Author Topic: Stripped exhaust head stud  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Stripped exhaust head stud
« on: June 21, 2013 - 09:27:44 AM »
Went to hang my headers on my rebuild and realized i had one exhaust stud missing. Found a replacement and went to install it   :banghead:  Now why couldnt my engine builder warn me i had a stripped hole?
And why couldnt he have repaired it!!! i paid enough to get the darn thing rebuilt. Okay enough ranting or whining.
Besides replacing the heads, what is my next option for repair? Can you use a hell-coil repair on the head? i realize it has to seal very well, because of the coolant behind it. The stud will go in and hold, it just wont tighten down. Can i put something on the threads and let it set up before i install header and tighten down thew nut? The stud is located at the front driver side.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Stripped exhaust head stud
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013 - 09:35:59 AM »
Timesert , it will seal far better than a Helicoil
 I would be choked at the machinist as well , , I bet you have to pull the head off to fix it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013 - 10:42:21 AM »
if you use a helicoil, you will have to coat it with some sealer before you screw it in....should work then

But, the timesert is a surer thing :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013 - 10:44:16 AM by Strawdawg »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013 - 10:51:54 AM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013 - 10:53:53 AM »
Heres a possiblity.

http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/reference/loctite_stripped_threads.pdf
It is defiantly worth a try. Nothing to lose, otherwise it is hell-coil time.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013 - 01:32:46 PM »
When you say the stud will go in & not tighten down, what exactly do you mean? Does the stud have a shoulder on it? If it's a thru hole, (and if it goes into the water jacket, then it is a thru hole) and the stud has a continuous thread, then it won't get tight, but just keep turning in. A proper header stud should have a shoulder approx. in the middle of the stud and it should screw in until it reaches the shoulder where it should bottom out and get tight. What type of stud are you using? The machinist in me is curious?  :clueless: My point being is that there may not be anything wrong with the bolt hole depending on what type of stud you are using.

Matt B.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 - 08:17:26 PM by moparmaniac59 »
Matt

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013 - 06:03:56 PM »

I guess it will be too much of a pain in the butt to have bolts as you will most likely have leaks because of the mopar head design.

No wonder folks assemble everything on the kmember instead of dropping it in from above as a buddy of mine said putting headers on his 70 Cuda was the biggest pain with studs.
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013 - 05:10:45 PM »
It's the correct stud, the threads are screwed up in the head. You can thread it in all the way and it just keeps turning once you get it in. I have tried part way in, but it still breaks loose when you try to tighten the nut down on the header flange.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013 - 08:54:59 PM »
Depending on where it is could you just drill and tap for the next bigger size? 7/16? and then use a bolt?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013 - 05:06:36 AM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013 - 06:55:27 AM »
Depending on where it is could you just drill and tap for the next bigger size? 7/16? and then use a bolt?

That's what I'd do.Or something similar.
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013 - 10:12:14 AM »
You will probably have to enlarge the hole in the header flange for a larger bolt &  if it is ceramic caoted it could start rusting there

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013 - 10:14:03 AM »
If you decide to drill/tap it out, try using a little vasoline (petroleum jelly) on your drill bit and tap. The shavings/chips will stick to it and it will keep the metal shavings from going into your water jacket!  :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013 - 10:23:08 PM »
After visiting with our mechanics at the farm shop, i decided to go ahead and use a helicoil kit to fix it. i have nothing to lose at this point. if i fail at that then i will just pull the head and take it to a machine shop. i am sure lucky that it is the one in the front and easy to get too. i like the vaseline idea, our mechanic said to use a little grease to do the same thing. He said to be slow and patient with tapping. Not sure thats me, but what the heck.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013 - 11:25:18 PM »
After visiting with our mechanics at the farm shop, i decided to go ahead and use a helicoil kit to fix it. i have nothing to lose at this point. if i fail at that then i will just pull the head and take it to a machine shop. i am sure lucky that it is the one in the front and easy to get too. i like the vaseline idea, our mechanic said to use a little grease to do the same thing. He said to be slow and patient with tapping. Not sure thats me, but what the heck.

Think in the future I will try Time-Serts over heli-coils.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000