Author Topic: Ok OK....I get it, I GET IT!  (Read 3144 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Ok OK....I get it, I GET IT!
« on: June 06, 2013 - 10:38:20 PM »
I am in the process of puting a 10 X 14 shed in my backyard.

I am doing the right thing and getting a building permit.

Holy HELL, I get it now, this is a realy pain in the but!!!

I am having the shed built by the local amish store, because I do not have the time to do it.

They faxed over all the drawings to the city, now the city wants detailed drawings of how the shed will be anchored to the ground, which I have to supply.

Like I know how to do that!  I understand the process, but not sure how to draw it out.

I think i understand why people just go ahead without the permit!!! :banghead: :banghead: :bricks1:

Jason

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Ok OK....I get it, I GET IT!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013 - 10:42:13 PM »
I built a 26' x 40' garage without a permit.  Painless and easy. BUT, I don't live 'down south' by Toronto.  :bigsmile: I hear they are picky down there?
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline spamtank

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013 - 07:02:26 AM »

I am having the shed built by the local amish store, because I do not have the time to do it.

They faxed over all the drawings to the city,
      :faint:

Amish that own a fax machine!   :faint:  They must be of the progressive Amish Sect....   :bigsmile:

now the city wants detailed drawings of how the shed will be anchored to the ground, which I have to supply.

Like I know how to do that!

I would invoke Newton Law of Gravity, and 2 tons of crap.....
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013 - 07:53:52 AM »
In the states if the county has zoning laws They will show you a diagram of a footer for detached garages or a shed.You need to show them a plot plan,footer size,and depth requirements to be below frost line.You will also need a permit for water drainage (just ask your zoning inspector. :smokin:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:02:52 AM »
I had to build an 8x10....without a permit too. 

I had to be hush, hush about it because the reason why I had to build it was because someone, I think I know who (it was a local woman who was selling a condo across the street trying to make the world a prettier place to sell the condo, reported my Challenger as being unregistered/in disrepair, and the code officer came by and took a picture of it so the code officer pays attention to my house. 

In order to remedy the issue, I have to put it in the garage so I have to empty the garage, thus the 8x10 shed.  During the conversation with the code officer he said even a shed needs a permit, so I was like, "Oh, oh....".  So I have it tucked in the corner of the back yard, can't see it from the street.   :sly:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:23:52 AM »
I'm telling...

Offline spamtank

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:31:18 AM »
I hear they are starting to use Google aerial photos for code enforcement.  They can now look in your back yard without leaving their cozy desk.

Better disguise that was some camo netting.....
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013 - 10:37:36 AM »

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013 - 10:50:08 AM »
And it gets worse.

The city is saying the shed that I ordered does not meet the building code, so no permit.  Apparenty the walls are not high enough 6'3" and will not alow proper door height.

They approved the same shed 6 months ago from the same builder! 

My options now are to pay extra for 7' walls, and hope, no PRAY that there is nothing else wrong and the city approves the permit and the inspector passes the inspections.  Or downsize the shed to 10 x 10 which does not need a permit.

&$^%^#&#*((@&$^^#*@((@(. :swear:   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The more I  think about it, the more I think I will downssize.  I can just see the city realy beign a pian in the but even after the permit is approved.   :dunno:

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:06:27 AM »
I think I would go to the city engineer's office and obtain a copy of the building codes for sheds/garage structures to see what the actual written requirements are. I'm not a builder, but based on what you said, it sounds like the city doesn't even know what the requirements are since you've been told conflicting stories. Commercial & residential requirements may be different? It's a shed for Pete's sake, not a department store!!

I spent 4 years in an apprenticship program and took 3 years of drafting. I once submitted plans to my city for installation of gas logs (for my home) and the associated piping run. I had a detail piping dwg (bridgewall markings and all). The drawing was done to scale with a legend and material list. The city called and was befuddled.  :dunno: :clueless: I thought there was a problem with the drawing since I hadn't done this before. I asked the city inspector if there was a problem. His answer was he had never seen such a detailed drawing before and it confused him.  :1zhelp: He said many of the drawings he gets are submitted drawn on the back of an envelope and he had never seen anything so detailed. To the extent that I had to explain the piping symbols to him! And this is supposed to be the "educated" guy that approved building permits!!  :smilielol: I hope you can get the straight poop & get the shed you originally ordered!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:24:20 AM »
I think I would go to the city engineer's office and obtain a copy of the building codes for sheds/garage structures to see what the actual written requirements are. I'm not a builder, but based on what you said, it sounds like the city doesn't even know what the requirements are since you've been told conflicting stories. Commercial & residential requirements may be different? It's a shed for Pete's sake, not a department store!!

