Author Topic: Would you be ticked?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Would you be ticked?
« on: May 30, 2013 - 06:54:27 PM »
So a few weeks ago I was a local cruise and ran into this guy I had seen before a time or two....a real nice 69 (?) Dart.

We had talked only once before, but you know how us Mopar people are...one chat about Mopars and you are friends for life. LOL

Anyways, during a conversation with him and another guy, he mentions to me that he has a used SSBC rear brake system for sale on craigslist.

Seeing as I was about to swap my housing anyways, I was interested. When he told me the price I was more interested. $200. The kit sells for about $450 brand new. His kit was "3 years old or so but lightly used" and "complete - everything you will need to do the install!" Then he said "In fact, as part of the deal I will press on the new bearings for you...."

Turns out he is an instructor for a local auto mechanics school.

Anyways, I tell him I will think on it. After finding his ad, (which was out there for a few weeks with no bites I might add) I called to let him know that I was interested but first I wanted to see how hard it would be to get parts later down the line if needed. "Everything you need is in the box." I said I wanted to see how hard it was to find replacement pads, rotors etc since he said he "THINKS" it was an SSBC kit but wasnt sure. (He did not buy it...it came on his car, a fresh build when he bought it 3 years back.)

So anyways I found the info I needed and decided I would buy the kit and gamble that the parts lasted a few years at least.

I didnt haggle on price AT ALL, since it was "a complete kit"....exactly how it came off my car." Complete and free bearing press (although it turns out I had to drive to him, some 50 miles round trip, so not so free).....

I met him on his turf at work and he made me feel like he only had a moment so I basically just handed him the $200...and my new bearings and axles. He told me a day, two at most to press the bearings on and he would call me. 4 days later he finally had the axles done after I texted and asked him if he had done them yet....I was trying to do this swap over the long holiday weekend. He said he would do them that night (friday). I met him that night , got my axles and we chatted...again we talked about how everything I needed was in the box and it should take just a couple hours to convert. We parted.

During the install the next day I found the kit was missing 4 caliper mounting bolts, two adapters for the brake line-to-hoses and (the biggest hit) one of the special banjo bolts with bleeder built in which I could find no where. These missing pieces mean the kit is USELESS without.

(I know, same on me for not inventorying before I left him my money and for not doing so at least before starting the install.)

I called him at 1 pm that day and explained and he said he would check his stash at work, but he couldn't do that for a few days (holiday weekend). But that he would call me tuesday evening and let me know. He never called.

Disappointed I was, because now I just lost three days of worktime on the car.

Long story short I tracked down most the parts myself over the next 5 days (car is out of commish this whole time) except the banjo bleeder deal.

He had not gotten back to me so I texted him asking him if he found the parts on thursday morning.

"Sorry, no. Try NAPA." he replied.

So I texted back and suggested that since he had promised the box was complete, that I might be due some of the $38 in parts I have had to buy so far. I was very nice about it.

He said he was sorry for my frustration, but simply put the kit back in the box , pay him $65 for the labor he put into pressing the bearings on and he would refund my $200 and we can part ways.

I texted back a message telling him I think that attitude sucks and that I never got hosed by a Mopar guy before but I guess there is always the first time. I reiterated how he kept saying the kit was "complete" and wasnt.

No reply yet.

I had to order the banjo bleeder thru summit and they wont have it for 2 weeks they say. I did contact SSBC directly and they may be able to provide one for me sooner.

Am I wrong to be ticked that he is basically saying "f you" ?

Offline Barracudadan

Re: Would you be ticked?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013 - 07:34:19 PM »
Yeah I would be a little PO`d, but buying 2`nd hand does come with a certain amount of risk. I bought a 360 with a bad piston turns out the whole thing was junk,the seller wasnt dishonest with me but it sucked just the same. All you can do is salvage what you bought and make it work if possible. Unless you are 100% sure those 2`nd hand deals always end up costing more in the long run!

If you want to bust this guys cookies ask him how much of that $65 does he give to the school since he is using their equipment for personal use? I`m sure the school would frown upon this activity. He probably had a student do the job as well. I would be willing to bet he didn`t even get his hands dirty!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 - 07:36:19 PM by Barracudadan »

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013 - 08:21:37 PM »
You have every right to be upset. He mis-represented himself by saying the kit was complete and as such should make good on the offer. Seems he tried to make you feel bad for complaining because you got a deal, but a deal is a deal and the package wasn't what he offered. His bad not yours. It's taken a lot of work on your part that should not have been necessary had he simply gone and done an inventory check before he sold it.

