Author Topic: 833 4 spd slips from 4 gear to neutral when letting off gas  (Read 2653 times)

Offline garycuda

:working:On my 1970 AAR Cuda the shift lever move from 4 gear into neutral when letting off gas. It does this some of the time. I have tried adjusting the shifting rods and if I move them to much then 3 gear slips out. The rods and levers on the trans are new. This pass week I put in the 4 speed trans from my 1970 Challenger that I am restoring. The 4 gear will still slip into neutral. The 70 Cuda was not a complete car when I bought it. The engine and trans where missing. I put a used T/A engine and a used 833 trans in it. The only thing I haven't tried is different Hurst shifter. Could this cause this problem. The Hurst shifter was bought on Ebay a few years back and was rebuild according to the seller. Thanks!

Offline Rich G

Re: 833 4 spd slips from 4 gear to neutral when letting off gas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013 - 04:39:31 PM »
Its probably in the trans. There is a cut out on the bottom of the shifter that you slide a pin in to lock the shifter in neutral then you can adj the linkage. Make sure the shifter stops on the end of the shifter is allowing you to get it all the way in gear. If all this is set right it time for a rebuild.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013 - 05:41:44 PM »
In 4th gear only I suspect the main shaft brgs are wron allow the input & main shaft to walk back & forth away from each other , the input shaft could also have badly worn teeth on the gear

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013 - 06:05:28 PM »
Yep :iagree: Transmission needs a rebuild.. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013 - 06:32:06 PM »
I had this same 4th-gear only problem, it was caused an out of alignment bellhousing.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013 - 07:18:12 PM »
On my 1970 AAR Cuda the shift lever move from 4 gear into neutral when letting off gas.

This pass week I put in the 4 speed trans from my 1970 Challenger that I am restoring. The 4 gear will still slip into neutral.

The only thing I haven't tried is different Hurst shifter.

Guys, he apparently has the same problem with two separate transmissions - so the logical assumption would be that it probably isn't something internal to the transmissions. I would go with Rich's suggestion and make sure you have the shifter adjusted correctly by making the adjustments with the neutral alignment pin in place and then checking the shifter stop-bolt adjustments with the transmission in gear. Check out this link to the Hurst website and scroll down to the "how to adust my shifter linkage" question http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=15
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline garycuda

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013 - 07:44:46 PM »
Thanks Rzerob.   I have put the alignment pin in the 1+2 and 3+4 levers but it will not go into the reverse lever. There are no adjusting bolts or holes in the body to  install them in either shifter. I have seen pictures of shifters with bolts coming out of the front and rear of the shifter. But my don't have them.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013 - 08:13:40 PM »
Thanks Rzerob.   I have put the alignment pin in the 1+2 and 3+4 levers but it will not go into the reverse lever. There are no adjusting bolts or holes in the body to  install them in either shifter. I have seen pictures of shifters with bolts coming out of the front and rear of the shifter. But my don't have them.

Those bolts are to prevent the shifter from over-shifting the trans, moving the levers too far when power shifting.  That wouldn't cause this problem. 

The alignment pin should go through reverse also.

Offline garycuda

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013 - 08:23:54 PM »
I may have take this shifter apart to see why the alignment pin will not go into the reverse lever.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013 - 09:22:16 PM »
I may have take this shifter apart to see why the alignment pin will not go into the reverse lever.

Have you disconected the reverse rod, then tried installing the pin?

Offline garycuda

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013 - 09:45:14 PM »
If I remember right,  there is no hole for the pin to go into. If there is a hole, it may be too high or low. I will check on Monday.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013 - 10:41:53 PM »
definatly could be the behousing alignment if it does it with 2 different transmissions

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline garycuda

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013 - 07:31:40 PM »
I check the bell housing and that looks fine. I would think if that was misaligned, you would have other problems too. I removed and reinstalled the rods, but I moved them down to the second hole near the lever installing nut. This would give the rods more travel. I have driven  the Cuda two times of about 10 miles each and it  does not jump out of gear. I will have to do some more road tests to make sure. Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013 - 02:12:00 PM »
Rear transmission mount moving under deceleration and possibly deflecting the 3-4 shift lever enough to move it out of gear???????????????????????????? perhaps. Bent shift lever???? One way to test to see if it is in gear properly is to put it in gear then remove the shift lever and see if you can push the selector lever on the gear box any further into gear.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline garycuda

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013 - 11:27:32 AM »
On the trans slipping out of 4th gear. I put extra reverse lever [ which I had laying around ] in place of the 4th gear lever. This shorter lever allows more rod travel and after driving the Cuda a number of times has not jump out of gear. Thanks for the help.