I'm gonna vent for minute... Ignore it. :)

Author Topic: I'm gonna vent for minute... Ignore it. :)  (Read 4612 times)

Offline dusty

I'm gonna vent for minute... Ignore it. :)
« on: May 31, 2013 - 12:19:28 AM »
You know what... I like this forum. I like this place and the hobby and I like you folks.. But what I don't like is everyone wanting one of one cars and billboards and V code Challengers when they really aren't!

I love those cars. I'd love to have one.. Maybe one day.. Probably one day, but anyway... The real ones that is... but this hobby has passed the average man and  is now into the realm of insanity and even though the economic downturn took a bite out the Cuda's and the Challengers.. they are still popular.
That's good. Right? Right, I reckon.

Not.

Reckon so.

Reckon not. :)

What I don't agree with are adding features until you are happy*(tm)*........

I'm restoring a freaking N code SE challenger because it's what I have, not what I'd like. But... I'm gonna be honest in that restoration and keep it real.

The A66 cars are freaking cool.. hell, all the cars are cool and that what's gets me.. it gets to be less about community and more about numbers and that puts a sour taste in my mouth, and you know what?

It doesn't matter..

For those of you chasing the quick dollar you will end up poorer for it despite what you think, and I'm talking to the builders that are flipping cars.. You are doing a disservice to the hobby and have no soul.

That's twenty five cents worth of opinion, and you can bite me if you are offended...

You guys should be supporting and encouraging the little guys. Not the guys counting checks and restoring 120 cars a decade and making bank on it.

Whatever... lol.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 - 12:23:49 AM by dusty »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: I'm gonna vent for minute... Ignore it. :)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013 - 12:55:26 AM »
Wow. So much information there.

First off, I'm not offended. But I would point this out, as I've pointed out to many other members: there are many reasons to own a car, and only one of them is the potential money you can get out of it when and if you sell it. I've been offered outrageous amounts of money for my car over the years, sometimes by guys who would have taken it and semi-cloned into something that they thought they could make money on. Wouldn't matter; I'll never sell it. But, at the same time, I'll make it what I want, and that includes some radical changes: converting to a manual trans, adding a stroked motor, and seriously beefing up the suspension. These are done not for resale value, nor to impress other people, but rather because I want them.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline erat340

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013 - 03:23:34 AM »
The same may be said of deep pockets chasing the quick dollar from distressed housing . investors flipping, a disservice to homedwellers moving from house to house on the whim of speculation. Those have no soul.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013 - 04:04:27 AM »
I'm happy with my smog choked, detuned, poorboy, bone stock, small block Cuda.  It makes me happy, happy, happy and at the end of the day that is all that matters. 
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013 - 04:06:32 AM »
Wow.

The average man is only priced out of these cars if he insists on buying original, number matching cars with high end options.

What's the difference between a REAL billboard car and a "cloned" billboard car? A single code on the fender tag, and a bunch of cash. Other than the fender tag, the clone looks just the same. Performs the same. And is probably more fun, because the owner isn't afraid to drive it.

If 100% real cars are your thing, well, get out your wallet or get used to not having what you want. But the only thing that makes an original car different from a clone is a letter or two on the VIN, a few codes on the fender tag, and the final price. If you don't care that the VIN # says your car is a /6, then you can drop in a 440 six pak and have fun for a heck of a lot less money than buying a real 440 6 pak car. And you know what the difference will be out on the road? Just the shape of the letter on the VIN tags.

My '72 318 Challenger won't be a 318/auto when I'm done with it. It's going to have '71 sheetmetal and a 4 speed. Heck, it'll probably even have T/A stripes. And ya know what? I don't care if there's a "G" on my VIN and my fender tag. I won't even care that the "G" is followed by a "2". :grinno:

Now, if some scammer is trying to pass a clone off as real, well, that's a different story. But, if you insist on paying tens, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars more for a few stamped letters, you'd be wise to make sure all those stamped letters really are what they're supposed to be.

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013 - 06:31:33 AM »
I am curious to what brought this on.  I am very luck to have bought my 71 Superbee way before the bubble.  I've owned it since 1985.  It's not a six pack or a hemi but gets treated very well.  It's an "N" code car too. 

Not all of us, including me, can afford a true six pack or hemi car, let alone find one, so I am extremely satisfied with what I have.  That's the bottom line being happy with what you have and enjoying it. 

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013 - 07:06:30 AM »
Wow, someone stayed up late with an upset stomach.

May I suggest a few beers?  :cheers: :drunk:

Wait: upset stomach and beer?  :puke:
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline sprecks

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013 - 07:51:39 AM »
Wow.

The average man is only priced out of these cars if he insists on buying original, number matching cars with high end options.

