Author Topic: Would you be ticked?  (Read 3060 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Would you be ticked?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013 - 07:00:16 PM »
If the guy hadn't said, "Everything you need is in the box." I would be more sympathetic towards him, but he didn't give you what he represented to you. Sure, it doesn't sound like it was deliberate, but does it matter? Either way you didn't get what you paid for. Bottom line....he messed up and should have made it right. It's not even about the money (good deal/bad deal). I believe in the golden rule...Treat others like you yourself would like to be treated!!  :bigsmile: I'm glad SSBC came thru for you & I hope you get it going soon!!  :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline getslideways

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013 - 08:56:15 PM »

I disagree with the idea of "treat each transaction like you will never see the guy again".

I always try to treat the transaction like I will see him the next day, week, whatever.

But I guess that concept is out of style.

I think you have misinterpreted what I meant. I was implying that as a buyer it is important to do all your homework and due diligence at the time of the sale and not count on the fact that the seller will be available or reachable down the road. Hence "treat it as if you will never see them again". This is to protect you, not mistreat someone else.

For example if I were buying wheels and the guy showed up with three and said "I could only fit three in my car lets meet up tomorrow and I will give you the forth". I would say, "I cannot pay you until I have ALL four wheels, just in case something were to happen to you, like an accident, and I never heard from you again". So rather than "take his word" and HOPE he shows up the following day, I would treat it as if I were never going to see him again, and wait to pay him until I had the whole order.

I was NOT implying that as a seller you should trick, scam, and otherwise treat customers like crap based on the fact you most likely will not have to see them again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 - 09:01:48 PM by getslideways »

Offline challengerx

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013 - 10:31:27 PM »
If I sell something complete it means I take it off and you put it on, end of story in my opinion. I think you handled it and moved on and should be pissed, but I do hope you end up happy with it in the long run.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013 - 10:44:03 PM »
I agree do your homework and prepare that the other person might have a different perception than you.
So many times I have seen parts not perceived to whatr they actually are even from 5 star E bay sellers.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013 - 10:57:52 PM »
I understand the principle of it , but I also know how things work in the real world , unless people are very careful parts always seem to be lissing or broken , & yes this was a used system , Not sure why he removed it either , maybe he was not impressed with the operation or performance of it  :dunno:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013 - 07:35:07 AM »
I think you have misinterpreted what I meant. I was implying that as a buyer it is important to do all your homework and due diligence at the time of the sale and not count on the fact that the seller will be available or reachable down the road. Hence "treat it as if you will never see them again". This is to protect you, not mistreat someone else.

For example if I were buying wheels and the guy showed up with three and said "I could only fit three in my car lets meet up tomorrow and I will give you the forth". I would say, "I cannot pay you until I have ALL four wheels, just in case something were to happen to you, like an accident, and I never heard from you again". So rather than "take his word" and HOPE he shows up the following day, I would treat it as if I were never going to see him again, and wait to pay him until I had the whole order.

I was NOT implying that as a seller you should trick, scam, and otherwise treat customers like crap based on the fact you most likely will not have to see them again.

Gotcha!   Yeah, you are right, adn that is how I normally do things.

In fact, I did take over a week to make up my mind to buy the kit....using his photo on craigslist to confirm that all the parts I needed were there....I didnt take his word for it initially......I knew that the brake lines that usually come with the kit were missing, and I was fine with that. I knew that the axle housing studs and longer wheel studs that usually come with the kit were missing.  For those three parts, I spent an additional $75 or so.  But I was OK with that and knew it going in.     

When I showed up to buy the kit in person, like I said, we were at his work and he acted as though he was rushed.....foolishly I took his word (again) that everything was there......yes, i should have done as you say and acted like I would never see him again and dumped that box right there and checked.

It was my bad.

It was one of the few times I have gambled soley on someone's word.  It was a mopar guy's word. And I knew I would see him again anyways.

i just never expected him to be a douche.   LOL

In the end, I maybe saved $150 over buying the kit brand new versus used - less if any value is put on my time.   Had I known what I know now, I would have just bought Dr Diffs kit or the Summit kit and been done with it.  The car would have been on the road in a couple days versus over a week now.

Live and learn.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys.   I guess I just needed to check my moral compass a bit.....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013 - 07:37:29 AM »
I understand the principle of it , but I also know how things work in the real world , unless people are very careful parts always seem to be lissing or broken , & yes this was a used system , Not sure why he removed it either , maybe he was not impressed with the operation or performance of it  :dunno:

CP, I questioned that too .....he was swapping to wilwoods all the way around.

