebrock that runs rich at idle and 'stumbles'..... Where do I start? Any advice/suggestions /points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!  :clueless:
Girls may not be as strong as guys, but I drive the 'Cuda, not carry it !

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
Re: Carb Help for a Newb
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013 - 10:17:35 PM »
soundls like accelerator pump adjustment also if running rich this may cause a stumble. I will need to re-adjust mine also it falls out every once and a while. Idles to high , runs rich just have to back everything down a bit.

Edelbrock Carburetors - Troubleshooting - Hesitation and Stumbling

many vids on the side should be a dvd that came with the carb on proper adjustments.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013 - 10:21:05 PM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013 - 10:28:40 PM »
Does it just smell rich or are the plugs dark brown to black , a long duration cam will make any engine seem rich at idle & Edelbrock carbs are always set too lean , the stumble could be in th eaccerater pump as suggested or it could be in the timing , you need approx 12-16 * at idle & 36* total advance , I suggest either disconnecting the vacuum advance or severly limiting it using an allen wrench in the hole the vacuum line connects onto & turning it most of the way out counterclockwise , this may take care of the stumble alone

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71Cuda-383

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013 - 08:00:34 PM »
Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I will try and give them a go tomorrow or Sunday. I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Madmaxx

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013 - 09:01:56 PM »
even tho i'm not a big fan of the edel's i have one on my cuda...they are very ez to tune even for a novice...buy a $30-40 kit with rods and jets for your carb..pull the plugs look at them and tune accordingly..i thought my was idling rich..pulled the plugs and they looked new..way to lean..so i pulled the jets and rods that were in there and used the chart i jetted up 2 sizes and got lucky it has no hesitation and runs really good!..even my exhaust sounds different (better)......you can pull the metering rods out first with the screw down covers just loosen and swing around..pull out the rods and springs..read the numbers to figure out what you have..jets are in the bottom of the bowls..brass cant miss them ,you just pop the top cover off (after removing the screws)..remove accel.pump linkage and one other linkage and you can lay it over out of the way..it pretty easy really!..i'm not really very good at tuning but it didnt take much time...good luck!!

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013 - 07:51:55 AM »
even tho i'm not a big fan of the edel's i have one on my cuda...they are very ez to tune even for a novice...buy a $30-40 kit with rods and jets for your carb..pull the plugs look at them and tune accordingly..i thought my was idling rich..pulled the plugs and they looked new..way to lean..so i pulled the jets and rods that were in there and used the chart i jetted up 2 sizes and got lucky it has no hesitation and runs really good!..even my exhaust sounds different (better)......you can pull the metering rods out first with the screw down covers just loosen and swing around..pull out the rods and springs..read the numbers to figure out what you have..jets are in the bottom of the bowls..brass cant miss them ,you just pop the top cover off (after removing the screws)..remove accel.pump linkage and one other linkage and you can lay it over out of the way..it pretty easy really!..i'm not really very good at tuning but it didnt take much time...good luck!!

I picked up an AFR meter from summit for about $155. Very precise for tuning, and no need to look at plugs.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Madmaxx

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013 - 05:04:57 PM »
yup thats the way to go!!..i should buy one too...

Offline 71Cuda-383

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013 - 07:35:10 AM »
Turned the idle screws and took her out for a run. Stumbled a little and actually backfired once so stopped and turned them a little more. Hit some paved country roads and let her run and was better but still a little hesitant at times. Pulled over and turned them another quarter turn and was much better. Had to put it away for the week but may try turning them again when we take her out and go from there. We`ll see what happens. Thanks again for the tips. I was hesitant about messing with it but I see now that it`s not as complicated as it seems, and that it can always be put back. 8) You guys have been a great help - many thanks !    :worshippy