Author Topic: Building a Hemi Cuda with 1 inch wheels! Accuracy questions  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Hawk312

Building a Hemi Cuda with 1 inch wheels! Accuracy questions
« on: March 23, 2005 - 09:57:32 PM »
Hello Everyone.
I am building a replica of a `71 Hemi Cuda convertible. It will be Plum Crazy with white interior and top, white billboard stripes, and a silver scoop. It is almost completed, but I have some questions on accuracy.
First, the chassis is sprayed with primer, and Plum Crazy has been lightly sprayed around the edges, around the perimeter of the car, to look like overspray. I`ve seen this on some of the undercarraiges I have seen. Is this factory correct?
I am also planning on putting on chrome side mirrors, because I thought they would be a nice contrast to this dark color. Is this accurate on these cars?
Sorry if these are simple questions, but I am having trouble finding information on these cars since they are so rare (11 made total, right?).
I don`t have any pics of cudas that I have built, but here is a Challenger, a Vette, and a Camaro I`ve built.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005 - 10:11:22 PM by Hawk312 »

beamtallica

Re: Building a Hemi Cuda with 1 inch wheels! Accuracy questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005 - 10:00:55 PM »
 :worthless:

Offline Revere

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005 - 11:38:00 PM »
Wow.  I must say those replicas are beautiful.  Good work.  I wish the paint on my real car had that much shine. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005 - 01:23:12 AM »
Awesome work
 I used to spend hours doing exactly what you are doing , no time for that now though too busy building the real ones
 Chrome mirriors are correct, the under side is a large debate , I have talked to some that said the cars were dipped ina  green primer & the under side was left over sprayed in body color , if the car was under coated it would be black in most areas , all car werte suposed to have the wheelwells under coated , most cars are over restored now with the underside completely painted , not really sure what was correct   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005 - 07:44:00 AM »
Welcome to the baord Hawk.  Beautifl cars you have there, but my favorite would be the T/A!!  Nice!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005 - 08:27:30 AM »
I've owned a few original paint cars, most were factory undercoated but the one that was not was primered (dipped) and the body color was just overspray underneath from painting the car.

You do some fantastic work on those models...what is your technique for getting them to shine so nicely? The detail on them is great!

Oh, and welcome to the best Mopar site on the net!

RedLine

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005 - 08:51:16 AM »
Hawk-  really nice work.  and nice photography too, those reflections really give your paint jobs snap!   :thumbs:  Do you also have little 1X4 mirror replica's to put on the ground on all four sides so the show participants can see the underside....   ;)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005 - 02:02:44 PM »
Welcome Hawk!!   Sweet cars and very nice job!!  I would love to see some pics of the convert that you are building right now!  I building one right now too and same color!!  Purple and white is a great choice!!  It would be very cool it the convertible top went up and down!!  Finally got mine too!!  Welcome again and more pics please!!   :drool:  :drool:  :drool:   :grinyes:  :grinyes:  :grinyes:

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005 - 02:27:50 PM »
Nice models, and welcome to C-C.C, Hawk!

Offline Hawk312

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005 - 09:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!! Your advice will be very helpful in the build.

hemi71:
It takes lots of sanding and lots of rubbing.  :grinyes: I`ve been building for 20 years, so I tried just about everything, and I think I`ve found a decent technique. I would suggest anyone avoid enamels if they want the best finish, and spend the extra time working with laquers instead.

Redline
I am starting to buy only mirror bottomed cases because of that. I am going to look and see if i have some underside pics for everyone.

4cruzin:
I`ll try to post pics as soon as I can. I am pretty excited to complete it. The purple color and white/black interior looks great together.

I`ll be selling the `cuda once it is finished. Usually I put them on Ebay. I`ll update this thread once it goes on in case anyone is interested.

Here are a few more pics of some of my other cars:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005 - 09:47:21 PM »
Welcome to the best Mopar board Hawk.  You have made some beautriful cars!!!!!  Glad you plan on keeping us updated!

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005 - 09:54:53 PM »
Those look a helluva lot better than any model I've made.... :newsad:  That's just simply amazing!  I couldn't have the patience for that!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005 - 11:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!! Your advice will be very helpful in the build.

4cruzin:
I`ll try to post pics as soon as I can. I am pretty excited to complete it. The purple color and white/black interior looks great together.

Does it have a black or a white interior???  If ya have a white top . . . needs to be a white interior too!  JMO     :grinyes:

Offline Wayne's 74

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005 - 02:58:56 AM »
 :thumbs: Got some nice cars there. Nice to see I'm not the only one hooked on these LOL. Got any more picts?

Offline budrinker

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005 - 06:33:28 AM »
they wouldnt let me have no more glue........