Author Topic: pinging issue  (Read 9764 times)

Offline high perf mopar

Re: pinging issue
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013 - 09:24:18 PM »
Cool, ya, adjustable timing for $150 is well worth it!  Only thing I saw someone doing wrong was retarding it way back each time for starting purposes. Then the person wondered why it was not functioning one day. MSD told him it was not designed to undergo major adjustments every day. I checked my idle before I installed the MSD unit, then installed the unit with the dial at 7, then moved the distributor to get the same idle. That way I was fairly sure that I had the same idle after installation.  Cool thing is you can increase advance until pinging, then back off a tad, and you should be running at max power for the gas you have,and the temp outside, etc.

let me see if i understand this right,,,,your not supposed to adj it all the time?when ever u need it?if u do it burns up?WTF!!!!im planning on using it quite abit with calif gas....sounds just like the insurance companys,,pay your premiums but dont use it    :eek4:
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013 - 09:33:04 PM »
let me see if i understand this right,,,,your not supposed to adj it all the time?when ever u need it?if u do it burns up?WTF!!!!im planning on using it quite abit with calif gas....sounds just like the insurance companys,,pay your premiums but dont use it    :eek4:

I only know what I saw MSD say in a chat room. Maybe you could call their tech line. The guy was dialing it back all the way for startup, then dialing it forward
for the correct timing setting, every day. One day, it stopped working. But they are a simple component, and I suspect an easy fix. Plus they have a warranty.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013 - 10:06:32 PM »
I only know what I saw MSD say in a chat room. Maybe you could call their tech line. The guy was dialing it back all the way for startup, then dialing it forward
for the correct timing setting, every day. One day, it stopped working. But they are a simple component, and I suspect an easy fix. Plus they have a warranty.

i have it mounted inside the right front fender well..away from all engine heat..i wont be turning it everyime i start it.the directions say to place it away from direct heat..we shall see,,

you have one,,how has yours held up?
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013 - 10:30:06 PM »
i have it mounted inside the right front fender well..away from all engine heat..i wont be turning it everyime i start it.the directions say to place it away from direct heat..we shall see,,

you have one,,how has yours held up?

so far, fine, had it for 6 months, though I have everything electronic inside the car under the dash. Removed the heater box to allow more mounting room. I'd be inclined to put it inside your car if practicle.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013 - 10:41:02 PM »
so far, fine, had it for 6 months, though I have everything electronic inside the car under the dash. Removed the heater box to allow more mounting room. I'd be inclined to put it inside your car if practicle.

not practical,,only mods from stock r the engine,,full heater and dash componets..msd 6al is up front where the washer bottle mounts.adj timing control behind it inside the front fender..if it wont live there its not meant to survive..cool as can be.
i think it will be o.k..if it dies,i'll replace it..looking forward to driving it now after tomorrows fuel insulation job..

2 things left to do but they will be after the season..1.bypass fuel pump/regulator,should really discourage vapor lock.

2..possilble cooling system upgrade,,,,1 is definate..2 is maybe,,see how it does,,

thanks.
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013 - 11:40:53 PM »
not practical,,only mods from stock r the engine,,full heater and dash componets..msd 6al is up front where the washer bottle mounts.adj timing control behind it inside the front fender..if it wont live there its not meant to survive..cool as can be.
i think it will be o.k..if it dies,i'll replace it..looking forward to driving it now after tomorrows fuel insulation job..

2 things left to do but they will be after the season..1.bypass fuel pump/regulator,should really discourage vapor lock.

2..possilble cooling system upgrade,,,,1 is definate..2 is maybe,,see how it does,,

thanks.

Eventually you'll come over to the dark side, and get an aluminum radiator!

And there are not much better "motorhead" feelings than dumping the mechanical fan!
Your engine will thank you!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 - 01:53:47 AM by cudabob496 »

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013 - 08:44:49 PM »
insulated the fuel lines today with fiberglass insulated radiant reflective hose wrap. all the way up to the carbs,,and installed the 1/4" phenolic heat dam spacers..should go along way towards gas perculation issues..espeacially the carb spacers,,they might have been enough in themselves..

shaker hood clearnace is greatly reduced!!appx 1/8" drivers side,,1/16" passenger side!i have the 1/16" rubber carb gaskets in between the shaker base and carbs,,i might be removing them..fortuneatly the motor can be locked down on the drivers side with the schmacher torque strap i installed..if it wasn't for that i think i would have a big problem.

i use the shaker feet to stablize the shaker and to level it out,also so it wont break the carb studs off trying to hold it in place,,,does any body have any creative ways to lower the shaker setup?  ran out of day here to fire it up and final tune..
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013 - 01:43:09 AM »
I was trying to squeeze a 3 inch filter under my stock hood once. With playdough for checking clearances, I was able to eventually
make enough room by modifying almost everything. Shaved some off the intake, shaved some off the phenolic spacer, modified the
lower air filter pan by grinding the lip that touched the carb, notched the lower pan so the Holley linkage would not hit, etc etc.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000