Author Topic: fan clutch or solid drive extension  (Read 4963 times)

Offline high perf mopar

fan clutch or solid drive extension
« on: June 14, 2013 - 09:28:56 PM »
will be addressing carb perculation issues tomorrow with 3 phenolic spacers and insulation for fuel lines,

starting looking at my fan clutch,its a new unit,can feel the drag while turning,7 blade factory fan 3/4's of the way into the shroud,would i be better to remove the clutch and install a solid drive fan spacer for better cooling?i know that in high RPM applications the clutch spares HP,,but i have alot of HP to spare..car is not raced,just amusement on back country roads,short burst's of tire smoking fun.cooling and air flow is more important.

does anybody use this system,hard drive fan?,any downsides to this? my thinking is it should draw/push alot more air....thoughts?
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: fan clutch or solid drive extension
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:26:38 AM »
A big aluminum radiator with an electric fan is the way to go. Better cooling, and lose 25 pounds.

However, spinning a fan up to 6000 rpm (or whatever the rpm is with the pulleys), with no slippage, seems to be a major
hp drag, with no beneficial cooling, since the car going fast provides a lot of air
through the radiator.

At 6000 rpm, a non slip fan may be a 40hp loss.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 - 12:28:16 AM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:37:07 AM »
Most electric fans don't come close to pulling the air that a mechanical fan does with a proper  shroud.  Of the aftermarket fans, the Spal pulls a lot of air give a good head pressure.  The Lincoln, Taurus, and HHR fans all have a good reputation for moving serious cfm.

They also can pull some serious amperage with most of the good ones pulling over 30 amps at kick on.  need a good alternator.

How much hp a mechanical fan pulls depends on the blade design and the rpm if there is no slippage involved.  15 hp would be on the high end from most tests I have seen and 5-10 would be more likely.

40 hp must have been the prop on a Piper Cub!  :D

I would use a clutch fan with a proper factory shroud.  Many of these fancy electric fans with aluminum shrouds are killed by the shallow shroud design that forces the air to make a near 90 deg turn on the outer parts of the core.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 - 12:38:59 AM by Strawdawg »

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:39:25 AM »
A big aluminum radiator with an electric fan is the way to go. Better cooling, and lose 25 pounds.

However, spinning a fan up to 6000 rpm (or whatever the rpm is with the pulleys), with no slippage, seems to be a major
hp drag, with no beneficial cooling, since the car going fast provides a lot of air
through the radiator.

At 6000 rpm, a non slip fan may be a 40hp loss.

yes,i realize that but.at lower speeds,lower RPM's,which is where i live most of the time,except freeway use,im wondering if it would be beneficial to switch to the hard drive?no race trak here..i guess it would be a cheap experiment to see.

just was wondering if anybody has done it...and to what effect...i once had to throw a $1000.00 be-cool aluminum rad unit with dual fans to cool a 482 inch p%ssed off hemi to live on the street,,,barely .
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:42:36 AM »
Most electric fans don't come close to pulling the air that a mechanical fan does with a proper  shroud.  Of the aftermarket fans, the Spal pulls a lot of air give a good head pressure.  The Lincoln, Taurus, and HHR fans all have a good reputation for moving serious cfm.

They also can pull some serious amperage with most of the good ones pulling over 30 amps at kick on.  need a good alternator.

How much hp a mechanical fan pulls depends on the blade design and the rpm if there is no slippage involved.  15 hp would be on the high end from most tests I have seen and 5-10 would be more likely.

I would use a clutch fan with a proper factory shroud.  Many of these fancy electric fans with aluminum shrouds are killed by the shallow shroud design that forces the air to make a near 90 deg turn on the outer parts of the core.

im already using the proper clutch fan and shroud...the question still stands,,,has anybody tried it without the clutch..temps?
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013 - 01:11:30 AM »
it will cool better with the clutch fan  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013 - 05:02:50 AM »

Well, I agree that a mechanical fan is a must for a copper brass radiator, and they can pull a lot of air, but my 13 amp 2100cfm electric cools 600 hp fine, with an aluminum radiator.

A solid shaft fan spinning at 6000 rpm seems pretty scary to me. Would have thought it would be up around 40hp loss, but it was just a guess. Guess I was envisioning the big heavy Mopar clutch fan I have sitting on a shelf in the garage, at 6000rpm (minus pulley ratios).

The 15 hp loss seems reasonable if it was a clutch fan.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 - 05:05:23 AM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013 - 05:10:39 AM »
found this. Looks like a solid mount fan at 4500 rpm loses 40 hp.

http://www.carnut.com/ramblin/dyno.html

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013 - 08:27:42 AM »
Thermal clutch would work better. Only fully engages when it's needed. And increased drag from the alternator
is constant with the electric fans.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013 - 09:45:31 AM »
Never understood fan power loss on a dyno. In the real world at 4500 rpm you are flying down the road and the fan is doing a lot less work as air is being forced through the radiator. Ma mopar used a big fan with an agressive pitch and a clutch to cool their biggest land yahts.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:00:20 PM »
Well, I agree that a mechanical fan is a must for a copper brass radiator, and they can pull a lot of air, but my 13 amp 2100cfm electric cools 600 hp fine, with an aluminum radiator.

A solid shaft fan spinning at 6000 rpm seems pretty scary to me. Would have thought it would be up around 40hp loss, but it was just a guess. Guess I was envisioning the big heavy Mopar clutch fan I have sitting on a shelf in the garage, at 6000rpm (minus pulley ratios).

The 15 hp loss seems reasonable if it was a clutch fan.

Bet your 13 amp 2100 cfm will not come close to 2100 when measured pulling thru the head pressure created by a big radiator.  If it did, you would be pulling a lot more than 13 amps  :)

Advertised amperage and cfm are subject to a lot of interpretation in the ad wars.

Unless they quote the number of inches of water for the numbers they advertise, it means very little.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:03:11 PM »
im already using the proper clutch fan and shroud...the question still stands,,,has anybody tried it without the clutch..temps?

Take the clutch off and replace it with a spacer to keep the fan located at the same place in the shroud and report your results :)  Cheap and easy

The key is a properly functioning clutch and they don't fail too often.  If it does not spin too easily, it should be working.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:17:29 PM »
 :iagree: with Strawdog. You still have to top up the electric reservoir by driving the alternator and that takes hp. As it has already been stated, as a retrofit on our cars,  electric fans cannot do what a stock clutch fan will do. Comparing a modern car is not an even comparison as the manufacturers design the shape of their front ends with cooling in mind so there is an efficiency increase factor there so less air required = better gas mileage.
I would heed what CP and others said - that was use a clutch fan. I have zero issues with mine over the last 4 seasons.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:44:03 PM »
Never understood fan power loss on a dyno. In the real world at 4500 rpm you are flying down the road and the fan is doing a lot less work as air is being forced through the radiator. Ma mopar used a big fan with an agressive pitch and a clutch to cool their biggest land yahts.

Pretty sure the air coming through my radiator tries to force the fan in the opposite direction it would normally turn.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013 - 12:48:02 PM »
An alternator draw of 57 amps is equivalent to using one horsepower.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000