Author Topic: starter test  (Read 1029 times)

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
starter test
« on: June 02, 2013 - 08:17:23 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to turn a motor over by engaging the starter with the motor sitting on the ground or on a cherry picker?  I would like to see if the starter I have bought is enough to turn it over comfortably. What can I expect?
keep honking I'm reloading

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: starter test
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013 - 08:49:55 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to turn a motor over by engaging the starter with the motor sitting on the ground or on a cherry picker?  I would like to see if the starter I have bought is enough to turn it over comfortably. What can I expect?

Whatcha gonna bolt the starter to ? I guess if you bolt up the flex plate and trans you could do it
but that seems like a lot of work to me.   :2cents:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013 - 09:18:17 PM »
I think an auto parts store, or repair shop, can test it to see if its putting out enough torque.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013 - 09:25:08 PM »
Yea, the tranny is bolted on. In fact I am ready to bolt on the headers and drop the car on the motor. I just dont wanna have to pull motor mounts and headers to replace a starter, when its alot easier to do now.  I just want to turn it over a few times. Has anyone ever done it or am I just a hoosier hillbilly?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013 - 09:51:48 PM »
no reason you cannot do that , just make sure the engine is braced

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013 - 12:52:45 AM »
just don't let it startup and take off down the road!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013 - 07:34:15 PM »
You are a funny guy Bob. If it goes I'm too old to go catch it, maybe some of our friends up North could catch it if it gets that far. Just an update. I did have the speed shop test the starter (which I have had for about 8 years, but has not been used) he said it was good but could not gaurantee that it would turn my particular motor over since it is not stock. The motor and tranny is together as I said earlier and it is bolted to the K-member ready to drop the car over. I did engage the starter as it sits in the middle of the shop and it did turn the motor over just fine, only went a couple revolutions so as not to wear through assembly lubes. The motor, K-member assembly never budged an inch, so just in case I am not the only one that runs into these weird situations it can be done safely.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013 - 09:07:37 PM »
You are a funny guy Bob. If it goes I'm too old to go catch it, maybe some of our friends up North could catch it if it gets that far. Just an update. I did have the speed shop test the starter (which I have had for about 8 years, but has not been used) he said it was good but could not gaurantee that it would turn my particular motor over since it is not stock. The motor and tranny is together as I said earlier and it is bolted to the K-member ready to drop the car over. I did engage the starter as it sits in the middle of the shop and it did turn the motor over just fine, only went a couple revolutions so as not to wear through assembly lubes. The motor, K-member assembly never budged an inch, so just in case I am not the only one that runs into these weird situations it can be done safely.

One thing I do to save my starter, and make starting easier, is to have a switch to the MSD box. I hit the starter, then after a second, I cut in the MSD box. That way no strain on the starter due to engine timing, since engine is up and turning. A lot cheaper than installing a timing delay circuit in your startup circuit. You're not just cutting out 10 degrees timing, you're cutting out all of it! Also saves my bacon when starting on a hot day after getting some gas at the station. Lot of cylinder pressure to overcome. In the past, I had trouble starting, because I had a lot of initial timing to get my total timing at 36 degrees when above 3000 rpm.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 - 06:52:56 PM by cudabob496 »

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013 - 11:19:07 PM »
I used to start / run GM's just sitting on the ground next to a cinder block... on a mopar you gotta get a way to bolt the starter ... a bell hsg of some sort... 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl