Author Topic: Keeping plug wires organized?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline RCCDrew

Keeping plug wires organized?
« on: May 28, 2013 - 10:31:29 PM »
What's the best way to keep my spark plug wires organized? I have a 340 with headers and cast valve covers. Anyone have pics of their set up?

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: Keeping plug wires organized?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013 - 11:08:02 PM »
What's the best way to keep my spark plug wires organized? I have a 340 with headers and cast valve covers. Anyone have pics of their set up?

No picture, and I have a 440 block, but I think its best to keep them out of sight for a clean look.
Also, I found it best to just buy the wire from MSD, and custom cut it to the best length
for each plug.

Also, I have them come up from below the headers, so they can be kept from touching the headers.
Also, when you custom cut them, you can select angled or strait plug caps to keep the wires from
the headers.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013 - 08:24:22 AM »
You can get cheap wire looms that will bolt onto the valve cover bolts & hold the wires out of the way , custom making the wires sure helps too having no extra length

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013 - 06:07:07 PM »
Have a particular loom in mind?

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013 - 07:22:14 AM »
I custom cut mine to good lengths that worked for me. I also have heat shield socks over the boots to keep them from burning up so close to the headers. As far as organizing I went the cheap route. I get black zip ties and put it around width way 4 wires. Then ill put zip ties longways around the first zip tie and in between each wire. If you do it right it really cleans up nicely. I actually stole the idea from NASCAR believe it or not. It might be kind of hard to understand ill post a picture when I can if you're interested

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013 - 07:26:11 AM »
 you can kinda see here

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013 - 08:02:56 AM »
I bought a cheap set of plastic ones that get the job done. Someday I will buy proper metal ones...
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013 - 02:14:59 PM »
I custom cut mine to good lengths that worked for me. I also have heat shield socks over the boots to keep them from burning up so close to the headers. As far as organizing I went the cheap route. I get black zip ties and put it around width way 4 wires. Then ill put zip ties longways around the first zip tie and in between each wire. If you do it right it really cleans up nicely. I actually stole the idea from NASCAR believe it or not. It might be kind of hard to understand ill post a picture when I can if you're interested
That's an interesting idea. Never seen that before.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013 - 03:58:29 PM »
When you size the wires, do you need a special tool to crimp the new boot on?  I need to do this on both cars . . . .

Where can you get the boots?   :dunno:

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013 - 04:38:30 PM »
Good question. Which crimping tool is the best?

Offline Tonker1

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013 - 09:53:01 PM »
I did this to my MSD 8mm wires about 6 months back and used a combination of straight and 90 degree elbow boots depending on header clearance.

You can get the boots and terminals from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/spark-plug-wire-components?keyword=spark%20plug%20wire%20boots

For the crimping tool that depends on the type of terminal. The MSD spark plug terminals where more than my crimp could handle so I used pliers to get the terminal ends into position and then put a nail punch in my vice with the terminal on the end and slowly wound it in for a tight fitting head.

This how I went about changing the plug ends:
If all of your wires are quite a bit too long the job is quite easy, simply cut of the old boots, take the insulator back a bit and crimp on the new terminals.

If however not all your wires have spare length and the boot needs to changed, don't try just pull the boot off. On my MSD wires even after heating the boot it was too stiff and I ended up snapping the wire inside the insulation. I had to order some more wires. 2nd time around I put the plug in my vice and cut the head off with a dremel, much neater.

Getting straight boots on is simple, just push them on. 90 degree elbow boots are a bit harder because you have to line up the boot end and the terminal head. I found the terminal tended to rotate slightly while going in. Greasing the wire before you put the boots on is much easier, you can rotate and adjust the position of the terminal with ease.

Hope this helps

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013 - 04:08:05 AM »
I did this to my MSD 8mm wires about 6 months back and used a combination of straight and 90 degree elbow boots depending on header clearance.

You can get the boots and terminals from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/spark-plug-wire-components?keyword=spark%20plug%20wire%20boots

For the crimping tool that depends on the type of terminal. The MSD spark plug terminals where more than my crimp could handle so I used pliers to get the terminal ends into position and then put a nail punch in my vice with the terminal on the end and slowly wound it in for a tight fitting head.

This how I went about changing the plug ends:
If all of your wires are quite a bit too long the job is quite easy, simply cut of the old boots, take the insulator back a bit and crimp on the new terminals.

If however not all your wires have spare length and the boot needs to changed, don't try just pull the boot off. On my MSD wires even after heating the boot it was too stiff and I ended up snapping the wire inside the insulation. I had to order some more wires. 2nd time around I put the plug in my vice and cut the head off with a dremel, much neater.

Getting straight boots on is simple, just push them on. 90 degree elbow boots are a bit harder because you have to line up the boot end and the terminal head. I found the terminal tended to rotate slightly while going in. Greasing the wire before you put the boots on is much easier, you can rotate and adjust the position of the terminal with ease.

Hope this helps

Ya, I did about the same. What a "fun" learning experience!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000