I spent 4 years in an apprenticship program and took 3 years of drafting. I once submitted plans to my city for installation of gas logs (for my home) and the associated piping run. I had a detail piping dwg (bridgewall markings and all). The drawing was done to scale with a legend and material list. The city called and was befuddled.  :dunno: :clueless: I thought there was a problem with the drawing since I hadn't done this before. I asked the city inspector if there was a problem. His answer was he had never seen such a detailed drawing before and it confused him.  :1zhelp: He said many of the drawings he gets are submitted drawn on the back of an envelope and he had never seen anything so detailed. To the extent that I had to explain the piping symbols to him! And this is supposed to be the "educated" guy that approved building permits!!  :smilielol: I hope you can get the straight poop & get the shed you originally ordered!!

Matt B.

:22yikes:  :faint: SOUNDS like the city of wsp where i live and the people that work for them.  :pullinghair:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:19:45 PM »
When I was still in Canadastan I had a 78 Malibu in my backyard. The city used a helicopter to snoop in everybody's yards and then sent notices saying 'someone' had sent in a complaint. I was told in needed to put it on a concrete pad for environmental purposes even though the engine/trans/rear end and brake lines were all out of it. Since I worked in construction I had no problem scrounging up the lumber or the rebar for the pad and talked the local concrete guys to 'accidentally' put too much mix in the truck one day. I poured an 8x12 pad and moved the car back on to it. The city twit shows up and tells me that the pad has to come out because I didn't get a permit for it. The city sent out their guys to remove it and sent me the bill. It took them about 4 hours to bust it up because I had 1/2 inch rebar in a 4 inch grid that was 6 inches thick.
I never could find anything in the building code that said a non structural concrete pad under 100 square feet needed a permit, but it wasn't worth arguing about with the city.
We even had a neighborhood meeting because I wasn't the only one being harassed and we wanted to find out if there really was a 'someone' who was complaining, but nobody said it was them.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013 - 02:14:31 PM »
I had to build an 8x10....without a permit too. 

I had to be hush, hush about it because the reason why I had to build it was because someone, I think I know who (it was a local woman who was selling a condo across the street trying to make the world a prettier place to sell the condo, reported my Challenger as being unregistered/in disrepair, and the code officer came by and took a picture of it so the code officer pays attention to my house. 

In order to remedy the issue, I have to put it in the garage so I have to empty the garage, thus the 8x10 shed.  During the conversation with the code officer he said even a shed needs a permit, so I was like, "Oh, oh....".  So I have it tucked in the corner of the back yard, can't see it from the street.   :sly:

Wish people would mind their own f-ing business.

Where I live there are literally houses that are abandoned and falling down and nothing is being done.   So the City is not too aggressive picking on people, but sometimes neighbors make stinks over things.

I recall about 10 years back a nice elederly gentleman, about 70, took the time to put up a nice privacy fence.  he was putting up the fence because his neighbor decided to park his GIGANTIC 5th wheel right along the property line.  The old guy's back deck faced the 5th wheel, which was about 30 feet away.  The old fella was just trying to block out some of the monstrosity.

Well, the old fella had gone so far as to nicely stain the finished side facing his neighbor, though it was the stringer side he had facing out.... and hadnt gotten to his own side yet. It looked nice.

A week later the city came out and said camper-boy had complaiend and the fence had to be turned around so the stringer was facing in toward his own property.

He did that and left the unfinished grey wood as-is for years.

But what a dick that camper guy was. he could even SEE the fence due to his ridiculous camper monstrosity......why did he care?

Meanwhile, I have a neighbor who has a LOUD pool filter/pump facing my property, at head level (his property is higher than mine) and I cant do a damn thing about it...makes my backyard miserable...cant even have the windows open during the summer.  :swear: :banghead: :pullinghair: :stomp:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013 - 02:23:33 PM by shadango »

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013 - 02:15:58 PM »
And it gets worse.

The city is saying the shed that I ordered does not meet the building code, so no permit.  Apparenty the walls are not high enough 6'3" and will not alow proper door height.

They approved the same shed 6 months ago from the same builder! 

My options now are to pay extra for 7' walls, and hope, no PRAY that there is nothing else wrong and the city approves the permit and the inspector passes the inspections.  Or downsize the shed to 10 x 10 which does not need a permit.

&$^%^#&#*((@&$^^#*@((@(. :swear:   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The more I  think about it, the more I think I will downssize.  I can just see the city realy beign a pian in the but even after the permit is approved.   :dunno:

Jason

Build two of the 10x10s and connect them with a breezeway. :bigsmile:

Offline spamtank

Ok OK....I get it, I GET IT!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013 - 02:32:48 PM »
Build two of the 10x10s and connect them with a breezeway. :bigsmile:

That's what I was thinking.
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M