I couldn't do that to someone. I once had a customer return a very expensive antique reproduction telescope to my shop that was broken. It wasn't when he bought it. Because I valued him as a customer (he was a regular), I replaced it even though I knew it wasn't damaged when it left the shop. He took it home on a Harley and I think the vibration broke a lense. I could have stood my ground, but would have lost a valued cutomer & friend. Some people have NO values!  :swear:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013 - 09:11:00 PM »
You just have to realize that some people lack integrity and let it go.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013 - 09:46:46 PM »
I just recently got burned on selling a new battery to a guy. One of my accounts.

Told him: I'll replace your battery right now and install for free and even up grade to a higher amp hours/longer warranty unit. "However if your battery after being charged for 2 days, cleaned, hydrometer tested comes back 100%; then you get no partial credit back."

He agreed.
Then 3 days later, I called him. His old battery was perfectly fine and re interated our past conversation. He pissed & moaned how I was taking advantage of him yaddi yaddi. My boss even tried to reason with him knowing what I explained. So he ended up getting a free upgraded battery.

Lesson learned: Put it in writing before shaking hands on the deal.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Gumby

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013 - 10:48:48 PM »
I recently bought a Pinion Snubber Re-inforcement plate, factory correct. I won't mention the name of the seller, because he did not lie about it, as far as I could tell. From the picture, it looked like a good sized piece that would help re-distribute the snubber load. When I recieved it, it was MAYBE 3" x 4" POS that was MAYBE 1/8" thick. A tin shingle would have been better. $65.00 I have never felt so dejected after buying a part in my life. A complete waste of time and a total ripoff. I will NEVER, EVER buy a part from this highly well known person again. But he did not lie, to my knowledge, and I did not ask question him before hand. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND MAKE ONE OUT OF SCRAP. I guess some people can sleep ok at night. I wouldn't be able to.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013 - 01:34:11 AM »
This may be an unfair characterization, but I've noticed far more problems with the "Mopar" crowd as the price of Mopars skyrocketed a few years back. I think a lot of folks who would never have given Mopars a second thought prior to this decided that they could make money on them, and next thing you know there were a lot more asses in the group.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013 - 12:08:15 PM »

Next time pay the guy with paypal and use a credit card.

Then you have all the leverage in the world and he cannot do anything about it.

:money:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013 - 12:36:45 PM »
Do we need to assemble the CC.Com mafia and go after his guy?    :grinyes:  :cheers:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline getslideways

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013 - 01:57:48 PM »
Honestly, as much as it sucks, it doesnt sound like the guy was out to screw you.  If he was he would have met you in a shady parking lot with no way to recontact him or future accountability.  He met you at his work, so you knew where to find him.  Usually people who are knowingly trying to screw people, dont provide their home or work address, for fear of a rock coming through their front window once the buyer realizes they have been had.  It sounds like an honest mistake.

I also dont think grumbling about the distance you had to drive to have the bearing pressed is his fault.  Was he supposed to come pick it up and then re-hand deliver it? That seems like you might be expecting a bit much if thats what you were anticipating.  His shop press is located where its located, so its not like he could bring the press to you.

At the end of the day, you got bearings pressed and a $450 kit for $238 ($200 + the $38 in extra needed parts), as with any low priced used part sale, buyer beware.  He probably feels like "i already pressed the bearings in for you as a favor, I am trying to be a nice guy, and now you are complaining about $30 bucks in hardware on a kit thats already discounted $250??" where you are seeing it as "it was sold to me as this, so thats what I should get".  I think its easy to see both points of view.

I don't get the impression he was trying to screw you, I think he just reached a point where he could no longer help.  I always remind myself, "is the deal worth it if something in the kit fails to work".  Treat every transaction like you will never see the guy again.  Sometimes its just better to buy new, as a private party is not a store, they do not have inventory, real accountability, refunds or warranties.

