Author Topic: keep chewing up rotors in distributor  (Read 960 times)

Offline resq302

keep chewing up rotors in distributor
« on: June 15, 2013 - 04:14:01 PM »
Ok, Im going a little bonkers now.  This is the second time that the rotor tip has gotten messed up.  The rivet that holds the sping steel to the tip disappeared.  Whats weird is that this all started happening after I just changed out one of the advance springs inside the distributor.  Both times this happened.  What would cause something like this?  The rotor is fully seated onto the distributor shaft so I know that isn't the problem.  It runs fine for a while and then all of a sudden when we are driving it just comes apart.

Need some ideas since my parents tenatively have a show tomorrow that is a decent drive away.  Vehicle is our 70 challenger convertible, 340 v-8, auto. electronic ignition conversion mopar perf. kit.

Thanks,

Brian

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: keep chewing up rotors in distributor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013 - 06:04:16 PM »
Ok, Im going a little bonkers now.  This is the second time that the rotor tip has gotten messed up.  The rivet that holds the sping steel to the tip disappeared.  Whats weird is that this all started happening after I just changed out one of the advance springs inside the distributor.  Both times this happened.  What would cause something like this?  The rotor is fully seated onto the distributor shaft so I know that isn't the problem.  It runs fine for a while and then all of a sudden when we are driving it just comes apart.

Need some ideas since my parents tenatively have a show tomorrow that is a decent drive away.  Vehicle is our 70 challenger convertible, 340 v-8, auto. electronic ignition conversion mopar perf. kit.

Thanks,

Brian

Don't know, but obviously changing out the advance springs is what started the problem. Maybe something was left out when you reassembled after changing
out the springs. I'd go back and carefully inspect. Maybe reinstall the original advance spring, to see if the problem goes away! Good luck!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline resq302

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013 - 06:13:40 PM »
I can't see how a distrubutor advance spring would cause the rotor to act up like that.    The only thing I can think of is that somehow the shaft is wobbling now which is causing it to mess up the rotor.   :dunno:  Im pretty sure that when it was out, the shaft had minimal to no play.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013 - 06:36:02 PM »
I can't see how a distrubutor advance spring would cause the rotor to act up like that.    The only thing I can think of is that somehow the shaft is wobbling now which is causing it to mess up the rotor.   :dunno:  Im pretty sure that when it was out, the shaft had minimal to no play.

I understand, but the fact that it did not happen until you changed something, means the thing you changed, or the manner in which you changed it, is most likely causing the problem. Maybe a spacer or washer or something was left out on reassembly. Seems like the only logical solution.  Maybe rotor is not in place like it should be. Its gonna take some careful scrutiny.

What kinda distributor is it? Model #, etc.

If rivits disappearing, the rotor not being fully on could cause that. Is it the correct distributor cap?
Rotors can be tricky to put on sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 - 06:59:37 PM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013 - 07:12:11 PM »
Under the rotor there is a piece of sponge , remove that & there is a small circlip holding the upper advance shaft onto the main shaft if it is not seated or bent the shaft could rise causing the rotor to hit the top of the terminals inside the cap , this is the first thing I would look at .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 - 07:16:09 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline resq302

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013 - 09:59:33 PM »
Ok, pulled the distributor apart tonight while I was at my parents house.  Shaft is perfectly straight and not bent.  Everything that I took out I put back the same way and nothing was put back wrong.  What appeared to be happening was that the pressure from the spring steel contact was causing the rivet to come out of the hole which held the two pieces of metal together.  (the spring steel piece and the tip that went and made the spark to the tower).  I think what was happening was that the cheap arse Carquest brand rotor plastic was heating up and would cause the rivet to loosen up.  the new BWD (I think its Borg Warner) is a LOT thicker and more solid / heavier gauge plastic.  Hopefully this was the problem as every rotor that went bad was the Carquest brand one.

The rotor is fully seated into the notch and the circular spring clip is back under the felt pad which I put a drop or two of oil on as I think that is a wick of some type.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013 - 01:59:55 AM »
Ok, pulled the distributor apart tonight while I was at my parents house.  Shaft is perfectly straight and not bent.  Everything that I took out I put back the same way and nothing was put back wrong.  What appeared to be happening was that the pressure from the spring steel contact was causing the rivet to come out of the hole which held the two pieces of metal together.  (the spring steel piece and the tip that went and made the spark to the tower).  I think what was happening was that the cheap arse Carquest brand rotor plastic was heating up and would cause the rivet to loosen up.  the new BWD (I think its Borg Warner) is a LOT thicker and more solid / heavier gauge plastic.  Hopefully this was the problem as every rotor that went bad was the Carquest brand one.

The rotor is fully seated into the notch and the circular spring clip is back under the felt pad which I put a drop or two of oil on as I think that is a wick of some type.

Cool, good detective work!
Ya, the cheap parts will burn ya everytime.
Try Summit!
Their shipping is cheaper than driving to the store.
Their people on the phone are also very knowledgeable.

www.summitracing.com
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 - 06:00:36 AM by cudabob496 »

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013 - 10:42:52 AM »

Just keep in mind that Carquest offers the "cheap line" and the premium line. You chose to save money on the economy version. Standard
Ignition is the supplier of their premium line and is a fine product.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline resq302

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013 - 10:55:38 AM »
I wasn't aware of that.  Dad just asked for a rotor and that is what they gave him.  He didn't mention anything about having options of getting different "brands".  Hopefully it is just the cheap one that they kept giving him.