Author Topic: Needing some help/advice  (Read 1702 times)

Offline t1971Chally

Needing some help/advice
« on: May 21, 2013 - 09:28:43 PM »
Hello all,

Well after searching on this site for a few days, I gathered up the courage to tackle my leaking rear main seal.  I checked all the normal stuff like valve covers, oil sending unit, intake to ensure it was the rear main seal.  I removed the dust cover on the trans and found oil on the inside.  So today I removed everything and got the seal out.  After inspecting it I think it is pretty obvious as to why it was leaking see pic 1 and the large quarter inch gap at the top where the seal is missing.  So, I purchased the billet rear main seal kit from Mancini racing and I am ready to install it.  I wanted to ask some questions though to be sure I understand how to do it.   

1.  When I install the top half of the seal.  Do I put sealant on the back of the seal as I am inserting it?  Do I try to work some sealant into the seal groove in the top half of the engine where the seal goes prior to putting the seal in?
2.  Same questions above for the lower half....the billet.  Do I fill the groove with sealant or just put it on the back of the seal? 
3.  Do I apply sealant to the outside edges of the billet and engine mounting surfaces prior to installing it?
4.  For the side seals (2 on each side), Do I fill them with sealant as well prior to installing the billet piece?
5.  What type of sealand should I use?
6.  Finally, when I removed my oil pan I wasnt sure if there was a windage tray.  I have posted a pic of the oil pan.  Is the internal pan in this oil pan suppose to be the windage tray?  If not, I need to buy one...any suggestions?

Guys, I want to thank each of you.  This web site is just totally awesome and full of information that is at the touch of a button.  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks...

Ted

Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Needing some help/advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013 - 09:39:09 PM »
no sealnt behind the seal 1/2
 the side are tha hard part to seal up , if you are lucky your seal kit has the fiber side seals use sealer on the side of the cap , if youhave the one with pipe cleaners WTF is that for ??  you need to put sealer around the bolt holes between the cap & block as well , I always run a bead of sealer into the 90 * corner between the block & sides of the seal plate  , you have to use a long narrow screwdriver to get the sealer in there but it is a good secondary protection against leaks .
I use right stuff sealer expensive but better than doing the job twice , the baffles in the pan are slosh baffles , I would add the windage tray , mopar sells the tray with gaskets for less than the tray alone will cost , check with Mancini

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013 - 05:45:11 AM »
Chryco,

Thanks for the help! Just want to make sure I understand plus I have a couple of additional questions:

1.  No sealant behind the half seals
2.  Sealant on the sides of the cap where the side seals are installed
3.  Sealant around the bolt holes between cap and block
4.  Sealant into the 90 degree corner between block and sides of the seal plate

I ordered the windage tray, thanks for clarifying that.

Additional questions:
1.  What is the torque value for the two bolts that hold the cap in place?
2.  What is the torque value for the oil pan bolts?
3.  What is the torque value for the nuts that connect the center link?

Thanks again for the help!

Ted
Ted

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013 - 06:13:09 AM »
1-  25 ft.lb
2-  200 in.lbs
3-  40 ft.lb + cotterpins
*** Bart ***

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013 - 07:28:32 PM »
Guys,

First of all, thanks for the help and information!  I have been able to reinstall the new seal and I am now ready to put everything back together.  However, I need some help.....I had to order a windage tray because my engine did not have one.  I tried to put it on but it will not go over the oil pickup.  So, how do I get the oil pickup off so that I can get the windage tray on? 

Again, thanks for the help!

Ted
Ted

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013 - 10:35:11 PM »
First I would twist & bend the tray a little , it should go over the pick up .
 If you have to remove the pick up tube it unthreads , put some thread sealer ,  tape or liquid on the threads

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013 - 06:58:52 PM »
Chryco, Dutch,

Thanks for all the help!  Good news is I got it all back together!  Started to take it for a drive, peaked under the car and big leak....worse than before..... :stomp: :banghead:

So, back to the drawing board!  Can the Mancini kit (seals) be reused if I remove it?  Any suggestions? :dunno:  May try to tackle it tomorrow.....right now I am a little to frustrated to mess with it. 

Ted
Ted

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013 - 09:31:29 PM »
Ugg , yes the side strips can generally be reused , they can be tough to get sealed up

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013 - 10:15:53 PM »
Chryco,

Well I pulled the Rear Main Seal (AGAIN) over the weekend.  Clean up aluminum lower seal housing, carefully removed the old sealant, installed new rear main seal staggered, applied a sufficient amount of "The Right Stuff" to the sides, tops, around the bolt holes, and the ends of the main seal.  Let it set up for 2 days (I know excessive), put the windage tray and oil pan on, filled with oil and tested it.   So far NO LEAK!!!!   WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Going to test drive it tomorrow and see what happens.  Man I hope it does not start leaking.......

Thanks for all the help!

Twiles
Ted

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013 - 08:22:28 AM »
 :2thumbs:
 I hope it works out .
 I was called in by a shop to do this job on a customer car they provided me a hoist to work on in the shop , they had tackled it 3 times & it leaked everytime , I got it first try & the shop was ecstatic .
The customer was a barely known person , Calgary Flames Goalie  Miikka Kiprusoff  he has a black 67 Coronet  440 auto !!

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013 - 05:52:14 PM »
Chryco,

Just went for two test drives.  After completing the first one it appeared to be leaking again however not bad.  So I crawled under the car and could not see any definate leaks.  So I started thinking maybe the oil I was seeing was residual still in the bell from the previous attempt to seal it.  So I cleaned out the bell area of the transmission with some degreaser, rinsed with a little water.  Took it for a second drive and so far no leaks.......

I am going to let it set over night and see if I get any drops on the floor .....hopefully it does not leak.

I appreciate your help!  BTW, if I ever get a chance to come to Panama I am looking you and your wife up.  I was checking out your website and that place looks awesome! 

Thanks again...

Ted
Ted

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013 - 05:53:45 PM »
BTW, that is a cool story about working on Miikka Kiprusoffs' car.  Nice memory to have.....I am assuming the car was perfect.

Ted
Ted

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013 - 10:51:46 PM »
I hope you got it solved , they are a pain . I once did a rear main 5 times & it still leaked traced it back to the oil sender at the top of the motor live & learn .
 Drop by next time you are in the neighborhood , it is Awesome here !!
 neil

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013 - 07:26:40 PM »
Neil,

Took it for test drive.....brought it back no leaks.  So it is done.......

Thanks again for the help....

Keep posting some pics on your website.  I am really enjoying them.

Ted
Ted