If someone outright lies to me (example i bought some wheels that i were told "just came off a 72 challenger"....they ended up being the totally wrong bolt pattern, the guy obviously lied), i have a problem with that, even though in that example i gave, i still should have double checked.  If there is an honest mistake (example: full set of valve cover bolts that ends up being one short) that could have been prevented if i took the time to investigate a little further, so its pretty much on me.

Part of the savings in buying used parts is that you are taking on some risk in exchange for a lower price.

I personally feel very sympathetic for your situation, as I have been there too on more than one occasion.  I hope it all gets worked out.  All you can do is maintain your integrity the next time you are in the "seller" position, and help keep Mopar enthusiasts in a good light.  I know i try my very hardest to be as honest and work as hard as possible to be fair when dealing with others.  Karma is a b!tch, and I would never want to tarnish my own name or reputation over a few dollars, as in the end, all you really have is your word, and your actions.

Again, I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you had to face with all of this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 - 02:05:50 PM by getslideways »

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013 - 02:18:42 PM »
In the end , all a "real man" has is his word. If the kit was short on parts that he said were there, yes he should
deduct the cost from the final price or get the parts for you. It's not like he was "flipping" the parts. He has no investment in them.
As quick as axle bearings can be changed, I'm suprised that he didn't do them while you waited. Not to mention
that as a side job 65 bucks is gouging. I can change a pair of 8 3/4 axle bearings in about 20 minutes. So
yes, I think you have a right to be po'ed.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013 - 02:48:39 PM »
I agree with getslideways, I don't think it was a deliberate screwing. You got a $450 kit for $238, plus bearings and gas. Still a deal. I almost never have seen any sort of guarantee on used parts, especially take offs from a private party. That is the inherent risk of used parts. You still got what you wanted and saved $212 in the process.  Let it go, move on.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013 - 06:39:04 PM »
I too am in the opinion of just let it go , used parts often have small stuff missing , you still got a good deal even though I tried to show u better options .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013 - 06:40:24 PM »
Oh I have moved on more or less....but just want to point out that I am NOT getting a $450 kit for $238 as a couple folks have talked about.

I got a 3-5 year old kit with 3-5 year old rotors and pads. NOT a brand new kit, for $238 plus bearings and gas...and TIME...lots of TIME.

So I didnt save $212 on a new kit.  I simply didnt spend another $212 to get a new kit.

There is a difference.

I see folks criticized all the time in for sale forums for trying to get new prices out of used parts.

So what IS the value of 3-5 year brake kit?  whatever the buyer will pay I guess, right?

I thought $200 COMPLETE was fair so I never even tried to counter offer.

COMPLETE being the operate word. What I got was a good opportunity for a used kit, saving some money over new.

A common bolt ? No problem. 

A part that apparantly is ONLY available thru the manufacturer? PROBLEM.

Had I known I would have all this hassle and trouble and added expense to track down these (hard to find) parts I would have passed and waited or sprung for a new kit.

My time is worth something to me too.

The car has been on jacks for a week and wont be moving til I get the parts.

yeah, great deal.  LOL

I dont think he was out to screw me either but I do think he got sloppy at my expense and downright rude when I asked him to fix his mistake.

The good news is that I finally got through to SSBC and they are sending me out the part FREE! I offered left and right to pay and they refused.

Go figure.

I disagree with the idea of "treat each transaction like you will never see the guy again".

I always try to treat the transaction like I will see him the next day, week, whatever.

But I guess that concept is out of style.

Screw the other guy when you make a mistake.

I may be naive, and you may think I am whining about $30.

But I am whining about the principle of it.

I have bought parts from a bunch of folks here and only once or twice was there a glitch, and that person made it right, no questions asked.  Same way that I would do it.

Anyways, I just want to get my car back on the road, and a small part that the guy lost is holding that up...so yes I am steamed.

I just got a card in the mail from summit saying the part I ordered from THEM is expected to ship on 6/28.

SO hopefully the one from SSBC gets here first and is correct.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013 - 06:42:44 PM »
I too am in the opinion of just let it go , used parts often have small stuff missing , you still got a good deal even though I tried to show u better options .

CP<, I looked at the scarebird option and it was as expensive as the new SSBC kit by the time you buy the calipers, mounts, hardware and pads and such. Plus the scarebird site said that the rotors would have to be machined and I am not set up for that. And I wasnt in the mood to try to find USED calipers, mounts and rotors for that setup.