I figured for $200 (complete) it was a good gamble for me to try disks for a couple/few years and maybe swap to wilwoods all the way around later down the road....as you know thats a much bigger expense.

I was already ripping the back end apart and I was in the mood to experiment...LOL

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013 - 12:27:00 PM »
Well, todays mail came and went -- no parts from SSBC.

Guess its another week.     :swear: :pullinghair: :banghead:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013 - 11:30:28 AM »
Maybe if we slice it this way,

The kit cost $200, you bought $113 worth of parts to put into it to make it usable. You spent 1.5 hours driving around to acquire the parts, at $35 an hour, lets call that $53. Its difficult to calculate car down time since it is a pleasure vehicle, so we'll skip that. We also won't figure installation time since that would be required on any kit, new or used.  Since this was a used kit, lets depreciate it 10% annually, for a total cost of $135 for a three year old kit. Add depreciation to your costs so far and you total cost for this so far is $501.

At a new price of $450 plus shipping, lets say $25, total of $475, buying used has cost you an additional $26 plus down time on your car. Now, that isn't to say the new kit would have arrived perfectly complete, although odds are it would have. But, if, by chance, it was missing a single part, like the banjo bleeder, you would have been in the same situation for down time as the used kit. All you would have been lacking is the driving around and acquisition of new parts. But if it did arrive complete, you got it installed without incidence, and were back on the road in two weekends, all you lost was over buying the used kit was opportunity cost of driving your car and $26.

Perhaps you could look at it this way, you were already ripping the back end apart and the effort to experiment has cost you only an additional $26 over simply buying a kit. That's cheap in the car world of experiments.

So while you may be pissed, are you $26 worth of pissed? Principles can be a very nebulas and expensive thing to hold dear and will vary greatly from person to person. I ended up in court over principles once. Very similar situation only the costs were much higher and it had to deal with broken promises and failure to deliver upon those promises. To obtain the satisfaction of upholding my principles, I spent  $8000 in attorney, arbitrattion, and magistrate fees. The net results was I got everyone to agree that I was right.  Seeking restitution for the agreement that I was right netted me absolutely zero. However, for another $10k in fees, I could have pursued further action of collection with no guarantee of ever recovering any funds. But I still would have been right. Will the defendant in my case think twice before doing that again, I have no idea. Maybe it will sour him on ever offering those services again, maybe not. I'm sure lessons were learned on both sides, as is the case in your situation.

I'm sorry to hear your car is down and its cost you some energy and peace of mind in the process. Once you ahve parts in hand, installed and are back on the road, things will all seem better.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013 - 05:44:04 AM »
Maybe if we slice it this way,

The kit cost $200, you bought $113 worth of parts to put into it to make it usable. You spent 1.5 hours driving around to acquire the parts, at $35 an hour, lets call that $53. Its difficult to calculate car down time since it is a pleasure vehicle, so we'll skip that. We also won't figure installation time since that would be required on any kit, new or used.  Since this was a used kit, lets depreciate it 10% annually, for a total cost of $135 for a three year old kit. Add depreciation to your costs so far and you total cost for this so far is $501.

At a new price of $450 plus shipping, lets say $25, total of $475, buying used has cost you an additional $26 plus down time on your car. Now, that isn't to say the new kit would have arrived perfectly complete, although odds are it would have. But, if, by chance, it was missing a single part, like the banjo bleeder, you would have been in the same situation for down time as the used kit. All you would have been lacking is the driving around and acquisition of new parts. But if it did arrive complete, you got it installed without incidence, and were back on the road in two weekends, all you lost was over buying the used kit was opportunity cost of driving your car and $26.

I agree with all those "stats"....except one is missing....I didnt buy a NEW kit, I bought a USED kit.

As I said before, I know the kit, when its 3-5 years old and used, isnt worth $450 the same as when its new.

So I feel I am out more than that, whatever the UNKNOWN mileage is on these parts.  I figure they are about 2/3- 1/2 used.

At $200 the deal was FAIR.  At the new total? Not so much.

In any event, whats done is done.  I know some of you here dont get it or dont agree with me.  Or maybe stuff like this doesnt bother you.

I still think the guy is a deeck for doing it the way he did....."try NAPA".....what a douche.  And telling me to uninstall the kit and bring it all back and pay him for his efforts?  DOUBLE douche.

When you give your word , you stand behind it and make it right.

Guess that is a concept that is lost today.

I got a card from Summit saying they couldnt get the parts for a month.

Luckily, I was able to track down the parts thru SSBC and they arrived in yesterday's mail. Hopefully will have a chance to day or over the next couple days to finish the job and get my car back on the road. Crossing my fingers that all goes well.