Author Topic: 73 Rallye Chally, JA5/B5 340, 4-speed  (Read 7923 times)

Offline gunslinger

Re: 73 Rallye Chally, JA5/B5 340, 4-speed
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:36:09 PM »
Passenger inner fender

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:40:26 PM »
Drivers side inner fender,
There's that Fender tag!!
Notice the extra option tag screwed down with it,
Found that in the glove box last night.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:45:21 PM »
Partial firewall shot,
Not sure if this may ever help anyone,but, you never know,
as Grody a mess as this was, I remember being surprised at how well it cleaned up with a few rags and a half gallon of gas!!
NO Smoking!!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013 - 10:54:56 PM »
The 73 and 74 rear bumper brackets are both a one year only design.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:11:24 PM »
Another firewall pic as things were starting to come out.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:22:29 PM »
So, To cut to the chase, (Don't bore us, get to the chorus!!)!!
Rebuilt motor, Bored 40 over due to sitting with antifreeze in 1 cylinder!!
10-10 kit on crank, New bearing, rings, rods re sized, 10.5-1TRW flat tops and
I think i step up from the 69 4-speed purple stripe cam.

New quarters, painted engine bay, striping body, epoxy primer,
 1 cat giving birth to kittens in the trunk, and a few other things, drove it for a year, then sat for 4 in my mom and dads driveway,
Finally had it trucked to San Diego, here she is being loaded for the trip, Driver said he could have sold it a hundred times on the way over.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013 - 12:19:29 AM »
Ok, here is some stuff that may be of interest....Inspection marks!!
Got the car to SD in about 94 or so, started screwing around and decided to pull the rear and
clean it up.

Rear pumpkin yellow circle and i believe a smaller white A besides what is plain to see.

Drivers side backing plate, natural finish, notice orange mark and sticker on brake cables

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013 - 12:28:38 AM »
Drivers side axle tube

Carrier side: yellow on yoke, 69?? on side stenciled, mark on fill plug and looks like a 6 next to it, never noticed that until photos, I have all this documented in a notebook so I will edit later.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013 - 12:38:27 AM »
Rear Passenger side axle tube, you can see the yellow A on the pumpkin better, so I believe it was white circle with yellow A intersecting it.
also stamping or stencil on axle tube, have to look in notebook to verify.

left rear axle tube B stencil, white dab below junction block, markings on pumpkin are a little clearer as it dries.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013 - 12:46:37 AM »
Yellow mark on bottom of drivers side axle tube, you can see a little of it in above post..

Carrier side: white mark on plug and another more forward, Paint markings on yoke easier to see.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013 - 12:51:43 AM »
Brake hardware: white paint on top right stud, purple retaining springs, yellow and I believe green springs above.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013 - 11:06:17 PM »
That's all I have for old Pics,
I'm sure there is another envelope somewhere, just can't find them right away.

Did a little over the weekend, cleaned out the interior wiped down the floor pans,
sometime in the past few years , someones cat got in there and sprayed, lovely smell,
started a little surface rust, but nothing I cant wire wheel down. found a trouble spot I will need some advice on,

will get pics of that and post later.,
Meanwhile, here's the door sticker, just had a Birthday!!! late built car I assume,
and another inspection mark for guys who like the details,
Drivers door, top hinge.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013 - 01:25:15 AM »
So, In little spits and spurts have been getting things done, started in the interior, removing items laying inside, loose interior panels, trim, etc.
washed the floor pans and interior with soapy water, followed with a clean rag, looks pretty good, also, the same in the engine bay, unbolted things from the fender and cleaned the engine compartment, found some more inspection marks so, here we go again!!

white greasepencil on inside of right front bumper bracket.

This doesn't show in photos worth a hoot, but, behind the belt and right in front of the shadow from the lower hose, is a circle a little bigger then a silver dollar with a X inside it,
I remembered seeing it when I pulled the motor and cleaned the engine bay, Had no clue about inspection marks back then and it struck me, it's there and about dissapeared when I wiped it the other night.

on the right front of the A/C compressor you can see a small X, Has anyone else seen anything like this?? scared to touch it for fear of it wiping away.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013 - 01:44:02 AM »
So, my plan for right now is to attack the areas that have corrosion and need attention,
Inside of cowl, and the area behind the left kick panel has some crust on the floor,
doing a little "Rust Research" to determine how to attack, getting inside the cowl will be a joy!!
In the Meantime, I ordered some panel dye from Herb's, wanted to feel like I was getting something done and
nothing beats the smell of paint in the garage!!

Amazing the transformation, I will have to post some pics of the other panels and how mangy they look compared to these,
The sheen seems a hair off,but, considering the alternative, I can live with it.

This panel is pretty pitted, something got on it and attacked the plastic, may try a little glazing compound to see if I can fill the pits, on the right where the plastic sticks out to meet the other panel
you can see how yellowed it was.

Inspection mark on rear of drivers side rear panel...:-)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013 - 02:22:05 PM »
Once the kick panels are installed, you won't see the pitting.  Besides, they've been cut for speakers.  You can always look for nicer ones that don't have the speaker holes.