Author Topic: Anybody converting to Fuel Injection  (Read 1938 times)

Offline bigblue73

Anybody converting to Fuel Injection
« on: May 22, 2013 - 03:34:41 PM »
I've had it with this crap - this so called gasoline that a chain saw won't even run on.  Just ran a full tank though my car over the past week and half with not to stellar results.  The car will barely idle at all and is just a dog off this line.  I pulled the filter thinking I had some chunks that made it through.  The filter was clean and the engine is getting plenty of fuel.  Checked the timing and everything is right on: so last night I went and bought 5 gallons of Turbo Blue and blended it with 5 gallons of 94 octane Phillips 66 and now it runs like a champ.  It could be bad gas or the gross amount of ethanol that they are blending in the gas - it's pushed me over the edge to convert to fuel injection.  I've been in a truck with the FAST EZ-EFI and it flat out works.  Has anyone done the MSD Atomic EFI yet?  What are your thoughts?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Anybody converting to Fuel Injection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013 - 06:25:40 PM »
My car runs terrible on ethanol fuel, night and day difference on no ethanol . I've been toying with the idea of FI  but don't have the budget at this time.   
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013 - 01:27:07 AM »
I did a RR with EFI , bought parts from numerous companies , it accidently started while testing it LOL .
I used 1200 cfm T body , victor intake with rails , 80lb / hr injectors & made 702 gross hp with a 440

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013 - 01:54:02 PM »
Plan on spending just north of $4000 to have true port injection EFI not the throttle body version. I have looked at many vendors and a multiple vendor setup like CP did for that guy in Calgary with the RR. Still comes out just over $4000.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013 - 08:47:17 AM »
if you are spending the $$ anyway I would go to multiport / dry intake , Fast or any Tbody injection just dumps the fuel into the intake same as a carb & the intake can have a dramatic effect on not having equal fuel distribution to each cylinder .

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013 - 09:49:11 AM »
Fatman has a dry set-up where the conversion is done to the intake to make it dry and runs the Fast EZ-EFI with a fast 1375 CFM throttle body.  I think it's the Multi-Port EFI Small block Chevy kit adapted to the Mopar intake.  I'm close to having the cash to do this.  My car ran okay this past weekend but I'm still running a mix of race gas and 94 Octane from Philips 66 with no ethanol.  This ethanol is just tearing stuff up here in Missouri.  Our normal gas has a real funny odor to it now with the "Summer Blending".

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013 - 11:08:46 AM »
My approach was this , Eddy has the Victor intake predrilled with rails for $400 or so , it is a tall intake so I combined that with an Accufab Throttle body as they are not even 2" tall around $700  with this it fit under a 68 RR hood with a 3" drop base A/C & filter top .  I used 80 lb / hr bosch injectors $100 each , , An SDSEFI computer which has its own controller , no laptop needed to tune it $1400 , an MSD / Bosch fuel regulator $100, 2 inline Walbro fuel pumps 220 lt / hr $150 each , & ran 3 -3/8" fuel lines front to rear using steel tube  , two fed fuel forward one to each fuel rail  & one return . I used Zero AN fittings , instead I used steel JIC & ethanol resistant line to couple to the rails to allow engine movement , total coast was maybe $40 for hose , compression & JIC fittings combined . I had to have the damper machined to install magnets @ exactly 90* for crank positioning it really doesn't matter where as the computer can be adjusted so it will read tdc from any start point , I had to fabricate a bracket for the crank sensor on the side of the timing cover & thread a port for the temp sensor in the water pump housing . This system made 702 gross hp on a Mustang dyno with a non stroked 440 using a race roller cam Victor heads & 2" headers & 2.5 " exhaust but idles in traffic as if it was stock as it fires every cylinder everytime  :2thumbs:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013 - 08:06:56 AM »
I've had it with this crap - this so called gasoline that a chain saw won't even run on.
  Has anyone done the MSD Atomic EFI yet?  What are your thoughts?

If you have bad gas, EFI wont help anything.

I would stay away from the MSD unit, since all of the electronics are in the throttle body, right where all of the heat goes when off!
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013 - 10:44:18 AM »
Agreed.  Good advise with the electronics, although I haven't read of any failures.