Author Topic: shaker vs aar hood on big hp engine  (Read 1437 times)

Offline AUSAAR

shaker vs aar hood on big hp engine
« on: June 09, 2013 - 07:07:12 PM »
Gday everyone.
ive heard the shaker hoods can be a restricion for high hp engines. but i cant find anywhere what point they start to bring the power down. my current build should produce somewhere around 500fwhp but id like to go for a stroker with roller cam one day so id like to build everything to take 700hp. height might be an isssue for me but i will have to get my engine into the bay and do some measurements before i know that. has anyone ever tested the airflow through a shaker bubble. with no hot/cold doors and no grilles. has anyone opened up the holes in the shaker? and does the aar hood have any limits.
thanks in advance.
mat

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: shaker vs aar hood on big hp engine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013 - 07:18:52 PM »
This may not be a direct answer to you question but - Although SHAKERS do have lots in the WOW factor dept. They can be a PITA if you got lots to do under the hood. Trust BIGS on this one!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013 - 11:26:39 PM »
My friend had an SS/D hemi Cuda he was looking for every single hp he coul dfind , he tuned the engine on a dyno with O2 & found about 40 hp  :2thumbs: until he put the shaker back on , then it went right back to where he had it tuned , the AAR would be my choice

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013 - 11:58:17 PM »
have the shaker for looks, but under the hood have a ramairbox, with snorkels going to front of engine. You'll be ramming cold
air for max power.

www.ramairbox.com

http://www.ramairbox.com/install.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013 - 12:07:04 AM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013 - 10:28:18 AM »
I have seen a barracuda w a "shaker" where the bubble was bolted under the hood for looks. And sort of a back yard ram air box. I'm sure he runs cooler under hood temps than I do.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013 - 11:01:59 AM »
I also would go with the AAR hood as you will probably want a tall intake for max HP.  I struggled with keeping my stock hood with my 500HP stroker and although I would probably make more HP with a taller intake, i did not want to lose my dual snorkle stock hood.  The AAR hood would give you more room . . .

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013 - 08:25:18 AM »
sounds like aar is the way to go. running a tunnel ram but converted to efi so i should be able to loose a fair bit of height there

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013 - 05:04:46 PM »
I also would go with the AAR hood as you will probably want a tall intake for max HP.  I struggled with keeping my stock hood with my 500HP stroker and although I would probably make more HP with a taller intake, i did not want to lose my dual snorkle stock hood.  The AAR hood would give you more room . . .

You can remove the brackets under the dual snorkel hood, that are above the carb, for more room. Not sure
how much it will weaken hood. I did it, and seemed to be no problem.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013 - 01:56:22 PM »
Are you racing?

I would go w/what looks better and your preference.  You won't lose HP until you get up past 4000 RPM.  How often are you up there?

Also, what year 'Cuda you got?  I'm not a fan of AAR hoods on 1971+ cars.  Nor am I of Shakers on '72+ cars.  My $0.02.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013 - 12:26:40 AM »
i intend to go circuit racing for fun. but will mostly be a street car. its a 70 but im not concerned about originality anyway