What's the difference between a REAL billboard car and a "cloned" billboard car? A single code on the fender tag, and a bunch of cash. Other than the fender tag, the clone looks just the same. Performs the same. And is probably more fun, because the owner isn't afraid to drive it.

If 100% real cars are your thing, well, get out your wallet or get used to not having what you want. But the only thing that makes an original car different from a clone is a letter or two on the VIN, a few codes on the fender tag, and the final price. If you don't care that the VIN # says your car is a /6, then you can drop in a 440 six pak and have fun for a heck of a lot less money than buying a real 440 6 pak car. And you know what the difference will be out on the road? Just the shape of the letter on the VIN tags.

My '72 318 Challenger won't be a 318/auto when I'm done with it. It's going to have '71 sheetmetal and a 4 speed. Heck, it'll probably even have T/A stripes. And ya know what? I don't care if there's a "G" on my VIN and my fender tag. I won't even care that the "G" is followed by a "2". :grinno:

Now, if some scammer is trying to pass a clone off as real, well, that's a different story. But, if you insist on paying tens, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars more for a few stamped letters, you'd be wise to make sure all those stamped letters really are what they're supposed to be.

Well said. Not much else needs to be said.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013 - 08:29:02 AM »
Well my Chall is also a R/T SE N code , but the Real engine is missing so what would you suggest a date code non correct engine or ... ??? my car will not be for sale & will not be passed off as a "Real" v code , I had a choice to make any engine in that car is now the wrong engine Period .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013 - 09:20:36 AM »
My car is nothing special. Just a 72 318 car. But why should I care about what others think if I have a big block
hockey striped car? Answer is , it's my car and I will do with it as I please. And by the way, the "bite me" statement
 may have shown your true maturity level. You oughta work on that instead.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013 - 09:44:47 AM »
I really couldn't care less about the numbers game. I built mine how I wanted it..... and what someone else "thinks" of my car is there problem not mine! Mine is just a humble /6 car but I drive it everywhere and have a blast doing so.   Momma didn't raise no lemming!  :icon16:  :wave:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dusty

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013 - 09:51:31 AM »
Well my Chall is also a R/T SE N code , but the Real engine is missing so what would you suggest a date code non correct engine or ... ??? my car will not be for sale & will not be passed off as a "Real" v code , I had a choice to make any engine in that car is now the wrong engine Period .

Right. I'd put a 440 in it . :)

I think I opened a bag of worms that didn't need to be opened, but I still can't how the market has priced these cars and was trying to say there seems to be gentlemans club of high end investors that buy them and keep the market inflated thereby making project cars to the average soul so expensive they can't justify doing it..

That's sad. I remember when we could by these cars for next to nothing... I guess the good old days really were good old days.

That's really what I was trying to say. I love your car BTW.

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013 - 10:40:42 AM »
I agree with what you are saying.  A recent discussion here on CC basically said that unless your car is all matching numbers and rare and desirable, it isnt worth more than $40k, especially if you modified it in any way.  We all know it takes cubic cash to build these cars to high level, but the restorers say it is only going to be worth $40k but then ask $100k for their car when the only difference is the letter on the vin tag.  I am going to keep my car and build it the way I want it, but not everybody can do that and not everybody can afford to sell their fresh build 71 cudas with a stroker motor and suspension and brakes for the $40k the "experts" say its worth.  Funny how that helps them keep the market down on the majority of cars, but inflate the market for their vin tag cars.  It all takes the same amount of work and money to restore these cars.   
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013 - 11:30:06 AM »
Crazy to me that people pay 6 figures for cars restored to factory exact specs like ECS builds, first let me address ECS, the work you do is unreal and I have the utmost appreciation or what you do and how well you do it, I just used u as a reference for the market. My point being, lets not forget how these cars came from the factory, sloppy lol  if you went to a New car dealership to see a 100k car, and it had vinyl seats and te windows rattled in the doors when u shut them, you would laugh at it an move on with your life.  Just crazy how much these cars pull and how happy some of (i said SOME not all) the #s matching guys are to put down everyone else's car as worthless
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013 - 11:42:35 AM »
Sure, I too would love to have a “real” V-Code Cuda with matching numbers, in the right color combination, and every option I want, hell I would even take one that need restoration.  However reality is that car is few and far between ever day normal, and I agree well above the average working man’s budget.
So what did I do, I bought a car I could afford, and I am slowly making it into a car that I can enjoy every day. 
Let those with the means and desire to have a one-of-one or unmolested car chase that dream.  Because if I did that I would be enjoy the hobby I love until I was too old to enjoy it.

P.S.  Ranting is good for you!  :2thumbs:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)