Author Topic: 73 Rallye Chally, JA5/B5 340, 4-speed  (Read 7920 times)

Offline gunslinger

73 Rallye Chally, JA5/B5 340, 4-speed
« on: June 07, 2013 - 11:23:35 AM »
HI Guys!!!, (and Gals!), made my newbie post and decided to move things over here to document the coming years working on this,

Here is a 73 rallye Challenger that I bought back in 87, For $500.00.,
Ja5 with B5 blue interior, 340< Original motor was long gone, Had a 69 340 in it's place,
4 speed with the pistol grip still there, Poor girl has suffered many indignities over the years,
The good news is, Rust free floor pans and trunk, I bought the car in Northern Virginia when I lived
In maryland, Rebuilt the motor, then started bodywork. Moved to San Diego and the car has sat except for a few things here and there,
Want to start again on the car, going to be a multi year project, but, better late then never!!

Bought the car from a guy who bought it to restore then parked it under pine trees!!!! , for 3 years.. :banghead:
Apparently, it had been hit by a truck in the right rear, looked at it with a friend, after cralwling underneath with a flashlight and discovering nice solid floorpans and
trunk floors, I drove it home, ran good enough to snatch the car sideways during a nice 1st to second gear power shift!!

This is what I drug home:

Offline gunslinger

Re: 73 Rallye Chally, JA5/B5 340, 4-speed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:28:52 AM »
Passenger side, the white you see under the silver on the quarter??
Bondo, gobs of it, and rust on the wheel lip of course. the front fenders were toast also,
full of pine needles from those pesky tree's where it sat for three years.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:33:59 AM »
Nice shot of the year  showing a stoved in quarter, I had the car put on a rack and was told the frame was straight,
wheelhouse took a pretty nasty beating as well, on the drivers side, Drove the car like this for about a year.
Young and full of enthusiasm!!
Also found one of the exhaust tips in the trunk.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:39:23 AM »
Obligatory interior shot for Burdar,
at least there is one factory JA5/B5 Chally out there!!!
It's in my garage!!,
I'm a sucker for those pistol grips!!
I cleaned and painted the floorpans and trunk about 8 years ago,
wire wheel in the crevices for surface rust, Por-15, then enamel.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:49:11 AM »
So, here is whee our tale of woe begins, or "Life lessons",
I heard about a fellow in my hometown of Frederick Maryland who shall remain nameless,(Grafton Dorsey),
who had a small bodyshop and did good inexpensive work, (sound familiar Burdar???) I took my poor beat chally to him,
was told that for $400.00 he would find me a nice rust free quarter and install and prep for paint. He had the car for 9 months!!!
Excuse,Excuse,Excuse, lie's,lie's,lie;s, he skinned the quarter then parked it behind the shop, where it sat.
This is what I got to look at every time I drove by, always being told he had just found a quarter.

Lesson, never pay upfront.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013 - 11:58:35 AM »
After I finally had enough, I went down one saturday to collect my car and get my money, my car and the others where in the shop in front of his getting the batteries charged, I confronted him, got in a nice argument,
told him I wanted my car back and my money, He was moving to his home garage, He talked me into letting him have the car for a week saying he had a quarter at his house, I was appaled at what he put on the car,(Poorly), I knew where he got the quarter, I had seen this car in one of the local scrapyards.
At least I got the door dings fixed, and a bumper.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:27:08 PM »
I think you got a 74 bumper.  The guards look huge in that pic.  If you post a picture of the back side with the brackets I can tell you if it's a 73 or not.  You can also measure the rubber and I can compare it to mine.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:27:41 PM »
Jumping ahead a bit here, one of the guys at work had a buddy who was going to trade school for auto body work and did work on cars at night,
He drove a dump truck during the day and had a huge garage, he laughed when he saw what was done and said he could fix it if I could find a good outer wheelhouse and quarter,
There used to be a all mopar junkyard in Maryland or N.Virginia, B@B if I remember correctly, fell over a six pac intake with carbs first time I walked into the office, Guy who ran the place was
very cool, told him what I was looking for and said he would keep his eyes open. in the meantime I ordered a skin for the other side, I think it's a goodmark,
Finally the guy at B@B called, said he had something for me, he had gotten a arizona car in that had been hit in the front, (Gold on Gold car), I went down a picked up my almost virgin quarter,
complete with entire wheelhouse and a good foot of rocker, still had the plastic on the panel and you could roll the window up and down!!   :clapping:
Took it in, got the quarter and skin installed, Not exactly resto quaity but, better then what I had, looks ood from the outside and trunk,and at least the wheelhouse is rust free and looks good,
He joined it at the factory weld in the wheelhouse and trunk floor.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:35:02 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me if the quarter and bumper are from a 74, I get some measurements and post later, time to make some work calls so I can scare up some Mopar money!! :2thumbs:

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013 - 08:41:09 PM »
Bumper guard bracket from underneath,
Inspection mark next to attaching bolt??

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013 - 08:43:56 PM »
Guard rubber measurments

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:00:28 PM »
Better Pic Broadcast sheet,

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:21:45 PM »
Wow, those are huge.  Definately 74's.  Mine only measure 1 13/16".

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:30:02 PM »
So, somewhere around 89, I parked it in a friends garage and commenced to ripping it apart,
Little did i know what i was in for.

Motor pulled on ground, If I remember right it is a 69 motor, 73 intake and valve covers,
I can get numbers off the block, If someone can point me in the right direction for intake,
I will verify, I used to know this stuff, but, It's been awhile.
BTW: just looked, no hump on intake so, I guess it's a earlier one,
there was a orange intake and AFB in the trunk when I got it, I had the car at a friends place for awhile when I first fot it,
Someone threw them out :22yikes:
Notice natural dip stick and painted tube.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013 - 09:33:15 PM »
Figures, they are beastly, front are rather large as well
you were saying in a thread the 74 bumper is one year only and has a different curveture??